Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Symphonic Metal Heaven

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2022 at 09:19
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ Combining Progressive Metal & Symphonic Metal together here is a good way for me to discover new music, is it not, just as I "discovered" Dimmu Borgir this morning, although I rather wish I hadn't. Tongue

but you don't know the difference between them, so how's it gonna work for you? 
In theory, combining the two similar Metal genres together means I get to discover twice as much music. I've only listened to Dimmu Borgir's first album so far, so maybe I was too quick to judge them, based on what Archisorcerus and Logan have since told me, where they become more symphonic as you delve further into their discography. Dimmu Borgir's later albums are almost bound to be an improvement on their dismal first album. Smile

Again, you either are trolling or not paying attention. 
Progressive metal and symphonic metal are not similar genres. 

Logan and Ozgur listen to a bit of metal, you, not so much.
Dimmu Borgir are symphonic black metal, I very much doubt you're gonna enjoy any of their works. The black metal part of it is always there. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2022 at 09:30
Here's a  quick preview of who's coming up tomorrow:-

The Dark Element
Dark Moor
Dark Sarah
Death
Delain
Devin Townsend
Devin Townsend Band
Devin Townsend Project
Diabulus in Musica
Dimmu Borgir
Dol Ammad
Dragonland
Dragony
Dream Theater
Dreamtale

I have a bad feeling I'm not gong to like the sound of Death at all, bearing in mind their first album is titled "Scream Bloody Gore" Dead
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2022 at 09:35

The Dark Element
Dark Moor
Dark Sarah
Death
Delain
Devin Townsend
Devin Townsend Band
Devin Townsend Project
Diabulus in Musica
Dimmu Borgir
Dol Ammad
Dragonland
Dragony
Dream Theater
Dreamtale

I have a bad feeling I'm not gong to like the sound of Death at all, bearing in mind their first album is titled "Scream Bloody Gore" Dead

take out Death, Dream Theater and Devin Townsend. 
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2022 at 09:39
You two seem to be busy with each other as always... LOL But, I hope Paul saw the videos I linked at the bottom of the previous page. Smile

Edited by Archisorcerus - February 26 2022 at 09:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2022 at 10:47

The Dark Element
Dark Moor
Dark Sarah
Death
Delain
Devin Townsend
Devin Townsend Band
Devin Townsend Project
Diabulus in Musica
Dimmu Borgir
Dol Ammad
Dragonland
Dragony
Dream Theater
Dreamtale

I've never been keen on Death, so I'd be happy to remove it from my listings, but are you seriously suggesting I drop Dream Theater too!?? Wacko That's Astonishing! I'll Fall into Infinity before I do that. Removing Dream Theater from my listings would be A Dramatic Turn of Events and would most likely result in Systematic Chaos in the PA forums. Tongue 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 26 2022 at 10:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2022 at 13:29

I'll happily drop Devin Townsend from my listings too, having just listened to one of their godawful albums for the first time. Thumbs Down Thumbs Down Thumbs Down

There's absolutely NO WAY I'm dropping Dream Theater though. Big smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2022 at 14:26

I'll happily drop Devin Townsend from my listings too, having just listened to one of their godawful albums for the first time. Thumbs Down Thumbs Down Thumbs Down

There's absolutely NO WAY I'm dropping Dream Theater though. Big smile

just because you don't like it, it does not mean it's godawful. That's disrespectful on so many levels. 

Dream Theater being talked on a symphonic metal thread is just wrong, that's why they don't belong in this thread. 

You stubbornly don't listen to anyone. I gave you examples of reliable sites that explain what symphonic metal is, I posted a link for you of list of symphonic metal bands. You chose to ignore it all. 

Once you understand the difference between these metal subgenres, you can start making lists, otherwise, you're doing it all wrong. 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2022 at 14:34
Paul, these are MS's top 100 Symph Metal albums... you won't find any DT on there:

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2022 at 14:37
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Paul, these are MS's top 100 Symph Metal albums... you won't find any DT on there:

nice, thank you!
Maybe he'll learn something now. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2022 at 15:39

I never claimed Dream Theater are a Symphonic Metal band, so I wouldn't expect to find them on a Symphonic Metal list.  Dream Theater are a Progressive Metal band, as everyone here agrees, and I'll be adding them to my Progressive & Symphonic Metal list tomorrow. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 26 2022 at 16:09
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2022 at 15:46

I never claimed Dream Theater are a Symphonic Metal band. They're a Progressive Metal band, as everyone here agrees, and I'll be adding them to my Progressive & Symphonic Metal list tomorrow. Wink

I do not know right now if you are trolling or stubbornly ignorant. It is clear you are ignoring everyone's opinions, you are right and everyone else is wrong. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2022 at 15:55
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

You two seem to be busy with each other as always... LOL But, I hope Paul saw the videos I linked at the bottom of the previous page. Smile

Thanks for posting the two Dimmu Borgir videos, even though they're not my cup of tea. I'll add Dimmu Borgir to my list tomorrow, along with the PROGRESSIVE METAL band, Dream Theater. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 26 2022 at 15:56
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2022 at 15:58

Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

Thanks for posting the two Dimmu Borgir videos, even though they're not my cup of tea. I'll add Dimmu Borgir to my list tomorrow, along with the PROGRESSIVE METAL band, Dream Theater. Wink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 02:30
A-Z of Symphonic Metal (fully updated with 100+ artists & 500+ albums)

