Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why can't I stand most modern prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 04:05
Really havenīt got interest to read all that has posted here, but I just want to ask "Why you should like modern prog?" There are made plenty of great albums in the golden period of prog, specially if you donīt want to listen just UK prog. Also there are lots of really great music made 1960-1979, if youīre openminded musiclistener.

I have found that most of after seventies prog is just boring, of course there are exceptions (for example Faust). Most of the music I love after seventies is not at least commonly perceived prog.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 08:33
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I have found that most of after seventies prog is just boring, of course there are exceptions (for example Faust). Most of the music I love after seventies is not at least commonly perceived prog.
Disagree with this. There is better quality and quantity of music today than the 70's through all genres of music. It is harder to find because it is not spoon fed to you. You need to search for it, but if you can't find anything you like of modern music, well, you're just being lazy.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 09:02
^I am not going to continue this at all. I have listened music over 40 years and still follow whatīs coming, I am not lazy. Itīs just the matter of tastes, I have nothing against if somebody is liking new music more than the old. There was a title "why I can`t I stand most modern prog", I just donīt see why anybody should automatically like modern prog, because you can find also great old music so much you canīt listen it all enough in your life. At least I canīt. I am happy with my thousands of 1950-2019 albums, hope youīre also with yours.

Edited by Mortte - January 01 2020 at 09:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 10:38
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Really havenīt got interest to read all that has posted here
Obviously not. You didn't even read the original post and what the member was asking. So you post your thoughts on the title of the thread only? Hmmmm. 

And by the way, I've been listening to music for 50 years, so I win.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 10:46
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I've been listening to music for 50 years, so I win.

It's not a competition, is it? I hope not, because I don't think the way I listen to music would win any competitions if it is.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - January 01 2020 at 10:46
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 11:22
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I've been listening to music for 50 years, so I win.

It's not a competition, is it? I hope not, because I don't think the way I listen to music would win any competitions if it is.

to quote Barbara Dennerlein: "music is not a competition, it is a communication"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Timeaisis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timeaisis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 13:01
I've gotten into some modern prog...but not a lot. Most of the ones I like have a similar sound to older prog.

I think for me it's the production of new prog. It sounds very manufactured and almost too perfect, if that makes any sense. I also think melodically, it has way too much going on. I prefer my prog with digestible bits of a song that when put together makes a musical journey. Go nuts sometimes, but not all the time. Today it seems like most prog just crams as much as they can into a 10 minute song, and lose me somewhere along the way.

Edited by Timeaisis - January 29 2020 at 13:02
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 13:53
There's some great modern prog out there.... some rather derivative, some straddling genre borders, but a lot giving a fresh take on the concept of prog. Can't remember a year like last year when I bought so much music on CD or download and I have to push myself to revisit the classic era when there is so much new stuff to appraise and listen to. Given the improved production values on most, you're missing out if you don't take the advice of Internet prog radio, PA or prog media and explore further, whilst also basking in the undoubted glories of the past.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
ProcolWho? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProcolWho? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 17:03
Just a random name.   The Watch, very good .
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2020 at 18:16
^The Watch are a decent band...but guess what?  They sound like old prog.....Genesis to be exact.

My point is that almost all the 'modern' prog bands I like sound like derivations of old classic prog bands....but then that's just me. There aren't any modern ones with truly different sounding approaches that I can get into...again that's just me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 01:19
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^The Watch are a decent band...but guess what?  They sound like old prog.....Genesis to be exact.

My point is that almost all the 'modern' prog bands I like sound like derivations of old classic prog bands....but then that's just me. There aren't any modern ones with truly different sounding approaches that I can get into...again that's just me.

