Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd Solo Artists Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which Pink Floyd solo artist do you like best of all?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [13.64%]
18 [40.91%]
1 [2.27%]
12 [27.27%]
7 [15.91%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd Solo Artists Poll
    Posted: December 09 2019 at 09:11
My vote goes to David Gilmour, who I suspect will win the poll by a large majority. I'd be surprised if Nick Mason or Syd Barrett receives any votes, but I've been wrong before. Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 10:04
Gil-mo.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 10:43
Very hard. All of them have produced something strong, none of them was consistently strong. Gilmour and Waters probably produced the largest quantity of good stuff and also the largest quantity of forgettable stuff by even larger distance. I don't expect many votes for Nick so I'll give him one based on the big joy I get from his recent live work as well as the Fictitious Sports album, even though that's actually a Carla Bley album. Whatever. 
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 13:44
I'd have to go with Mr. Gilmour for this one.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 13:50
This is a hard one for me. If I include live albums, then it goes for Gilmour, easily. But only studio ones, it might have to be Waters... mostly because of Amused to Death.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 13:58
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

My vote goes to David Gilmour, who I suspect will win the poll by a large majority. I'd be surprised if Nick Mason or Syd Barrett receives any votes, but I've been wrong before. Smile

Syd Barrett have published two wonderful albums.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 14:00
Surely Roger Waters who have publishe some beautiful albums, expecially Amused to Death.

But as I can see, here in this poll, Waters get few votes, I guess because his production is not so progressive in fact his albums are similar to singer-songriters albums.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 14:16
Wow! Richard Wright is currently leading the poll, against expectations, but having reviewed his marvellous "Wet Dream" album recently, he fully deserves to be in first place.
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 14:41
Waters for me. I love Pros and Cons, Amused to Death and Is This The Life.....

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 19:15
I have to go with Richard Wright because, even though I revere Gilmour, his solo albums are kind of hit or miss where Wright has been more consistent.  They all have some good things out there though, even Nick Mason.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 19:24
Went with Gilmour. I still say this is the single best post-Wall song any Floyd band member released....

I was unaware until recently that the song is about John Lennon's assassination. Makes it that much more powerful.

Edited by The Dark Elf - December 09 2019 at 19:25
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 20:00
Voted for Syd on the basis that he's done 2 good albums, Gilmour also has 2 but doesn't need the vote and I hate 2 of his solo albums, Wright and Mason both have one good album and Waters has none. IMHO.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 22:03
waters 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2019 at 00:19
The last Waters album was a massive return to form. He also does Floyd better than anyone else. Gilmour is a bit of a yawn to me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2019 at 00:43
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Went with Gilmour. I still say this is the single best post-Wall song any Floyd band member released....

I was unaware until recently that the song is about John Lennon's assassination. Makes it that much more powerful.

I never knew that either, even though I have the album.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2019 at 01:01
waters for my vote. 
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2019 at 05:48
When I first got into the band I was a massive Barrett fan. But over the time, I became less accusatory towards leaving Opel off The Madcap Laughs instead of that "waaeeeeeaaaaeeAAAAAAAEEEEEEE" bs.
But I've since got over that and now get most enjoyment from Roger Waters.
I know! If you told me this etc
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2019 at 06:45
Roger Waters.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2019 at 06:55
Syd's is the worst. I voted for Roger, although I like listening to David and Rick's - whose first album was a nice listen at first, but it wore on me after a while. The lyrics were no good, but could have made great Pink Floyd songs with the input of others. I know Roger said something to the extent of "There's some good stuff" and probably thinking "Why am I doing all the work while THEY are saving their contributions to themselves, and I write all this for their benefit as well as mine" and Rog was the last one to do a solo album after PF picked "The Wall" over Pros and Cons, which is my favorite album.

Edited by MortSahlFan - December 10 2019 at 06:57
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2019 at 07:18
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Syd's is the worst. I voted for Roger, although I like listening to David and Rick's - whose first album was a nice listen at first, but it wore on me after a while. The lyrics were no good, but could have made great Pink Floyd songs with the input of others. I know Roger said something to the extent of "There's some good stuff" and probably thinking "Why am I doing all the work while THEY are saving their contributions to themselves, and I write all this for their benefit as well as mine" and Rog was the last one to do a solo album after PF picked "The Wall" over Pros and Cons, which is my favorite album.
I agree. I don't rate Syd Barrett as a solo artist at all and I didn't expect him to receive any votes, although I've been proven wrong again, as per usual. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 10 2019 at 07:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>