Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Renaissance - Northern Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 11:56
^ Well, whatever keeps you out of the politics thread is great with me. Keep it up.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 12:14
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ Well, whatever keeps you out of the politics thread is great with me. Keep it up.

The American Politics thread would be no fun at all if everyone was of the same political persuasion on there. It's fair and balanced, just like Fox News. Wink
FloydianPinkRose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FloydianPinkRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2019 at 14:25
Psychedelic Paul, you are indeed the Master of weaving a magnificent tale using just the names of songs from an album. It amazes me that you can do this so we'll. You definitely have a unique talent and it's wonderful to see other music enthusiasts giving you the praise you deserve. I can't wait to read the YES blog coming soon and see the colored words to help illuminate the titles for me. By all means, keep up the good work. I'll be here to sing your praises! Thank you. FloydianPinkRose. Your #1 fan.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2019 at 15:45
Originally posted by FloydianPinkRose FloydianPinkRose wrote:

Psychedelic Paul, you are indeed the Master of weaving a magnificent tale using just the names of songs from an album. It amazes me that you can do this so well. You definitely have a unique talent and it's wonderful to see other music enthusiasts giving you the praise you deserve. I can't wait to read the YES blog coming soon and see the colored words to help illuminate the titles for me. By all means, keep up the good work. I'll be here to sing your praises! Thank you. FloydianPinkRose. Your #1 fan.
Thank You FloydianPinkRose. You're as sweet and fragrant as a FRAGILE pink rose. Heart I'm CLOSE TO THE EDGE of making a start on my upcoming blog, which promises to be a BIG GENERATOR of YESSONGSTIME AND A WORD will tell how long the eventual TALES OF TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS will take to write. THE YES ALBUM story is filled with DRAMA and there's been TALK of a YES re-UNION at various times throughout the years. I hope the story of YES will OPEN YOUR EYES and throw some MAGNIFICATION on their RELAYER race to climb THE LADDER of success and attain THE KEYS TO ASCENSION

I needed to move HEAVEN & EARTH to write this reply before I  FLY FROM HERE this evening. It's getting late here in England where it's already 90125, or 1 minute and 25 seconds past 9pm. I'm hungry and GOING FOR THE ONE  cheese and TORMATO pizza still left in the freezer. Wink

All twenty-one YES album titles in BLOCK CAPITALS

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 28 2019 at 00:33
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2019 at 21:50
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

When you mentioned Magna Carta I thought of the English Prog-Folk band. This is my favourite Magna Carta song.....

me too, though I also really like "Ring of Stones" and "Two Old Friends".  Lord of the Ages is by far my fave Magna Carta album

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2019 at 00:39
I Love Magna Carta's "Airport Song" Heart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 04:27
Have you ever wondered what Northern Lights would sound like with Judith Durham of The Seekers on lead vocals? No, me neither. Smile

Adaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 05:30

Have you ever wondered what Northern Lights would sound like with Judith Durham of The Seekers on lead vocals? No, me neither. Smile

Covering a tune sung by Annie Haslam is basically begging for unfavorable comparisons.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 06:24
Originally posted by Adaon Adaon wrote:

Covering a tune sung by Annie Haslam is basically begging for unfavorable comparisons.
Stephanie Adlington will vouch for that. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 06:55
A rare song from the often overlooked  "Songs from Renaissance Days" (1997) album, with Annie Haslam Back Home Once Again on vocal duties. Smile

Renaissance - Africa

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 12:39

The PROLOGUE to this tale begins with a TRIP TO THE FAIR, held annually by THE SISTERS of Mercy charity. The trip led to THE DISCOVERY of the book "One Thousand and One Nights". I REMEMBER the GOLDEN THREAD of the story concerns THE CAPTIVE HEART of SCHEHERAZADE, THE ENTERTAINER of the RAJAH KHAN, a MIDAS MAN of immense riches with a BLACK FLAME burning in his heart. The AIR OF DRAMA in the OPENING OUT of the story tells how SCHEHERAZADE finds the GOLDEN KEY to saving her life is to relate the tale of the 1001 nights. She wins over the JEKYLL AND HYDE nature of the King with her exotic tales, and he shows her KINDNESS AT THE END by managing to SPARE SOME LOVE in his black heart by marrying his PRECIOUS LOVE. She becomes his queen in this dramatic tale of [COLOR=red]KINGS AND QUEENS and lost INNOCENCE. One of the PEARLS OF WISDOM I learned from the book is that LOVE GOES ON to conquer all in the end when  LOVE IS ALL you need.

I'm a WANDERER at heart and the book inspired me to travel on a SECRET MISSION to the DISTANT HORIZONS of Istanbul ON THE FRONTIER of Asia aboard the ORIENT EXPRESS. It sometimes feels like time is RUNNING AWAY FROM YOU and I was RUNNING HARD like a BULLET  out of a gun in THE RACE to arrive on time AT THE HARBOUR. I arrived just in time to set sail across the English Channel on the OCEAN GYPSY ferry and leave behind the ISLAND of Great Britain. I love the SOUNDS OF THE SEA and it was a beautiful day IN THE SUNSHINE, underneath the CARPET OF THE SUN which glimmered like sparkling PORCELAIN.

