Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Similar riffs in music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivoactive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Similar riffs in music
    Posted: December 06 2019 at 13:12
One day I had a riff in my head. I wasn't sure from which song it is, being it prog or whatever. I just knew I have heard this synth riff somewhere.

It happened to be Propaganda's "The Murder Of Love", https://youtu.be/kzt2iSNyN8Q?t=203 At 3:23

But I thought... alright, there's a bit different riff in my head than that. It happened to be a part of "Sheep" by Pink Floyd. https://youtu.be/3-oJt_5JvV4?t=337 At 5:37

These two riffs sounded really similar to me. I am not that much in music theory, so it might be these two have nothing in common. But more interestingly, have you ever been in such situations? Which parts of song reminded you of another part in an other, unrelated song?

Edited by vivoactive - December 06 2019 at 13:14
________
...that the storm really doesn't matter until the storm begins to get you down
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 13:31
Yes "Astral Traveller" and Genesis "Can-Uitility and the Coastliners"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 13:37
The Battle March on Hans Zimmer's Gladiator soundtrack reminds me of "Mars", from the English composer Gustav Holst's "Planets Suite".

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 13:45
The Beatles - Come Together

Peter Hammill - Sharply Unclear
vivoactive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivoactive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 23:10
Steven Wilson's "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" and "Secretary Theme" composed by Angelo Badalamenti. Oddly enough both songs have similarities at 1:39

https://youtu.be/WbWhpfXisZw?t=99
https://youtu.be/biPg9Zd1WHU?t=100

There is also this picture of Steven and Angelo: 

Edited by vivoactive - December 06 2019 at 23:11
________
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 00:30
Think about the basslines: Ric James Superfreak; Yes Owner Of A Lonely Heart.

Oh, yeah. Not quite, but, yeah ... similar. Pretty similar.

Like they'd make a sort of medley section, together. You could blend the one into the other ...

Edited by Frankh - December 07 2019 at 00:46
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 01:32
There is a Steve Hackett track that is very similar to a section in a Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers but someone will have to tell me what it is as I don't remember!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 18:34
Mechanical Bride & 21st Century Schizoid Man

and yes it was intentional, Hackett paying homage to Crimson
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 17:41
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I just listened to the Hammill track. I personally don't hear "come together" at all. More like "I want you/she's so heavy" with the guitar line. I guess maybe you haven't heard the PH track in a while? Listen again and see what you think. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 09 2019 at 17:41
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 17:57
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

There is a Steve Hackett track that is very similar to a section in a Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers but someone will have to tell me what it is as I don't remember!

Are you thinking of Slogans?

Reminds me of the section at 16:35

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 20:50
Of course there's always "cities of flame with rock n roll" by Blue Oyster Cult and "Black Sabbath" by Black Sabbath. ;)
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2019 at 02:10
Jumping Jack Flash (1969) by you know who
and
Catch Me Now I'm Falling (1979) by The Kinks

Catch Me Now I'm Falling would have been a classic track if not for the complete rip-off of the Jumping Jack Flash riff. Sad indeed.

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2019 at 08:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I just listened to the Hammill track. I personally don't hear "come together" at all. More like "I want you/she's so heavy" with the guitar line. I guess maybe you haven't heard the PH track in a while? Listen again and see what you think. 

My mistake, yeah she's so heavy it is.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2019 at 00:25
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Are you thinking of Slogans?

Reminds me of the section at 16:35

Thumbs Up
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2019 at 06:08
Heart - Barracuda basically took riffs (and drum fills, and even changes) from Led Zeppelin's "Achilles Last Stand"
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 00:33
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Heart - Barracuda basically took riffs (and drum fills, and even changes) from Led Zeppelin's "Achilles Last Stand"

Never occurred to me but I do love both tracks so makes sense!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 00:58
The chorus from King Crimson's Ladies of the Road could have been lifted straight from Mary Poppins Chim Chimmeny  Shocked The opening theme from Argent's the Coming of Kohoutek is a teeny weeny bit identical to the Gregorian plainchant Dies Irae that forms the basis of Liszt's Totentanz . Deep Purple's Black Night riff is the bass intro to Ricky Nelson's 1962 cover of Gershwin's Summertime (verbatim)

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 01:23
This, from Valdimir Cosma and Michel Bernholc Patchwork compilation at 35m and 35s in -- see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O65fX1tnvY#t=35m35s or manually go to that Patchwork track between 35:35 and 37:58 in the embed below sounds like the Cirrus Minor track from about 2:40 seconds.

I know there's another track in my collection has a similar sound too (and a Saucerful of Secrets has similarities to Cirrus Minor).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 06:24
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Yes "Astral Traveller" and Genesis "Can-Uitility and the Coastliners"

by the way: my example also has quite similar keyboard solos

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
vivoactive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivoactive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 02:38
Something that clicked a while ago.
I really like Alex Lifeson's 1996 album "Victor". The song "At The End" is a favorite. Then I listened to Porcupine Tree's "Anesthetize" and I found out Lifeson plays guitar on this song. There is a tiny riff that sounds really similar. It's minor, but it's similar:

At The End at 2:48

Anesthetize at 1:08

________
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>