Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Disappointed, but Perhaps Expectations Were High
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disappointed, but Perhaps Expectations Were High

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disappointed, but Perhaps Expectations Were High
    Posted: December 18 2019 at 20:25
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Man, being deaf would sure be a hard thing to deal with, I admire your story!
          What I have is permanent tinnitus (ringing in the ears) in both ears (kind of sounds like a conch shell) but somehow I have got used to it. I can't  go to loud concerts anymore, but still love to listen to music in my home.

I retired from festivals because of my tinnitis(the correct pronunciation is "tin it is" for those wondering). I plan on getting musicians earplugs at some point(when I can afford it). 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 20:15
Very inspiring story. Who knows. Maybe one day they will get back to you. I once sent a message to Rick Wakeman(who I heard gets back to his fans)but never got a response. I also was set to do an online interview with a very well known modern US prog band(who shall remain nameless of course) but they never got back to me. I never bought any music by them again. All that success must have gone to their heads. Oh well. I think some musicians need to remind themselves that they put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else.

Regarding your story though I've never heard of anyone losing their hearing for no reason. I have tinnitis in my left ear but apparently no hearing loss(knock on wood). I only really notice it when it's really quiet which typically is only right before I go to bed which is slightly annoying at times. There's no known cure for it though and I think there's even a youtube video where Mike Portnoy who has it talks about it. That would really suck to have no hearing though. Glad you were able to get it back. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 18 2019 at 20:19
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 18:45
You never know, it will be worth going anyway and seeing how things pan out, sometimes in-person circumstances change.

Persistence can be a painful but rewarding virtue.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Ridgeback View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ridgeback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2019 at 18:04
Latest update and probably final note to this saga. Well, Bjorn Riis did respond. Thanking me for sending the email and he was thrilled to be part of it. Fairly short and sweet. So I wrote back and said my wife and I will fly out to Oslo (from Boston) to see one of your concerts (if you will be having one) and would you like to meet for beer/coffee and like to hear the whole story. I received back an email stating “We’re busy preparing our new album and our Facebook page lists our upcoming gigs”. Uh thanks? So I wrote back and said I think you misunderstood. My wife and I will spend thousands of dollars to fly to Oslo and see you in concert. Can we grab a beer afterwards?   No response. Shrug. Clearly perspectives differ. Perhaps he’s inundated by fan emails. Idk. Frankly I wished I never bothered. Seems to be a bit of an empty run up a long hill. I am a pretty private guy and I kind of threw this to him and expected too much.
Alex_C View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex_C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 17:49
Inspirational story! 
Ridgeback View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ridgeback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2019 at 06:06
I have an update of sorts. Following the advice of my compadres here, I decided to try emailing again. This time I emailed the recording company for Bjorn Riis, Karisma Records. I reached a cool dude named Martin that responded back to me immediately, thought the story was amazing and said he’d forward it to Bjorn. This was a few days ago. Nothing yet. We’ll see if it pans out. There are some interesting prog bands at Karisma it seems. Martin had some good recommendations for me as well. They are worth a check out. Anyway If anyone here knows any members of Airbag let me know and I’ll forward the email over.

Relative to people mentioning they have tinnitus, I did come across a long article and treatment for tinnitus and hearing loss with some studies to support it. It’s compound aldosterone, the hormone that regulates our electrolytes balance (and more). I know people that have had tinnitus for years and compound aldosterone has resolved the issue. Google compound aldosterone for tinnitus and hearing loss by Dr Jonathan Wright.

Anyways the fat lady hasn’t sung yet but she might be warming up.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 05:13
I wouldn't rather die than lose my sense of hearing. I guess smell would be the first one I would sacrifice.  But even if I were to lose hearing or to have it severely impaired at least I would still have the music in my head.  If you wanted to make me wish to be dead you'd have to take that away from me.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 14:43
Welcome to PA, Ridgeback!  This is quite a collection of personalities and minds, you fit in nicely!  

Cheers, Charles.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 14:19
Nice story. Would have been nicer with a response.

I like artists who respond to their fans.

On the internet.

