2 [5.41%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
16 [43.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 06:41
Hi moshkito,

I'm sure every player I listed can play Stick. That seems to be your criteria for a good bass player. You seem to have the opinion that only jazz cats... Jackson, Clarke, McBride, Pastorious, etc., can play the bass well. Thing is, none of them play Stick. Oh and I didn't include Nick Beggs because he isn't as good as the others listed.

Finally, bass player magazine recently had Victor Wooten on the cover. I assume you find him a second rate bass player?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 06:59
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Expand your bass jargon ... and stop reading "Bass Player" for all the second and their rate bass players they talk to you about!

I assume that second bit is supposed to say something about second rate bass players, it doesn't make sense.

I'm still interested to learn how much experience of bass playing you actually have.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 11:33
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Hi moshkito,

I'm sure every player I listed can play Stick. That seems to be your criteria for a good bass player. You seem to have the opinion that only jazz cats... Jackson, Clarke, McBride, Pastorious, etc., can play the bass well. Thing is, none of them play Stick. Oh and I didn't include Nick Beggs because he isn't as good as the others listed.

Finally, bass player magazine recently had Victor Wooten on the cover. I assume you find him a second rate bass player?

Hi,

Incorrect ... I mentioned those because they are fabulous players and have stood out their whole life playing a lot more than just beat music that is not about the expanding of the quality and strength of the music. 

And no ... jazz folks are not the only folks that can play the bass well, but to EXPAND ITS ABILITIES, you have to get out of the music that is strictly designed on a song format ... and most rock music is just that! To me, the Stick, was about the expansion of the abilities of the instrument into a different area in music ... and none of us is complaining about Tony Levin! But there are other outstanding Stick players (Don Schiff is a perfect example) that is not appreciated for his work with The Rocket Scientists (Lana Lane) ... but here it's all about the fame and the size of the fan base in the list!

Too many bass players are not mentioned, and probably one that should but will never even get a listen is LOTHAR MEID from Amon Duul 2 ... and in their first 10 or more albums ... music that changed so much, and he never batted an eye lash ... just changed with it, and made the music seem stronger and better! And so much of the music was "improvised" ... and I can't find an incorrect note anywhere!

(And for your knowledge, John Myung is someone I really like and I would love to see him do more in the band, and cut down the metal stuff form the guitar by 10% and give it to the bass player! I also enjoy a lot of Les Claypool!)

Edited by moshkito - March 28 2020 at 11:38
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 12:18
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Keeping time is one of the hardest things to master, it can take years for a young musician to be able to maintain a steady tempo with a drummer, and many more years to become a professional-level player.   And that goes for all instruments, not just bass.

I once started a thread about how the most important instrument in an ensemble is the bass.
Hi,
For rock music, maybe ... but then, "keeping time" is something that is only found in the hands of the conductor in classical music ... there is no "time" for a symphony, when it can change various times depending on the procession of themes and designs of the music ... and that would be something that a "modern" bass player would not even try, because it's like saying that all he/she can do is count to stay on "beat" ... and not all music is BEAT DRIVEN. 

Your assumption is that all bass players are beat driven ... and that's it in bass playing ... AND THAT IS NOT TRUE!

Expand your bass jargon ... and stop reading "Bass Player" for all the second and third rate bass players they talk to you about!

Hi !

Shove your petty, presumptuous nonsense up your bunghole, little buddy.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 13:05
Geddy Lee has got better looking for sure Big smile

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 01:28
Joe Dart of Vulfpeck.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 02:46

Hi moshkito,

Oh and I didn't include Nick Beggs because he isn't as good as the others listed.

I'm doubtful that your list is the absolute truth to be honest. Beggs is a fantastic player and you would know that from The Raven That Refused To Sing. As much as I love Big Big Train he is not the inferior of Greg Spawton in my estimation but of course it's all opinion. You just can't 'know' this stuff.

BTW My favourite bass player of all time is Klaus Peter Matziol of Eloy if you want a reference point for my taste on the matter of bass.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 03:09
Clive Mitten  and Colin Bass 
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 23:14
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Hi moshkito,

Oh and I didn't include Nick Beggs because he isn't as good as the others listed.

I'm doubtful that your list is the absolute truth to be honest. Beggs is a fantastic player and you would know that from The Raven That Refused To Sing. As much as I love Big Big Train he is not the inferior of Greg Spawton in my estimation but of course it's all opinion. You just can't 'know' this stuff.

BTW My favourite bass player of all time is Klaus Peter Matziol of Eloy if you want a reference point for my taste on the matter of bass.
Yeah I don't think you should be saying that one isn't as good as the others. While I didn't vote for Nick Beggs personally I also think the guy is a brilliant bassist.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 01:38
Nick Beggs and Colin Edwin get my vote. Both are huge players with big sound, so many huge bass lines from Colin in Porcupine Tree music and Beggs bass line on Luminol is crazy good.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 06:37
Lots of people praising Nick Beggs. Do you all like his band The Mute Gods? Do you believe his writing and playing on those albums merits your praise? Also, didn't see his 2019 release Atheists and Believers mentioned on any best of the year list.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - March 30 2020 at 08:25
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 18:46
Thought this poll was about playing, not composition. I've listened to Mute Gods and didn't like it that much, but that's not to say Nick Beggs isn't a great bass player.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123