No, you're spot on here, and that's my biggest gripe. Prog as a label is almost an illusion or red herring to begin with, but now you just have these modern bands copying that 70's sound and calling themselves "prog". There are so many layers of irrationality happening at once, lol. I have a big post coming in the "gripe" thread to make my case once and for all! Wink LOL Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 01:40
Going to see the watch doing Classic genesis covers in manchester. Seen them before, excellent stuff. If prog bands want to produce music thay sounds like 1973 prog, I personally love it! If you want a prog band to sound like a new romantic band from the eighties to do something different tben listen to new romantic cover bands....The more derivative, the better they are in my opinion...

Edited by M27Barney - February 24 2020 at 01:41
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 04:51
I think the music itself today is just as strong as in the 70's ... but it was new and fresh in the 70's so it made more of an emotional impact Tongue
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 05:05
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

I think the music itself today is just as strong as in the 70's ... but it was new and fresh in the 70's so it made more of an emotional impact Tongue
Yup, there's nothing like your first time! Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2020 at 09:40
The 70s bands caught lightning in a bottle.....the musicians were young, inspired, and represented some of the finest instrumentalists of the era. 

Who is the post-1970s Robert Fripp?  Steve Howe?  Rick Wakeman?   Steve Hackett? 

Many modern bands like Dream Theater have amazing chops, but they sound derivative to me....what have they innovated or invented? 

I enjoy how Fripp keeps re-inventing the King Crimson warhorse....three drummers onstage??  Brilliant!!  Using i-Pads with Mellotron software onstage?  Again, Brilliant!  

I'd love to see more women in prog, especially as vocalists.  Magenta, Glass Hammer and other acts show how powerful this can be.  

Edited by cstack3 - February 24 2020 at 09:40
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 00:22
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The 70s bands caught lightning in a bottle.....the musicians were young, inspired, and represented some of the finest instrumentalists of the era. 

Who is the post-1970s Robert Fripp?  Steve Howe?  Rick Wakeman?   Steve Hackett? 

Many modern bands like Dream Theater have amazing chops, but they sound derivative to me....what have they innovated or invented? 

I enjoy how Fripp keeps re-inventing the King Crimson warhorse....three drummers onstage??  Brilliant!!  Using i-Pads with Mellotron software onstage?  Again, Brilliant!  

I'd love to see more women in prog, especially as vocalists.  Magenta, Glass Hammer and other acts show how powerful this can be.  

Matt Bellamy and Steven Wilson are perhaps two I would put up there in that esteemed company. Muse are more of a heavy electro pop act nowadays but they make some interesting stuff although it's only the first 4 albums that have anything to do with prog admittedly. 

Anathema are a modern band that are very special to me and they utilise male and female vocals incredibly well. Magenta and Glass Hammer are both great bands never mind that they use female vocals, but I've recently discovered Thieves' Kitchen and the Far Meadow that utilise female vocals. I also love The Moulettes and Bent Knee but there are of course plenty of others. 

However back to your original point yes , very little that is released nowadays sounds particularly inspired and musicians back in the seventies were just better although I am very impressed with Elephant 9 who could be a true throwback to that era.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 01:41
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The 70s bands caught lightning in a bottle.

This.

Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

I also think how music is consumed now has a huge influence on perception! How often do we have to wait to go to the record store, get the physical product, get it home, turn it on, and enjoy?

Now you click a link and can hear an entire album before it's even out, and pre-judge it from your computer chair/on your way to work while you scroll through Spotify lol. HUGE impact IMHO!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 03:29
Hm, listening carefully to non prog music is like experimenting with wearing womens clothes...what if you enjoy it too much???
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 06:03
With all the great modern prog suggestions given to the OP, I would like to ask him/her if they have changed their opinion of modern prog. If so, which bands?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 06:11
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

No, you're spot on here, and that's my biggest gripe. Prog as a label is almost an illusion or red herring to begin with, but now you just have these modern bands copying that 70's sound and calling themselves "prog". There are so many layers of irrationality happening at once, lol. I have a big post coming in the "gripe" thread to make my case once and for all! Wink LOL Cool
I'll alert Toby Driver.

Edited by SteveG - February 25 2020 at 06:27
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>