2017: The Dark Element - The Dark Element 
                 2019: The Dark Element - Songs the Night Sings

1999: Dark Moor - Shadowland
                 2000: Dark Moor - The Hall of the Olden Dreams
                 2002: Dark Moor - The Gates of Oblivion
                 2003: Dark Moor - Dark Moor
                 2005: Dark Moor - Beyond the Sea
                 2007: Dark Moor - Tarot
                 2009: Dark Moor - Autumnal
                 2010: Dark Moor - Ancestral Romance
                 2013: Dark Moor - Ars Musica
                 2015: Dark Moor - Project X
                 2018: Dark Moor - Origins

2015: Dark Sarah - Behind the Black Veil
                 2016: Dark Sarah - The Puzzle 
                 2018: Dark Sarah - The Golden Moth
                 2020: Dark Sarah - Grim
                 2022: Dark Sarah - Attack of Orym

2006: Delain - Lucidity
                 2009: Delain - April Rain
                 2012: Delain - We Are the Others
                 2014: Delain - The Human Contradiction
                 2016: Delain - Moonbathers
                 2020: Delain - Apocalypse & Chill

2010: Diabulus in Musica - Secrets
                 2012: Diabulus in Musica - The Wanderer
                 2014: Diabulus in Musica - Argia 
                 2016: Diabulus in Musica - Dirge for the Archons
                 2020: Diabulus in Musica  - Euphonic Entropy

2004: Dol Ammad - Star Tales
                 2006: Dol Ammad - Ocean Dynamics
                 2010: Dol Ammad - Winds of the Sun
                 2012: Dol Ammad - Cosmic Gods, Episode 1: Hyperspeed
                 2018: Dol Ammad - Cosmic Gods, Episode 2: Astroatlas

2001: Dragonland - The Battle of the Ivory Plains
                 2002: Dragonland - Holy War
                 2004: Dragonland - Starfall
                 2006: Dragonland - Astronomy
                 2011: Dragonland - Under the Grey Banner

2012: Dragony - Legends
                 2015: Dragony - Shadowplay
                 2017: Dragony - Lords of the Hunt
                 2018: Dragony - Masters of the Multiverse
                 2021: Dragony - Viribus Unitis

5 stars 1999: Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mY0UJ7SdDG7n4DgXGJ_h-vG0QH9LpayaA
4 stars 2002: Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nTL1U2POUqlwoey4_5PuJU6raBZOMZmTE
4 stars 2009: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mITLc-8859pN5FyuxZRjILfBdWgnRDJL0
4 stars 2011: Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaO5evNthlMg_FDhpXDbtsuKtydKx6aGD
4 stars 2021: Dream Theater - The View from the Top of the World - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ksmWOXgYlkDzEJpHnBPdLWX47z2VysqSY

2002: Dreamtale - Beyond Reality
                 2003: Dreamtale - Ocean's Heart
                 2005: Dreamtale - Difference
                 2008: Dreamtale - Phoenix
                 2011: Dreamtale - Epsilon
                 2013: Dreamtale - World Changed Forever
                 2016: Dreamtale - Seventhian: Memories of Time

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 01 2022 at 02:41
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 02:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 08:16
^ It'd be nice to have a proper conversation with you, Cristi,  instead of you re-posting nonsensical stickmen. Wink

What on earth is it supposed to represent anyway? Wacko

By the way, I just realised I forgot to include Symphonic Metal legend Christopher Lee in my listings. Embarrassed

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 27 2022 at 15:57
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 08:45
Here, Paul: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/trollface

I got to know a bit about meme culture due to my eldest child. I think I may be too old-fashioned to get the appeal of gifs, emojis, memes and the like. Humph, kids and their lol cats and stuff. I said that that to my eldest (18) and was told off for that being such an old one, people into that are like old like millennials.

So it's from 2007. I used to use an image blocker to block that kind of stuff when it was more popular back in the earlier 2000s. So much of it I find annoying, and sometimes it's meant to annoy, but to each his or her own.

Edited by Logan - February 27 2022 at 08:49
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 08:53

^ It'd be nice to have a proper conversation with you, Cristi,  instead of you re-posting nonsensical stickmen. Wink

What on earth is it supposed to represent anyway? Wacko

By the way, I just realised I forgot to include Progressive Metal legend Christopher Lee in my listings. Embarrassed

Nice to have a proper conversation you say? but you ignore me completely, so your sentence here is disingenuous. 

And here is another proof of you trolling - you have been told REPEATEDLY that Christopher Lee did not play progressive metal, not just by me, but by several people. What Christopher Lee played with metal artists  can be called European power metal or epic heavy metal. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 08:55
^ Thanks for explaining the meaning behind Cristi's bizarre gifs. I feel the same way as you do, in that I prefer old-fashioned conversations to new-fangled gifs, emojis & memes, many of which are a mystery to me. Confused
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 08:57

^ Thanks for explaining the meaning behind Cristi's bizarre gifs. I feel the same way as you do, in that I prefer old-fashioned conversations to new-fangled gifs, emojis & memes, many of which are a mystery to me. Confused

sometimes images speak louder than words, unless you obviously play the fool and pretend not to understand. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>