FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prague Archives - East European Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
aiky1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aiky1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prague Archives - East European Prog
    Posted: November 24 2023 at 04:43
I've heard his albums
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2023 at 03:46
A-Z of East European Prog

ANTONY KALUGIN    Multi-talented multi-instrumentalist Antony Kalugin is the Ukraine's answer to Mike Oldfield, and he could probably beat you at chess too. You may know Antony best as the man behind Symphonic Prog band Karfagen. His six superb solo albums truly are one-man-wonders with little or no outside help involved. You don't have to take my word for it though. Just sample some magical Marshmallow Moondust from the selection below before it blows away like dust in the wind. I guarantee you'll be blown away by this outstanding album too, or you can call me "Vladimir".
Do pobachennya! Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 30 2023 at 03:48
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2023 at 10:58

Smile
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2023 at 13:41

Okay, Paul, I have to admit, you're not afraid of getting me started, but I guess, we better just accept that sometimes, 
we have very different views of things. Wink

Edited by David_D - March 31 2023 at 14:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2023 at 13:30
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

ANTETHIC    The Russians are coming, and they come bearing gifts of dour, post-communist Post Rock. Well, what else are you going to do but drink vodka, curse Putin and create gloomy, doom-laden shoegaze music together when you live in a draughty, cramped apartment in Leningrad? It may be antithetical to say this, but Russia has never been the Magical World of plenty that Stalinist propaganda would have you believe. Ouch 

Something else is, Paul, that there can be different reasons behind "creating gloomy, doom-laden shoegaze music", and I guess, it's not only Russian phenomenon - actually, I'm interested in the subject. Smile

Well, besides gazing at your shoes, if you're ever in Moscow, you could march, march, march across Red Square, and do all the things you never dared, although I've heard Moscow is so dangerous these days that even seasoned war reporter Kate Adie is scared to go there. Shocked

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2023 at 13:05

ANTETHIC    The Russians are coming, and they come bearing gifts of dour, post-communist Post Rock. Well, what else are you going to do but drink vodka, curse Putin and create gloomy, doom-laden shoegaze music together when you live in a draughty, cramped apartment in Leningrad? It may be antithetical to say this, but Russia has never been the Magical World of plenty that Stalinist propaganda would have you believe. Ouch 

Something else is, Paul, that there can be different reasons behind "creating gloomy, doom-laden shoegaze music", and I guess, it's not only Russian phenomenon - actually, I'm interested in the subject. Smile

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 10:27

Yes, but I think, it's better to be cautious with not to creating too gloomy picture of the life in Russia, or the whole "East European" region in the pre-1989 years for that sake. I can for instance tell that my experiences as a child with the life in Poland , and that means until 1972, were much more positive than the general picture of it drawn in the Western media. Smile

When that is said, I have to stress that I definitely am not fond of Stalinist propaganda and other methods, and it worries me to see what I think of as significantly increased usage of them in the Western economic and political life in the last 10-15 years. Ermm

Sometimes, I think you take my posts a little too seriously. Tongue

LOL   You know, my posts, even being replies to yours, can also be directed to others.

Edited by David_D - March 30 2023 at 11:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 07:57

Yes, but I think, it's better to be cautious with not to creating too gloomy picture of the life in Russia, or the whole "East European" region in the pre-1989 years for that sake. I can for instance tell that my experiences as a child with the life in Poland , and that means until 1972, were much more positive than the general picture of it drawn in the Western media. Smile

When that is said, I have to stress that I definitely am not fond of Stalinist propaganda and other methods, and it worries me to see what I think of as significantly increased usage of them in the Western economic and political life in the last 10-15 years. Ermm

Sometimes, I think you take my posts a little too seriously. Tongue
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 07:41

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 06:23

Dzieki. Thumbs Up

I ja tez dziekuje. Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 06:09

Dzieki. Thumbs Up
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 05:56

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2023 at 05:04

ANTETHIC
    The Russians are coming, and they come bearing gifts of dour, post-communist Post Rock. Well, what else are you going to do but drink vodka, curse Putin and create gloomy, doom-laden shoegaze music together, when you live in a draughty, cramped apartment in Leningrad? It may be antithetical to say this, but Russia has never been the Magical World of plenty that Stalinist propaganda would have you believe. Ouch 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 24 2023 at 11:36
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2023 at 16:37

It's good to know I'm not alone in preferring Ankh over King Crimson. Smile

You surely got me there. 
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2023 at 14:58

ANKH    The Ankh is the ancient Egyptian symbol of eternal life, and this powerful Heavy Prog band looks set to be around for a long time.  It may be pure frippery to say this, but Ankh are Poland's answer to King Crimson - only better! Co ja powiedzialem! Shocked
Only a pity, they're almost unknown and very low rated on PA and RYM Big smile, but anyway I guess, we'll be able soon to talk Polish together. Big smile
Tak! We have Polish prog to thankh for that. Wink

In addition, it's probably the only time when my ratings have been in line with PA's overall ratings. Smile

While Ankh are still better than King Crimson. LOL

LOL Shocked Angry LOL Big smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2023 at 14:44

ANKH    The Ankh is the ancient Egyptian symbol of eternal life, and this powerful Heavy Prog band looks set to be around for a long time.  It may be pure frippery to say this, but Ankh are Poland's answer to King Crimson - only better! Co ja powiedzialem! Shocked
Only a pity, they're almost unknown and very low rated on PA and RYM Big smile, but anyway I guess, we'll be able soon to talk Polish together. Big smile

In addition, it's probably the only time when my ratings have been in line with PA's overall ratings. Smile

And while we're on the subject of King Crimson, I Love Rock & Roll, especially when it's performed by Robert & Toyah.  Thumbs Up

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2023 at 14:18

What is Poland most famous for? Well, there's Pope John Paul II of course; and then there's Polish plumbers; spicy Polish sausage; and Polish 100% proof white spirit that will blow your head clean off; ........

LOL   interesting 

Edited by David_D - March 29 2023 at 14:20
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2023 at 14:14

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2023 at 10:30

ANNALIST    What is Poland most famous for? Well, there's Pope John Paul II of course; and then there's Polish plumbers; spicy Polish sausage; and Polish 100% proof white spirit that will blow your head clean off; and last but not least, there's Neo Prog, where Poland is in pole position in the East European progosphere. Polish band Annalist won't come 'round and unblock your sink or serve you up a tasty sausage, but they will entertain you with some rather excellent prog (especially on their amazing debut album). It should be a papal edict that everyone listens to some Polish prog at least once in their life. The discography below even includes Annalist's latest 2012 offering, "Syrinx", which hasn't yet made its way into ProgArchives hallowed halls. Smile 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 24 2023 at 11:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2023 at 15:18

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 28 2023 at 15:50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>