Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - List Percentages of your music collection by genre
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List Percentages of your music collection by genre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List Percentages of your music collection by genre
    Posted: March 16 2023 at 11:21
If I eliminate the non-prog artists from my collection (which amounts to about 15% of my total collection) and only consider the prog artists that are found here in PA, this is the breakdown of genres in my collection. I'm counting only artists, not total albums by those artists. I do have some artists in the genres shown as 0%, but I didn't want to split hairs by showing fractions of a percent.

I'd always suspected I was heavy into psychedelic/space...

Psychedelic/Space Rock 19 %
Symphonic Prog 14 %
Jazz Rock/Fusion 13 %
Eclectic 13 %
Prog Related 9 %
Progressive Electronic 6 %
Crossover 5 %
Neo-Prog 4 %
RIO/Avant-Prog 4 %
Heavy Prog 2 %
Prog Folk 2 %
Progressive Metal 2 %
Krautrock 1 %
Canterbury 1 %
Exp/Post Metal 1 %
RPI 1 %
Post Rock/Math Rock 0 %
Tech/Extreme Metal 0 %
Zeuhl 0 %
Various Genres/Artists 0 %
Proto-Prog 0 %
Indo-Prog/Raga Rock 0 %
“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for those who like country music, denigrate means to ‘put down.'” – Bob Newhart
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 22:46
Good god, I wouldn't even try to attempt this.
I have Prog, blues, metal, doom metal, classic rock, Country, pop, medieval folk, Gregorian chants, classical, jazz fusion, grunge, etc. the list goes on.

But I will admit, it's mostly prog related.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 11:49
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Nice list Lewian, and looks like you put a lot of work into it, but really?: 28% unclassified/unclassifiable ?? Confused

Haha, this is of course because I didn't put that much work into it... I didn't go through all weird and exotic genres to see where to properly classify these things but rather I collected them in unclassified/unclassifiable. I think about 15% don't have a genre entry (or it's "unclassified" or something like this), the rest is genres of which I have 10 or fewer albums (this includes metal if anyone noticed... and punk and R&B and funk etc., as far as these are not classified elsewhere, which of course happened all over the place) or of which the names just don't give a hint where they belong. By the way the number of "albums" by myself and personal friends of mine, most of which are not genre tagged, may reach some 2 or 3% and beats therefore some of the lower listed genres easily.

If they're "weird and exotic", sounds like a lot of them could easily be classified as Progressive in one way or another: lots of RIO/Avant, perhaps? 

"Weird and exotic" doesn't necessarily refer to the music, rather to the genre naming... you have no idea... Let's take a random look and I find genres such as "Data" (which includes an album of leading Alternative Rock band Foals and a German middle age/metal outfit, don't ask why), "Home Listening", an incomprehensible collection of Chinese letters and whatnot. Some RIO/Avant stuff is in Avantgarde/Experimental (together with some very academic stuff that nobody would connect to any genre that has the word "rock" in it... believe me, I have stuff that is far too weird and exotic to appear on PA) and some unclassified, but there it's together with the likes of Bauhaus, Ecuador Incas, Giorgio Moroder, Johannes Brahms etc. The "unclassified" category is just a holy mess. Remember that this is not about what the "true" genre is but rather about what whoever had the job to classify it by whatever criteria did, or refused to do.

Edited by Lewian - January 03 2020 at 11:59
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 11:37
I just ran across this thread.  I would have to guess a rough estimate as I haven't added that category to my spreadsheet.  Perhaps 75% officially categorized as prog around here.  Maybe the other 25% not.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 11:12
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Nice list Lewian, and looks like you put a lot of work into it, but really?: 28% unclassified/unclassifiable ?? Confused

Haha, this is of course because I didn't put that much work into it... I didn't go through all weird and exotic genres to see where to properly classify these things but rather I collected them in unclassified/unclassifiable. I think about 15% don't have a genre entry (or it's "unclassified" or something like this), the rest is genres of which I have 10 or fewer albums (this includes metal if anyone noticed... and punk and R&B and funk etc., as far as these are not classified elsewhere, which of course happened all over the place) or of which the names just doesn't give a hint where they belong. By the way the number of "albums" by myself and personal friends of mine, most of which are not genre tagged, may reach some 2 or 3% and beats therefore some of the lower listed genres easily.

If they're "weird and exotic", sounds like a lot of them could easily be classified as Progressive in one way or another: lots of RIO/Avant, perhaps? 
Z
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 11:05
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

we don't categorize at all, we just sort alphabetically by interpret or in case where appropriate by composer. so for example the Bach family (Johann Sebastian and his many sons, cousins, uncles etc.) rest peacefully between Ayers, Kevin and Back Door
I guess the sheep may safely graze as they rest peacefully between Kevin Ayers and J.S, Bach in your music collection then. Wink
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 06:45
Hi,

Heck if I know ... I just listen to music, and it does not tell me what/where it belongs to ... thus some serious variety is in order! I might even play Turandot right after the Edgar Broughton Band, just to goof you guys up ... and we're not talking the guitar guy either!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 05:31
we don't categorize at all, we just sort alphabetically by interpret or in case where appropriate by composer. so for example the Bach family (Johann Sebastian and his many sons, cousins, uncles etc.) rest peacefully between Ayers, Kevin and Back Door