Upon arrival in France, I felt like I was BOUND FOR INFINITY, with the most dramatic adventure IN MY LIFE just beginning. CAN YOU UNDERSTAND how good it felt to realise a dream when I'd LET IT GROW in my heart for so long? I still had a long way to go though but at least I was CLOSER THAN YESTERDAY to realising my dream. The FACE OF YESTERDAY was behind me now because this was the DAY OF THE DREAMER. I dreamed of  travelling to exotic places like the ISLAND of KALYNDA, A MAGICAL ISLE with a WATERFALL which sparkles BLOOD SILVER LIKE MOONLIGHT and where THE VULTURES FLY HIGH in their FLIGHT over distant shores. That was about as likely as seeing FAERIES LIVING AT THE BOTTOM OF THE GARDEN though and my dreams vanished as quickly as the flames on a funeral pyre when only the ASHES ARE BURNING.

My real ambition was to eventually travel north from Istanbul to KIEV to experience exotic THINGS I DON'T UNDERSTAND, including those mysterious UKRAINE WAYS. I'd have to be careful to avoid TOUCHING ONCE on the delicate subject of the recent war with Russia though. I was planning  to head to the  northwest of MOTHER RUSSIA where I'd heard the extreme COLD IS BEING like the inside of a freezer. I'd love to see the NORTHERN LIGHTS for the first time with their MAJIK shimmering SYMPHONY OF LIGHT. It'd be like one of those awesome moments when you could sing A SONG FOR ALL SEASONS and CRY TO THE WORLD with joy and shout "CAN YOU HEAR ME now"?

I had a long journey ahead but I was looking forward to being  BACK HOME ONCE AGAIN with my FRIENDS, when I'd be sure to remind them that I THINK OF YOU when I'm away.

All song titles in HIGHLIGHTS by Renaissance

Psychedelic Paul I look forward to seeing your post so please carry on
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 13:10
^ Thanks! How about this rarity from the Nevada (Renaissance) album, Pictures in the Fire, recorded in 1981-82, but not released until the year 2000. Hug

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2021 at 04:13
The Complete Renaissance Discography including:- Illusion; Annie Haslam solo; Jane Relf's Renaissance; Michael Dunford's Renaissance; & Annie Haslam's Nevada! Smile

5 stars 1975: Renaissance - Scheherazade and Other Stories - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzDgVPezd4CDucu7iewHWO1a
 5 stars 1976: Renaissance - Live at Carnegie Hall - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzDOnLYsyDrS3q1TZCKagors
 5 stars 1977: Renaissance - Live at the BBC Sight & Sound - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzA9jwulhettWzOwBETXxFjV
 5 stars 1978: Renaissance - A Song for All Seasons - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBknz6eRGBZDvHi34IU-egg
 4 stars 1994: Annie Haslam - Blessing in Disguise - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzDFua7-v1tm_4bJVnxXT8PQ
 3 stars 1994: Michael Dunford's Renaissance - The Other Woman (no playlist currently available Confused)
 3 stars 1997: Michael Dunford's Renaissance - Ocean Gypsy (no playlist currently available Confused)
 3 stars 1997: Renaissance - Songs from Renaissance Days - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCBay2KqM-bXgiZVfIVwFLt
 4 stars 1997: Annie Haslam - Live in Philadelphia - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBXmhVhtH_JvzxIL0XGHySj
 4 stars 1998: Annie Haslam - Live Under Brazilian Skies - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzA17r7Nj8QlKnFrTmJ5zJ3r
 3 stars 2000: Annie Haslam - It Snows in Heaven Too - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCuL8RNTj6aRgO2VpNU2vEP
 3 stars 2000: Annie Haslam's Nevada - Pictures in the Fire - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCqHhEao6vdKpCJZ_QkllTu
 4 stars 2001: Renaissance Illusion - Through the Fire - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzB6nIaz74g4UMMlZFtkorMe
 4 stars 2002: Renaissance - In the Land of the Rising Sun - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzB8vjW6Z-8vVdhGIH_jJ_z-
 4 stars 2002: Annie Haslam - One Enchanted Evening - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBwi5NA_FR-Ax3_5-KCJDV-
 5 stars 2008: Jane's Renaissance: The Complete Jane Relf Collection - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mvCdYFHpJN_UOBNSwICSg_6HOv5Z4denQ
 4 stars 2015: Renaissance - Live at the Union Chapel - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzA-hYWcF3-pkDpPi9UvcS24
 5 stars 2018: Renaissance - A Symphonic Journey -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCrxDU1rVreTB_968mjMt6y

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 07 2021 at 05:05
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2021 at 11:14
^ 14 five star reviews

I guess you quite like them Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2021 at 18:15

I believe Blackmore's Night did a cover of Ocean Gipsy on their first album, though I haven't heard it yet.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2021 at 21:15
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I believe Blackmore's Night did a cover of Ocean Gipsy on their first album, though I haven't heard it yet.
You don't wanna hear that one, I promise you. 

Judith's cover of Northern Lights is one of the very few where the singer compares well to Annie. I don't think Northern Lights is meant to be sung as exuberantly as Judith did but that's a matter of interpretation and it holds up well in its own right. 

Edited by rogerthat - January 08 2021 at 08:31
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2021 at 01:49
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ 14 five star reviews

Renaissance are my favourite prog band, so I may be overly-generous in handing out 5-star ratings. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2021 at 05:27

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ 14 five star reviews

Renaissance are my favourite prog band, so I may be overly-generous in handing out 5-star ratings. Smile

it's good you admit you are overly-generous. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2021 at 05:44
^ Especially when it comes to Renaissance, although I could never be accused of being overly-generous with my ratings for King Crimson or Van der Graaf Generator. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 08 2021 at 05:45
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2021 at 21:39
This was a pretty good cover of Ashes Are Burning:

So that's one more other than Judith Dirham.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>