Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Renaissance - Northern Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 03:56
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ Especially when it comes to Renaissance, although I could never be accused of being overly-generous with my ratings for King Crimson or Van der Graaf Generator. Tongue

how can you be overly-generous with bands you dislike? LOL
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 04:45
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ Especially when it comes to Renaissance, although I could never be accused of being overly-generous with my ratings for King Crimson or Van der Graaf Generator. Tongue

how can you be overly-generous with bands you dislike? LOL
 I can't, but I don't dislike all of their albums. After all, I gave 5-star ratings to In the Court of the Crimson King, The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other & H to He, Who Am the Only One. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2023 at 03:10
My Top 10 Renaissance Songs (in alphabetical order)

Ashes Are Burning
At the Harbour
Carpet of the Sun
Face of Yesterday
Mother Russia
Northern Lights
Ocean Gypsy
Running Hard
A Song for All Seasons
Song of Scheherazade 
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2023 at 15:34
Excellent storytelling!! Excellent work!! I really enjoyed this
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2023 at 16:39
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

Excellent storytelling!! Excellent work!! I really enjoyed this

Thanks! It was fun to write too. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 16:16
2 stars 1983: Renaissance - Time-Line - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kkENx6uE_Jx4iviNzsI0cufhckMrmhIPc

Bass player Jon Camp was convinced that Time-Line was the best Renaissance album at the time of its release, although that may be because he produced it, but I'm guessing he's on Chagrin Boulevard now. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 10 2023 at 16:17
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 17:44

2 stars 1983: Renaissance - Time-Line - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kkENx6uE_Jx4iviNzsI0cufhckMrmhIPc

Bass player Jon Camp was convinced that Time-Line was the best Renaissance album at the time of its release, although that may be because he produced it, but I'm guessing he's on Chagrin Boulevard now. Tongue

Amazingly, for once we agree, 2 stars for me, too (and don't worry, I didn't just listen to it because you gave it two stars). Quite remarkable that Camp thought this is great. Maybe the record company forced him to say that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2023 at 17:58
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Amazingly, for once we agree, 2 stars for me, too (and don't worry, I didn't just listen to it because you gave it two stars). Quite remarkable that Camp thought this is great. Maybe the record company forced him to say that.
Yes, it makes a change for me to give a 2-star rating to anything other than an Avant Prog album. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 08:03
Annie Haslam in conversation with classical composer, The Daily Doug - a recent convert to the wonderful music of Renaissance after he heard Things I Don't Understand for the first time, which Doug DID understand, as he dissected the song note for note and played along with it on his piano too. Smile

Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 08:33
^ I love Annie Haslam and Renaissance. I will watch that video later. Thanks for posting! Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 08:54
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

^ I love Annie Haslam and Renaissance. I will watch that video later. Thanks for posting! Smile

Me too! I'll have more Renaissance songs and Daily Doug's reactions to them coming up here later, but first of all, here's Annie's interview with Pete Pardo at Sea of Tranquility. Thumbs Up

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 11:45
With his extensive background in classical composition, The Daily Doug demonstrates a deeper understanding of Things I Don't Understand, despite never having listened to Renaissance previously. 
Just watch Doug's awestruck reaction when he hears the marvellous sound of Renaissance for the first time.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 12 2023 at 12:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2023 at 16:52
Having gained a deeper understanding of Renaissance by listening to Things I Don't Understand, The Daily Doug now prepares to be blown away by the epic, classically-inspired Song of Scheherazade, from Live at Carnegie Hall. To say Doug is impressed would be an understatement. He really loves those chromatic minor third diminished chords. 
 In Doug's words, "Triple awesome!" Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 12 2023 at 16:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2023 at 11:10
In the Final Analysis, The Daily Doug gives his own unique perspective on A Song for All Seasons.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2023 at 16:26
^ I like Doug’s channel. He’s fun and he is exploring the music rabbit hole very well.
Love his Dream Theater and Iron Maiden videos.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2023 at 21:00

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - August 29 2023 at 08:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2023 at 06:28
E3 to G6!  No, it's not a chess move  but Annie Haslam's incredible vocal range. You'll know she's reached G6 when your wineglass shatters in your hand. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 01 2023 at 08:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2023 at 10:31
Renaissance - a rare live performance from Studio Luxembourg in 1974. So rare in fact that the video popped up on YouTube just now when I wasn't even looking for it. Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2023 at 20:44
I've been following their music for decades. I never checked out their last 2 releases. One of those releases was mostly written by the late great Michael Dunford. I listened to yet another release that I wasn't particularly fond of it was titled THE OTHER WOMAN.

They are a cure for pendatry. Whatever kind of pain is dispersing through your body Renaissance can cure it. Whether it be the first incarnation with Jane Relf, the transitional line up with BINKY or the classic Annie Haslam group.

They go right to the center of my being destroying encompassing disaster within me.

Renaissance ( s/t)
Illusion
Prologue
Ashes Are Burning
Turn Of The Cards
Scheherazade (and other stories)
Live Carnegie Hall
Novella
Azure d'Or

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 05:09
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

And here's a Renaissance interview with Jon Camp and Annie Haslam from the Time-Line of 1983 to coincide with the release of their "best" album. LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>