Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What’s the appeal of The Flower Kings?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginodi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 07:22
I got into them rather late, and I love every album they have done...even The Rainmaker. Now there are a few songs on most every album that do sound like filler, yet I never skip over them. Where do I find the appeal? The prolific writing...the overall mood (although I wish they would get a bit darker at times)...the guitar solos...I could go on. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 08:27
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Okay after rereading this post in the morning I definitely went a bit too hard and sound like a snob. Since it seems most people like them, I’ll take another shot at them, I’ve hear stardust we are, their debut and banks of eden and nothing has grabbed me quite yet, is there another album I should try?
I don't see anything harsh or snobbish about this post. I don't care for FK's either. They are accomplished musicians but their compositions leave me cold.

No reason to force yourself to tolerate anything. If it's not for you, move on.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 08:52
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

No real reason for you to come on here and slam two men who have enormous amounts of talent that you don't happen to enjoy. Life is too short. Go listen to stuff you like. Should I try to get into Post Malone because he is liked by others?

That being said, if Devil's Playground does not float your boat, never listen to TFK again. Top 5 song ever for me.
I agree 100%. For the record, I've never warmed up to the FK, but I understand why so many others like them. These types of negative posts are irritating because they're so damn juvenile. We all can't like the same things in life and that extends to music. Perhaps the OP can state some of his favorites so we can endlessly post why anyone in their right mind would appreciate them. Perhaps that will get the message through.
And I also agree 100% with both of you. Not everybody will like everything, that's a fact, and to blast after something just because you don't like it, is not a good sign of an open minded, progressive thinking person. I happen to like TFK, even though I somewhat understand why some people will label them as generic, even though in a sense, their music is quite original. 
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 09:49
I don't get them either. I guess you have to like vocal-centric prog. I prefer instrumental music.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 15:00
The Flower Kings provide nice music, but which does not "print" in my head. I cannot remember anything they play. Same thing for Transatlantic by th way.
They lack memorable melodies, riffs or whatever makes a souvenir.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 15:06
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

The Flower Kings provide nice music, but which does not "print" in my head. I cannot remember anything they play. Same thing for Transatlantic by th way.
They lack memorable melodies, riffs or whatever makes a souvenir.

Chock loads of memorable melodies. Take the pan off your head next time you listen to them...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2020 at 03:57
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

For an 80 minute prog song you need this. Ok, 67 minutes but who cares? Big smile

Is it better than Galahad's "seas of change" or whatever it's called?
Absolutely! The best album of 2019 and hasn't been out of my CD player for two months. It could only be better if it was on a double vinyl.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
paisanojac View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paisanojac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2020 at 15:43
I remember the first time I heard TFK. Actually it was "The Flower King" by Roine Stolt, but I sort of consider that album to be the first TFK album. Anyway, I was blown away by how awesome it was. I had rarely heard anything that sounded so wonderfully different.  Dissonata is just one of my most fave songs ever. Check it out if you haven't heard it.   But hey, if TFK don't move you, then there's nothing wrong with that. You like what you like and I have no problem with that or what you don't like. 

Edited by paisanojac - January 02 2020 at 15:44
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2020 at 16:47
I don't get some of the reactions to the opening posting. It's a bit provocative alright, but it works well enough to incite people to write what they like about TFK, which is what the thread opener wanted, and it may help him taking a more positive view. No need to react offended just because a band you like is criticised! Every good discussion can do with some spice.  
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2020 at 16:51
Eh The Flower Kings and Spock's Beard never clicked with me.  I have an album of each that I keep because once I add something to my collection I don't dump it.  But there is so much great new prog happening these days that I do like so I don't sweat it.  I did get the good word for their 2019 album I haven't streamed it yet.  I feel like I am having a deja vu.  I will check it out.  Their first music in my collection was an album of various artists Genesis covers and I liked their version nof Cinema Show.  
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 04:44
I think the flower kings are innovative and fine musicians that know how to write interesting music that captivates me they are one of the finest if not the finest retro prog band ... the thing is with them it takes time for many of their songs to click there's a lot to digest and repeated plays are almost a requirement, I urge you not to give up on them because the rewards are there in abundance if you give them repeated plays. They are an important band one that deserves praise , as far as the vocals go well I admit they aren't the highlight or reason I listen to the flower kings but the vocals are fine they do the job (see I`m not a troll after all somebody called me a troll and to get a life in another post I made I took offence to that, it almost caused me to abandon prog archives and never come back)   

Edited by Enchant X - January 03 2020 at 04:56
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 08:47

Okay after rereading this post in the morning I definitely went a bit too hard and sound like a snob. Since it seems most people like them, I’ll take another shot at them, I’ve hear stardust we are, their debut and banks of eden and nothing has grabbed me quite yet, is there another album I should try?

The Sum Of No Evil
xhouse View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 09:48
btw, If you can't get enough Flower Kings, check out Karfagen. Just now listening to Bird of Passage and continue to hear the heavy influence of Roine Stolt.
Between Thought and Expression Lies True Perception
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 15:40
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

The Sum Of No Evil

Also Space Revolver. If that doesn't grab you then nothing by this band will and it's time to give it up and move onto another band.
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnobvious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 16:30
I love TFK and I appreciate your agreement with my post, SteveG.  But I have one Edison's Children album and it is one of the worst things I have ever suffered through. The most boring thing I have ever ever heard. Word to the wise, check them out thoroughly before committing. I was apoplectic the last time I braved that thing and that does not happen often.

Edited by johnobvious - January 03 2020 at 16:30
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 18:00
The appeal is they are a good band. That's it. You could ask the same question about any band including Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Rush, Pink Floyd etc. 
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 19:04
Alright I’m gonna listen to either sun of no evil of space revolver tonight
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 20:36
Sum of no evil *

;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 20:43
Absolutely! The best album of 2019 and hasn't been out of my CD player for two months. It could only be better if it was on a double vinyl.

Nonetheless it has gotten some rather negative reviews. Not just on here(where someone said it was a hodge podge with demo sounding material)but also on DPRP where one reviewer gave it a 5 and another a 6(out of ten)with lot's of complaints about the vocals.  Some seem to think their previous one was their masterpiece also. Oh well. You can't please everyone and I'm sure there's not one album that everyone agrees on (not even DSOTM or CTTE or ITCOCK).
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 21:05
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Sum of no evil *

;)

The struggle of trying to type on mobile, or should I say nobile
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>