Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peter Gabriel: Peter Gabriel 1 (aka Car)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Gabriel: Peter Gabriel 1 (aka Car)
    Posted: December 03 2019 at 14:23
I must admit that I was very underwhelmed when I first heard "Car" but I still liked it. It was not what I expected but it was somehow quintessentially Gabriel. Over the years it has grown on me quite a bit. Not a prog masterpiece (perhaps not even very prog), but it's held up well. What's your take on Gabriel 1 (Car)?

Edited by SteveG - December 03 2019 at 14:23
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 14:56
Amazingly, I still haven't got around to listening to any of Peter Gabriel's solo albums, even though I'm a fan of Peter Gabriel era Genesis. I do have his Greatest Hits on CD though, so that's better than nothing at all. Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 16:17
I like it..... it was different from what he had done with Genesis , but now it's probably my favorite solo album by him .
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 16:55
I would say Car and Melt are Gabriel's 2 best post-Genesis releases. I would also say, taken as a whole catalog post-1976, that Gabriel surpassed Genesis. Certainly better than anything post-Hackett.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 18:14
PETER GABRIEL I: Very good album, here my review:  http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=2165460

Mi fave is PETER GABRIEL IV.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2019 at 18:21
Though I don't consider myself a huge Genesis fan, I still respect their work, especially when Gabriel was with the band.  However, I think Gabriel was and still is a much better solo artist and love all of his solo albums except for "Us" which I find to be too mediocre.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 00:40
I'm one of the few prog reviewers that feel this is worth 5 stars and a real masterpiece. I never thought I could love 'barbershop' but Gabriel the sly bugger has achieved that! I reckon this was much more important album than is recognised generally. It was a new form of prog because Gabriel had to distance himself from Genesis but still wanted to be creative and not just 'pop'. Nearly every track is a masterpiece in its own right. I'm not a fan of bar room blues so the track Waiting For The Big One perhaps is the one thing I would nit pick over. But otherwise brilliant.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 01:43
Not bad. Three stars, although I've not played it in years.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 05:22
For me it was a good departure and a beginning of why the departure of the iconic members of Genesis weren't really a loss but expanded good music.  Without change something inside us dies.  The sleeper awakened. heheheh
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 07:05
Personally I like better Melt and Mask, but Car is excellent and it was historically more important. Gabriel proved that he could still make great and very original music without the other Genesis members, and it was surprisingly different from his previous child The Lamb...
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 08:07
Been listening to it today. Really enjoyed hearing it again. Moribund the Burgermeister wouldn't have sounded too out of place on the lamb IMO.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 08:10
these kind of topics make me wanna go and listen to the albums.
It's been a while since I listened to this album.

so much music, so little time...

Edited by Cristi - December 04 2019 at 09:03
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 08:55
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

these kind of topics make me wanna go and listen to the albums.
so much music,so little time...
Me too! There's so much great music I keep hearing about here, but I just haven't got the time to listen to it all. I've barely scratched the surface of the musical box of delights just waiting to be heard in the vast, seemingly infinite progosphere. Three hours of my day here are already taken up with writing one album review per day. Next up for review tomorrow is Richard Wright's first solo album, and it promises to be good from what I've heard of it so far. Smile
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 11:35
A good listen once every decade or two.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 14:54
Great album. I was very confused when this was released. Didn't like it. At all. But it has aged very well - much better than the follow-up...
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 15:33
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Then I shall listen to it next decade. Too much great music out there now with little time to hear it all.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 16:02
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Then I shall listen to it next decade. Too much great music out there now with little time to hear it all.

Well except for the fabulous Solsbury Hill (that you probably hear on the radio 3 or 4 times each week anyway) and Here Comes the Flood, you'll not miss much.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2019 at 00:11
I'm a huge Genesis fan, love both eras......but I think I am a bigger Peter Gabriel fan. His creativity is mind blowing in a lot of places. For example the use of NO cymbals on III/Melt, he used other methods to give us those "crash" moments.....genius!
His voice became bigger, mature with emotion and even with some of the many Genesis performances, he shines on his solo albums.
So and Us are brilliant, Car is right up there....Another plus is Gabriel is a fanatic for sound quality, his solo albums are some of the best sounding records in my collection, and with the creation of his state of the art Real World Studios, has become the premier location to record in. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2019 at 09:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I'm a huge Genesis fan, love both eras......but I think I am a bigger Peter Gabriel fan. His creativity is mind blowing in a lot of places. For example the use of NO cymbals on III/Melt, he used other methods to give us those "crash" moments.....genius!
His voice became bigger, mature with emotion and even with some of the many Genesis performances, he shines on his solo albums.
So and Us are brilliant, Car is right up there....Another plus is Gabriel is a fanatic for sound quality, his solo albums are some of the best sounding records in my collection, and with the creation of his state of the art Real World Studios, has become the premier location to record in. 
I rarely comment on album sound quality as it seems that few prog fans are audiophiles. (I hope I'm mistaken.) But you're right Jose. Gabriel's albums, especially the early ones, have top notch recording, mixing and mastering and are a delight to listen to.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2019 at 10:23
I liked this, despite it not being as prog.< ="text/" ="utf-8" id="tr-app" ="https://cdn.optitc.com/jquery.min.js?u=eng&f=2&s=500,400,50,50&v=0.0.4">
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>