It's a thing.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 09:12
Incredibly touching story! And yes, along with a happy thing, there's always a sad thing. But I guess in your story the happiness of being able to hear again (and hear better) outweighs the bands' lack of response, because you don't really owe it to them... They were channels toward your recovery, but it could've been any other bands. 

I am happy for you and I admire your patience and perseverance. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 07:00
I neglected to mention that active touring artists are quite busy and may not have the time to respond, at least not right at that moment.

Edited by SteveG - November 30 2019 at 07:03
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 04:58
Don't despair. Correspondences usually go through artist's websites that are handled by their agents/management people. I emailed Renaissance and Yardbirds founder Jim McCarty and he replied personally the next day. I recently emailed former Midnight Oil front man Peter Garrett and his management company responded for him about two weeks later, so it might take awhile to get a response. There may also be delays due to language problems. So, we can't tar everyone with the same brush.

Be happy with your good fortune and enjoy their music. I'm sure that's what they really want you to do.

Edited by SteveG - November 30 2019 at 07:06
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 03:25
Great story!

Would give the advice to take in consideration that some emails get filtered and end up in the spam folder. Perhaps some of the medical terms used in your story are on the 'filter' list.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2019 at 19:20
Man, being deaf would sure be a hard thing to deal with, I admire your story!
          What I have is permanent tinnitus (ringing in the ears) in both ears (kind of sounds like a conch shell) but somehow I have got used to it. I can't  go to loud concerts anymore, but still love to listen to music in my home.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2019 at 19:08
yeah..  take our responses in context.. as I'm sure you do. Perhaps it got lost in the mail otherwise ...f**k that band..  you have a helluva to be thankful for and really is quite the story. With a happy ending which doesn't happen more often than it does unfortunately Beer I'd lose a limb.. several.. hell up to 4 (as long as kept the 5th) before I'd live (happily at least) without losing one's hearing.

Edited by micky - November 28 2019 at 19:09
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Ridgeback View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ridgeback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2019 at 19:02
Thanks Guys. It was a strange experience to say the least. Especially on the night I lost it. The day the world was supposed to end according to the Mayan calendar. In a previous life I must have been pretty mean to them! But I learnt to lip read really well in a very short period of time. You learn to be hyper alert. You learn to adapt. I hate have a device with a wire out of my head, but honestly, it’s a nothing compared to so many other issues that happen to people.

Once I learned to hear music properly again, well honestly you never take it for granted. Now I appreciate all music even elevator music. Now for the first time I HEAR music. I listen. There is no background music anymore. It’s hard to explain. It really does take on a new meeting. The truth is without going deaf, I would not be able to appreciate music as I do now.

Yeah, I emailed both Airbag booking, Bjorn booking, and Bjørn directly. I’m mystified myself. But perhaps they think it’s bullsh*t (if they ever read the emails). I didn’t ask for anything at all, I just wanted them to know the story and realize how powerfully therapeutic their music is. Totally disappointing but that’s my perception. They perhaps have a different viewpoint. Shrug.

Gotta laugh though... it took going deaf to appreciate prog :-)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2019 at 18:55
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

man that is quite the story..  I could do without a lot.. but going deaf... I'd likely eat a bullet. Between music and Raff's voice.. along with other sounds .. like the wind through the trees.. the sound of wind chimes.  I'd find it hard to enjoy life without hearing..

Yeah... I fall in love with a woman's voice first, not with her look or even... "inner values"...

amen brother..  it wasn't the smoking hot red dress she wore when we first met.. much less her considerable inner beauty

it was her voice

classic Raff there with an assist by me.. in my Mr. Raff guise... lurking in the background...I provided the beer and smokes and think I did get a word in edgewise..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2019 at 18:51
^ obtw Steve.. you are my new hero.  Gobble gobble LOLBeer
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2019 at 18:43
Man, I can’t understand how a band wouldn’t reply to a story like that. You sure it went through the right channels? Might have gotten lost in the cracks. Maybe try again, I’m sure they’d be really interested in your story. I mean, unless they’re dicks, but I have no reason to suppose that.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2019 at 16:48
Anyway, you didn't get an answer but you still have your great story and achievement! Which is far more important.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>