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 04:31

Haha, this is of course because I didn't put that much work into it... I didn't go through all weird and exotic genres to see where to properly classify these things but rather I collected them in unclassified/unclassifiable. I think about 15% don't have a genre entry (or it's "unclassified" or something like this), the rest is genres of which I have 10 or fewer albums (this includes metal if anyone noticed... and punk and R&B and funk etc., as far as these are not classified elsewhere, which of course happened all over the place) or of which the names just don't give a hint where they belong. By the way the number of "albums" by myself and personal friends of mine, most of which are not genre tagged, may reach some 2 or 3% and beats therefore some of the lower listed genres easily.

Edited by Lewian - January 03 2020 at 11:53
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2020 at 19:12
Z
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2020 at 16:26
In my Vortexbox most albums come with a genre classification, which was mostly given by the artist, the record company, or whoever put it in the files. There are loads and loads of genres and many of these are something of a joke, so the following list is maybe a fun exercise but not to be taken too seriously. I built some "clusters" of these genres that make at least a bit of sense (original genres include "Terror" "synthpop/folk", "World Metal", "Warp Records", and all kinds of spellings and permutations of words in things such as Electronic/Progressive) and looked at how many albums are in these - that's easier at least than classifying every single album manually, but the resulting list is quite weird and may not give an appropriate impression. In fact I believe about half of my stuff may be prog as in "listed on PA", but apart from the prog category these labels put them all over the place including "(classic) rock", "alternative", "ambient", "folk" and even "pop" (some Cardiacs!), apart from the more obvious ones. The "rock" category may have more prog than non-prog. Also note that almost a third is "smaller genres or unclassified" some of which is in fact also prog. OK here we are:

Rock & Classic Rock 13.5%
Prog, Psychedelic, Canterbury, Kraut etc.(genres of which *all* albums are listed on PA) 10.6%
Electronic 8%
Alternative & Indie Rock 6.7%
Jazz 6.6%
Classical 6.5%
Avantgarde & Experimental including experimental 20th/21st century composers 4.8%
Pop 4% 
Folk, Folk Rock & World 2.8%
Ambient, Meditative & New Age 2.3%
New Wave, Synth Pop & Post Punk 1.7%
Industrial & Noise 1.2%
Art Rock 1%
Post Rock & Instrumental 1%
Jazz Rock & Fusion 0.9%
Hip Hop 0.5%
Smaller genres, unclassified  or unclassifiable 28.8%

100% are 2039 albums; all my CDs are on the VB, and I organised or produced files of maybe 40% of the stuff I have on vinyl, tape etc., so some things are missing from this list, maybe another 1000.

Edited by Lewian - January 02 2020 at 16:40
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 23:30
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

^ They certainly had a big influence no question. They did a lot of very experimental stuff and took a lot of risks especially in the later part of their career. As far as the Stones and the Who, I obviously respect them they're Giants who had tons of great stuff, but they're just not special(to me) like the Fabs. I'm sorry.
No need to be sorry, I believe youīre not the only one thinking that way! Although I think Beatles may been the most important band in the pop music, personally Who & Stones have been more important to me. I believe itīs because like Lou Reed I have a Rīn`r -heart. Also I think Who is the most versatile band in pop music, their music goes punk to prog. And what a career they have, managed to make good album this year!

And about Beatles later years, they really took a big risk when wanting develop their music, it wasnīt sure at all theyīre going to succeess with that material, even EMI was very scary about Sgt it would fail.

Edited by Mortte - January 01 2020 at 23:47
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 13:38
I think Unicorn and A Beard of Stars are good. I'm not wild about the first 2 albums but they're certainly not bad.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 13:27
I really like the Glam Rock of T. Rex, but to be honest, I wasn't a big fan of Marc Bolan's earlier Psych-Folk incarnation, Tyrannosaurus Rex.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 13:11
^ They certainly had a big influence no question. They did a lot of very experimental stuff and took a lot of risks especially in the later part of their career. As far as the Stones and the Who, I obviously respect them they're Giants who had tons of great stuff, but they're just not special(to me) like the Fabs. I'm sorry.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 03:50

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Bowie has always been me bigger than Bolan, although even Bowie is not one of my biggest idols. Anyway some years ago I decided to listen all Bolan-albums through and there wasnīt any I didnīt like at all. I donīt think he ever made such a masterpieces as "the Man Who Sold the World", "Hunky Dory" or "Ziggy Stardust", but my faves from him are "Beard Of Stars" and "T-Rex". I believe I will listen his first album (My people were fair...) today again! Whatīs your Beatles-favorite? Mine is Revolver, then comes Sgt & Abbey Road.

