Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Piano Concerto(s) by Emerson or ELP?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Piano Concerto(s) by Emerson or ELP?
    Posted: December 06 2019 at 16:45
I discovered the Piano Concerto No. 1 by ELP and I have to admit that I'm totally fond of. But in fact I don't know a lot of "songs" that look like it. Could you advise me a few, even by classical composers? I thought about the Emerson's solo carrier but didn't find nothing convincing.
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 17:15
It's never so clear how close something has to be in order to be similar enough. Here's another "classical" piece by a rock musician that I like. It's not a piano concert and doesn't have Emerson's virtuosity but resonates with me on a more emotional level.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 18:18
^Good one from Joe Jackson.

As far as classical, I find that Emerson's Piano Concerto seems to reflect some of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concertos.  Try his Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor.  The song "All By Myself" (the original Eric Carmen version with the long piano solo) is based on parts of that concerto.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEGOihjqO9w

Also, there is a rocked out/orchestral work by the Italian band "I New Trolls" called "Concerto Grosso No.2" which is kind of fun.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELMGSx44OiY

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 19:01
Jon Lord, keyboardist with Deep Purple, wrote this Gemini Suite. The second movement, for piano, was written for Keith Emerson to perform, but for the recording Lord played the part himself. the music is a mix of classical, jazz and rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHC6zd5dA7M&list=PL8a8cutYP7fqM8K_JZLDl1g33YQwugllv

Edited by Easy Money - December 06 2019 at 19:14
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 19:09
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

I discovered the Piano Concerto No. 1 by ELP and I have to admit that I'm totally fond of. But in fact I don't know a lot of "songs" that look like it. Could you advise me a few, even by classical composers? I thought about the Emerson's solo carrier but didn't find nothing convincing.

Keith's Concerto is for me, the most substantial orchestral composition by a Rock musician to date. I think the rather muted response it received from ELP's fan-base was born out of its conservative nature i.e. there are no electronic spanners in the works and no blues or rock licks to be found throughout. Interviews around this time would indicate he wanted to write music that didn't depend on him as the performer, to be judged on its own merit as 'just the notes'. The 1st movement is based on a 12 note tone row (although he discards the rigid rule set obeyed by the 2nd Viennese school serialists) The short 2nd movement is redolent of Baroque played by Gershwin and the ferocious and percussive 3rd movement carries echoes of Bartok, Respighi, Ginastera and (early astringent) Copland.

I can hear hints of Shostakovich's chamber music (which was under less scrutiny than his orchestral pieces by the Soviet censor) and also Malcolm Arnold's 7th Symphony (which uses 'ciphers' - a device where the notes spell out words - in this case the names of his three children) Jon Lord also followed his classical muse throughout a career that gave us the rather uneven and mixed results of the Gemini Suite, Concerto for Group & Orchestra and Sarabande etc.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 00:56
I was only aware of the Copeland link. Emerson even called one of his sons after the composer he had so much respect for him!
The concerto was mostly written on a long boring train journey apparently. Despite all the influences that went into it (thanks for the great analysis by ExittheLemming) I get something very 'English' about when I listen to it. I like to see it as a patriotic piece although I suspect that was not Emerson's idea. I like to believe it is really good although my knowledge of classical music is zippo.

BTW it's a great shame that few have checked out his Three Fates Project album. There is a version of The Endless Engima which I love especially. It's quite moving to me.

Edited by richardh - December 07 2019 at 00:57
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 05:02
I do have his Three Fates Project album. The Endless Enigma is the best of the orchestral adaptations but I still prefer the original, with rock instrumentation and the great Fugue.
On a classical contemporary style (completely different from Piano Concerto) I love Toccata.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 07:36

Could you advise me a few, even by classical composers? I thought about the Emerson's solo carrier but didn't find nothing convincing.
Thought about but didn't listen to? I'd recommend his Inferno soundtrack be given a chance as well as Best Revenge. As for classical composers, look to Emo's influences :

Copeland
Ginastera
Bartok
Bach
Mussorsky
Mussorgsky

To name a few.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 09:48
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Jon Lord, keyboardist with Deep Purple, wrote this Gemini Suite. The second movement, for piano, was written for Keith Emerson to perform, but for the recording Lord played the part himself. the music is a mix of classical, jazz and rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHC6zd5dA7M&list=PL8a8cutYP7fqM8K_JZLDl1g33YQwugllv
Yes, this is a great option, and also a fantastic musical journey.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 01:51
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Could you advise me a few, even by classical composers? I thought about the Emerson's solo carrier but didn't find nothing convincing.
Thought about but didn't listen to? I'd recommend his Inferno soundtrack be given a chance as well as Best Revenge. As for classical composers, look to Emo's influences :

Copeland
Ginastera
Bartok
Bach
Mussorsky
Mussorgsky

To name a few.

I didn't realise there were 2 of them

Yep the Best Revenge Suite is excellent and absolutely agree on Inferno. Godfrey Salmon also had some involvement on that and he was also the conductor for the ELP orchestral shows in 1977.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 07:05
His lesser known second cousin. Boastful Mussorgsky. LOL
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 11:27
Give a listen to the cover by Rachel Flowers.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply