2 [5.41%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
16 [43.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 17:08
Richard Bona

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 00:47
Steve Babb is really good with the old Ricky. I also like Colin Edwin a lot . Pity no place on the list for either of the IQ bass players. John Jowitt in particular should always be on any list of bass players New or Old (IMO).
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 07:23
Bryan Beller and Dave Larue are a tie for first place in my list, even though there are others who are really excellent.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 07:32
Randy George just gets it...
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 15:36
Other: Jeeff Désilets (Hamadryad).
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2019 at 18:29
I managed to connect this young fellow with my friend, Percy Jones, and Percy raved about him!  Keep your eyes open of Gabriel Severn, he's going to make a huge impact someday! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2019 at 02:15
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

Other. Tony Levin...

I wouldn't call Tony modern. He's been doing it since the 70's with Gabriel, Paul Simon and others. Great player, but not modern.

Not new perhaps but putting the Chapman Stick and his "normal" bass put's him at the head of this table...
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 08:43
Philippe Bussonnet from Magma around the turn of the century.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 08:45
My vote is for Jon Poole of Lifesigns.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 09:10
I like Hadrien Feraud:

but really I think my favourite is Michel Hatzigeorgiou of Aka Moon:

Skip to 3'15" if you want to miss some great music and just hear Michel do his thing.

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 21:10
I went with John Myung - Dream Theater because no matter how much people complain about dream theater I never hear a bad word said about the bass playing. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 21:19
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

I went with <span style=": rgb240, 241, 245;">John Myung - Dream Theater because no matter how much people complain about dream theater I never hear a bad word said about the bass playing. </span>

I think that may often be because he is often so low in the mix that people don't notice him enough to complain. ;) No, I think he's good, but his bass work doesn't always stand-out -- that can be a good thing.

I'd say Philippe Bussonnet.
Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progfan1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 06:42
Jonas Rheingold
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 07:22

Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

Other. Tony Levin...

I wouldn't call Tony modern. He's been doing it since the 70's with Gabriel, Paul Simon and others. Great player, but not modern.

Weird ... very weird!!!

I guess the STICK stuff doesn't count ... in fact, all Stick players are missing in this poll and a lot of the music they do is far more progressive than half of the folks listed, who are merely keeping time with a bass, and you know how much talent that takes! Not much!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 10:14
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

half of the folks listed, who are merely keeping time with a bass, and you know how much talent that takes! Not much!
I assume from this that you're an expert bass player then?

I really, really hope you are joking.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 10:27
^I can assume he hasn't heard most of the players listed. And even keeping time takes talent.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 12:43
Keeping time is one of the hardest things to master, it can take years for a young musician to be able to maintain a steady tempo with a drummer, and many more years to become a professional-level player.   And that goes for all instruments, not just bass.

I once started a thread about how the most important instrument in an ensemble is the bass.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 02:25
Nick Beggs can play the Stick and everything else besides.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 03:08

^I can assume he hasn't heard most of the players listed. And even keeping time takes talent.

Hi,

When you're wrong, you're wrong.

I have 11 of those in my collection and have heard 4 others ... that's 15 out of 21 listed ... a lot more than most of you folks that make comments without really thinking that a person may have ACTUALLY heard more music than the same "top" 5 bands!

The STICK, is probably the biggest expression for bass players now ... but you really have to know what your are doing ... and then some ... it's an instrument that requires a lot more than just .... what most of those folks listed here play! 

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Nick Beggs can play the Stick and everything else besides.

Hi,

Sadly ... he's not on the list! AND deserves to be ... unless the person who made the poll thinks that Nick is an old timer ... and I'm not sure that considering someone like Stanley Clarke is not "modern" ... is a real ______________ about a lot of music that was far more ahead of its time, than it has ever been considered ... gaddddsss, even Jaco belongs in another planet ... ohhh sorry ... he doesn't do metal and cheap music!

Wink

Edited by moshkito - March 28 2020 at 03:11
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 03:23
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Keeping time is one of the hardest things to master, it can take years for a young musician to be able to maintain a steady tempo with a drummer, and many more years to become a professional-level player.   And that goes for all instruments, not just bass.

I once started a thread about how the most important instrument in an ensemble is the bass.
Hi,

For rock music, maybe ... but then, "keeping time" is something that is only found in the hands of the conductor in classical music ... there is no "time" for a symphony, when it can change various times depending on the procession of themes and designs of the music ... and that would be something that a "modern" bass player would not even try, because it's like saying that all he/she can do is count to stay on "beat" ... and not all music is BEAT DRIVEN. 

Your assumption is that all bass players are beat driven ... and that's it in bass playing ... AND THAT IS NOT TRUE!

The only sad thing, is the lack of appreciation for other musics, and how different they can be, and how difficult they can also be ... that takes a lot more than just counting .... the real trick, and you see it in jazz all the time, is going everywhere, but having the TOUCH to be able to come back and join your mates for the rest of the piece ... but go ahead ... tell Miles about that ... you might find that he rarely lived by the "beat" or the "bass" or the "drums" ... he lived for what he saw and how he could express himself, and the folks around him were strong enough to stay with him ... my guess is that he might have given them a slight hint ... since it is likely that he would not know where he is going once he starts!

See the special "The Birth of Cool" ... it is way beyond music ... it's like watching Hiromi Uehara ... it's like she's not even here and even Anthony Jackson has a really hard time keeping up and does so beautifully ... but you would consider him just another jack ass bass player you have never heard ... if all you can do is keep "time", you will NEVER play with folks like her, or some of the best ... try Lenny White, when he can tell Chick, Stanley or Al or Jean-Luc are about to go stratospheric ... for your pleasure and mine!

Expand your bass jargon ... and stop reading "Bass Player" for all the second and third rate bass players they talk to you about!

Have a lesson .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJExqsrZzeA

Edited by moshkito - March 28 2020 at 11:25
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>