I don't really put anyone ahead of Marc Bolan, except maybe Lennon and McCartney, and Zappa.. but that's pretty much it. And agree with you, I consider Revolver the Beatles best album. With Abbey Road right there (obviously a massively great and classic album. And I consider the Let It Be album very underrated in their catalogue, I like it a lot. From the early Beatlemania albums, I like A Hard Day's Night, it's a really good album. I'm such a Beatlemaniac, the only album I don't like from them (or consider weaker than the rest) is Beatles For Sale.. the first like 5 songs are good but after that it's a lot of filler. But the Beatles are the best, there isn't any doubt in my mind. I used to listen to them a lot and still do from time to time.
Wow, so Bolan is to you as big as P J Harvey, Captain Beefheart, Dr. John, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, John Parish, Pekka Pohjola & Jukka Gustavson are to me! I just took Bowie into this, because I have understood they were at least in the begin of seventies some kind of competitors. As I said, Bolan has never been big to me, but I really respect him. I think heīs got own way to do music already in the beginning and continue in his own way, although he hasnīt got same kind of success after Tanx. Anyway he made many decent albums after that. And I also really enjoyed his first album yesterday, you know I have really liked acoustic stuff past few years!

Yeah, youīre right Let It Be is underrated. Of course it has some quite mediocre songs, but the great ones are really great! I used to like only their after Help!-albums, but in the nineties I just decided to buy also their early albums. And I have to say I like them all, maybe With the Beatles is my favorite, although really like also Hard days and Help! And even their first album there are some my big Beatles favorites (title song, Thereīs a Place). I agree you about Beatles For Sale, but there are also some really great songs (Eight Days a Week, Words Of Love, Every Little Thing that Yes made great version). Am I right youīre not big the Who or Stones-fan? I donīt think myself Beatlemaniac, although it has been in my life almost my whole life, but I have a good friend who really is! Also I think there might ever become prog in the mainstream (or maybe not at all) without Beatles.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2019 at 23:56

Bowie has always been me bigger than Bolan, although even Bowie is not one of my biggest idols. Anyway some years ago I decided to listen all Bolan-albums through and there wasnīt any I didnīt like at all. I donīt think he ever made such a masterpieces as "the Man Who Sold the World", "Hunky Dory" or "Ziggy Stardust", but my faves from him are "Beard Of Stars" and "T-Rex". I believe I will listen his first album (My people were fair...) today again! Whatīs your Beatles-favorite? Mine is Revolver, then comes Sgt & Abbey Road.

I don't really put anyone ahead of Marc Bolan, except maybe Lennon and McCartney, and Zappa.. but that's pretty much it. And agree with you, I consider Revolver the Beatles best album. With Abbey Road right there (obviously a massively great and classic album. And I consider the Let It Be album very underrated in their catalogue, I like it a lot. From the early Beatlemania albums, I like A Hard Day's Night, it's a really good album. I'm such a Beatlemaniac, the only album I don't like from them (or consider weaker than the rest) is Beatles For Sale.. the first like 5 songs are good but after that it's a lot of filler. But the Beatles are the best, there isn't any doubt in my mind. I used to listen to them a lot and still do from time to time.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2019 at 05:33
No idea, but something like:

80% prog
40% metal
5% pop

Big smile
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2019 at 04:36
difficult to say. my guess is about this:

35% classical music
5% jazz music
5% ethnic music
50% rock music
5% miscellaneous

to further split up the 50% of rock music:
5% heavy rock (including heavy prog; for us heavy is foremost heavy, prog or not)
5% jazz-rock/fusion
5% symphonic prog
5% RIO/avant (I include Zeuhl in this because there simply are not that many Zeuhl albums to constitute a significant percentage in a collection of about 10000 CDs)
20% psychedelic/space rock (this includes Krautrock. and "Krautrock" does for me NOT mean German prog; many bands listed as Krautrock in the archives fall into some of the other categories)
5% eclectic prog
5% "normal" rock (bands that don't fall into any of these categories)
but this is a very rough estimation; I may be quite wrong about some of the numbers. no special listing of RPI or French prog; I don't differentiate by country, with the exception of Krautrock as a genre, which is not due to country but due to style.

oh, and about 90% of our rock music is 60s or 70s rock music. those were definitely the most creative decades for rock music

Edited by BaldJean - January 01 2020 at 07:04

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2019 at 02:19

Mine is probably about..

90% solo Phil Collins.

8% Prog

2% Classical or Classic Rock, or something.

No, seriously idk. I have a ton of Wishbone Ash, a ton of Beatles. Every T Rex album, every Steely Dan album. All the classic Kiss albums. So I guess like mostly classic stuff. Oh a bunch of Queen albums I see.
Great to hear you love also classic rock like Beatles & T Rex. I have always thought youīre only prog listening person (I think here are many of them). You may already know I love all music that I think great, mainstream or indie, donīt care. And got most of the classic rock albums in my collection (really should buy some T Rex -album).

Oh yeah, you seem to be an open minded kind of music lover like me. And yes I love both T Rex  and obviously The Beatles. As far as T Rex, their(his) most popular albums are certainly Electric Warrior and The Slider. And, for me, those 2 plus Tanx make up their 'Big 3' of truly great albums. A Beard of Stars and the self-titled album are very good as well. Really the only album of theirs that I don't like is Bolan's Zip Gun. Imo their most 'can't miss' album is The Slider. Hope that helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>