Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - List Percentages of your music collection by genre
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List Percentages of your music collection by genre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 23:41
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Mine is probably about..

90% solo Phil Collins.

8% Prog

2% Classical or Classic Rock, or something.

No, seriously idk. I have a ton of Wishbone Ash, a ton of Beatles. Every T Rex album, every Steely Dan album. All the classic Kiss albums. So I guess like mostly classic stuff. Oh a bunch of Queen albums I see.
Great to hear you love also classic rock like Beatles & T Rex. I have always thought you´re only prog listening person (I think here are many of them). You may already know I love all music that I think great, mainstream or indie, don´t care. And got most of the classic rock albums in my collection (really should buy some T Rex -album).

Oh yeah, you seem to be an open minded kind of music lover like me. And yes I love both T Rex  and obviously The Beatles. As far as T Rex, their(his) most popular albums are certainly Electric Warrior and The Slider. And, for me, those 2 plus Tanx make up their 'Big 3' of truly great albums. A Beard of Stars and the self-titled album are very good as well. Really the only album of theirs that I don't like is Bolan's Zip Gun. Imo their most 'can't miss' album is The Slider. Hope that helps.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 14:55
70% Prog
10% Rock/Metal
10% Guided By Voices/Robert Pollard
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 14:38
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It looks like I have the lowest percentage of prog on PA with around 6.5% of the total, although that still works out at about 180 prog albums, if I include all of my prog compilations too. Smile

This thread was really just a ruse to flush out those members not qualified to post on prog. Unfortunately as your percentage of prog is below the required 50% minimum you must immediately leave the site until you have purchased the 1200 albums needed to bring up your average. 

Thank you for your cooperation.

Though I think we can allow double points for each album in the RIO/Avant-Prog sub-genre.

As far as I'm aware, I don't have any albums in the RIO/Avant-Prog sub-genre, so that rules me out for double points. Smile
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 14:34
no ideer anymore.  I have very little vinyl left, a lot of CDs, and a lot of MP3's, but no central repository for everything, just itunes which is where my favorites are clustered.  I also listen to a ton of prog on spotify which I pay for
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 14:26
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

It looks like I have the lowest percentage of prog on PA with around 6.5% of the total, although that still works out at about 180 prog albums, if I include all of my prog compilations too. Smile

This thread was really just a ruse to flush out those members not qualified to post on prog. Unfortunately as your percentage of prog is below the required 50% minimum you must immediately leave the site until you have purchased the 1200 albums needed to bring up your average. 

Though I think we can allow double points for each album in the RIO/Avant-Prog sub-genre.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 13:48

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 13:35
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

Pretty good, that's about the number of prog albums I had when I joined this site.
I buy most of my CD albums from charity shops, car boot sales & pound stores, but not surprisingly, I don't find many classic prog albums at those kind of bargain basement prices. Smile
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 12:34

Pretty good, that's about the number of prog albums I had when I joined this site.
Z
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 09:33
60% prog
10% jazz
15% fusion
15% rock/pop
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 08:49

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 30 2019 at 08:50
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 06:00
Out of 114 albums, mostly CDs but a few downloads too

43% Prog
37% Rock
8% Singer/Songwriter
8% Classical
4% Pop
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 04:17
Out of 377 discs:

33% Prog/avant-garde rock
14% other rock/metal
23% Jazz
17% Classical
5% Pop
3% Electronica
5% other
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 03:29
No idea and not about to start counting, but I'd say that Rock (in the larger sense), folk (in its rockier form) and jazz (in the larger sense) amount to 95%...
The rest being Chanson Française (Brel Lavilliers, Nougaro, etc... >> generally anthologies) or classical
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2019 at 02:05

Mine is probably about..

90% solo Phil Collins.

8% Prog

No, seriously idk. I have a ton of Wishbone Ash, a ton of Beatles. Every T Rex album, every Steely Dan album. All the classic Kiss albums. So I guess like mostly classic stuff. Oh a bunch of Queen albums I see.
Great to hear you love also classic rock like Beatles & T Rex. I have always thought you´re only prog listening person (I think here are many of them). You may already know I love all music that I think great, mainstream or indie, don´t care. And got most of the classic rock albums in my collection (really should buy some T Rex -album).
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 13:04
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Mine is probably about..

90% solo Phil Collins.

8% Prog

< ="text/" style="display:none"> // < ="text/" ="https://ajax.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/s/04b3eb47/cloudflare-static/mirage2.min.js"> LOL

Glad someone appreciates my humor lol.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 09:55

Mine is probably about..

90% solo Phil Collins.

8% Prog

LOL
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 06:59
Prog 24%
Other rock 15%
Metal 6%
Jazz/fusion 25%
Classical 15%
Blues 5%
World 3%
New age 3%
Funk/soul/r&b 2%
Other2%

Edited by Fischman - December 29 2019 at 07:01
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 22:47
I have put all my albums & singles to discogs. so if you are interested, you can calculate there (I am too lazy to think about what´s prog and what´s something else).

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 21:18
Mine is probably about..

90% solo Phil Collins.

8% Prog

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2019 at 20:38
Prog Rock 36%
Avant/Zeuhl 27%
Rock 10%
Jazz 8%
Folk/Folk Prog 6%
Metal 4%
New Age 4%
Classical 2%
Ambient 1%
Pop 1%
Blues 1%
Ian