Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jethro Tull Legendary?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Is Jethro Tull legendary just for every album up to A Passion Play?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [57.14%]
14 [40.00%]
1 [2.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jethro Tull Legendary?
    Posted: November 20 2019 at 11:32
Beyond:

Songs from the Wood
Heavy Horses
Stormwatch
A
Crest of a Knave

All outstanding albums.

Consider:
Nobody would deny that Deep Purple are legendary.  Yet few listen to anything beyond Made in Japan, maybe Stormbringer or Burn, with the comeback album Perfect Strangers popping up for a few.  Lots of completely unknown, and widely panned albums after that.  

So how is Tull any different?  If anything, Tull's classic period lasted longer.  

Could say the same thing about Yes.  Lots of albums on the trash heap of musical history there.  

Edited by Fischman - November 20 2019 at 11:34
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2019 at 02:04
Of course Tull are legends. Epics, great songs, performances. Winning Grammy without trying in a category for which they were only marginally eligible. Many one hit wonders are legends and Tull... well they've a few.

Just up to APP? Yes. And then we go on.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 01:50
I can't help think that the question is not asking whether they are legendary or not ( as they obviously are) but more whether that status has been achieved by just the early albums or whether the later albums pulled them over the line. Trouble is it's totally impossible to answer the question unless you were there and remember it!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 18:46
Wouldn't any of the Big 6 by definition be considered legendary?

I can see not liking Tull, but there's no doubt they are a legendary band. Simple as that.  
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 17:37
I committed the unforgivable sin of missing Jethro Tull out of my recent Progressive Rock poll, but luckily, I managed to slot them into the poll as an afterthought before it became a "poll fail." Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 15 2019 at 17:38
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 17:28
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Get the remix album books before you rate Tull. You get sooo much more than the old albums. Heaps of excellent bonus tracks. The sound quality is awesome. Go get Stormwatch, Horses, Songs boxes and you will consider 77-79 Tull easily as good as 71-73. The biggest surprises are the 74, 76 and 79 bonus material. I have all 12 remix books so far. They’re all amazing really. I’d say 1979 is their best year. Can’t stop listening to the double album worth of tunes with the new sound quality. You really need to get these sets to see what I mean. I can’t really choose between these sets.

Aqualung, Thick, Passion, Warchild, Songs, Horses, Stormwatch.
All pretty excellent. . Most of these have double and triple albums worth of studio tracks

Be quick though. Too Old, Horses and Stormwatch are still available but these digibooks are limited editions. Some are asking $500 for SFTW at the moment...glad I've grabbed a copy in time.

They need to do 50th anniversary editions or at least a cd with all the tracks with Wilson remixes.

Yes, the remixes are fantastic. Wilson did a terrific job here but tbh I would not have bought them if it wasn't for the live material included. My priority was the folk trilogy and I have to admit that having these quality re-issues in my collection is just awesome.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive but I got sent all the studio and I have Watchers of the storm boot. SFTW, Horses are 4.5 star boxes and Stormwatch is 5 star. I just get them for the studio stuff and the books. Warchild and Passion are 4.5 star, Thick 5 star. Minstrel, Stand, Too, This are at least 4 star. Hopefully Benefit comes out in the book next year for it's 50th. It's rare to find excellent live stuff. Watchers, Carnegie and Bursting are all you need of the live stuff imo. 

Edited by dr prog - November 15 2019 at 17:30
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 13:38

Get the remix album books before you rate Tull. You get sooo much more than the old albums. Heaps of excellent bonus tracks. The sound quality is awesome. Go get Stormwatch, Horses, Songs boxes and you will consider 77-79 Tull easily as good as 71-73. The biggest surprises are the 74, 76 and 79 bonus material. I have all 12 remix books so far. They’re all amazing really. I’d say 1979 is their best year. Can’t stop listening to the double album worth of tunes with the new sound quality. You really need to get these sets to see what I mean. I can’t really choose between these sets.

All pretty excellent. . Most of these have double and triple albums worth of studio tracks

Be quick though. Too Old, Horses and Stormwatch are still available but these digibooks are limited editions. Some are asking $500 for SFTW at the moment...glad I've grabbed a copy in time.

They need to do 50th anniversary editions or at least a cd with all the tracks with Wilson remixes.

Yes, the remixes are fantastic. Wilson did a terrific job here but tbh I would not have bought them if it wasn't for the live material included. My priority was the folk trilogy and I have to admit that having these quality re-issues in my collection is just awesome.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 13:29
They were legendary.....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 13:20
Yes as Tull almost always gets lumped in with the big names like Yes, Floyd and Genesis, if they deserve it or not.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 13:16

All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 13:04

frankbostick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbostick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 08:59
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Is Jethro Tull legendary just for every album up to until A Passion Play?

yes

Big smile

Thumbs Up
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 08:34

Short answer NO

Everything they did from This Was (1968) to Stormwatch (1979) are legendary albums that anyone hooked on them must at least hear or preferable own.

Including Living in the Past (72) and Bursting Out (78)

Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 04:00

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 00:35
Strange question . I said NO as they are legendary for a lot of albums including even The Christmas Album.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 20:08
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Not sure how they could not be considered legendary.  
Sure, there's a bit of a slow start and spotty releases late, but there are so many great albums, including some badly underrated gems, that they have to be considered legendary. 

Would we trash Floyd because of Obscured, Momentary Lapse and Division Bell?  Do we say Genesis is not legendary because of the Collins era?  And Yes?  Also a slow start and a batch of late albums that is worse than just spotty.  
From my point of view, Obscured by Clouds, A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell are three Pink Floyd albums I love, so they're part of what makes Pink Floyd a legendary band. Smile

That's great, but the point is that they are not widely considered to be great albums.  They generally receive lukewarm reception and some outright derision.  

Similarly, I genuinely love most of the later Tull albums, but I know they are not widely considered to be great albums.  My point is that even with some less than universally acclaimed albums, that doesn't diminish all the truly legendary stuff Tull did.  Pink Floyd is the proof of that logic.... as is every band in the big six, plus Rush, Kansas, etc.  
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 17:03
Why would they just be legendary for albums up to 1973? Odd question. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 15:55
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Sure, there's a bit of a slow start and spotty releases late, but there are so many great albums, including some badly underrated gems, that they have to be considered legendary. 

Would we trash Floyd because of Obscured, Momentary Lapse and Division Bell?  Do we say Genesis is not legendary because of the Collins era?  And Yes?  Also a slow start and a batch of late albums that is worse than just spotty.  
From my point of view, Obscured by Clouds, A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell are three Pink Floyd albums I love, so they're part of what makes Pink Floyd a legendary band. Smile
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 15:40

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 10:40

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I would not classify Tull's first three releases or APP legendary.

Reported.

Such heretic comments surely deserves a 6 months ban, at the very least.
Maybe it was just a hectic comment said on the spur of the moment. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>