FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums you no longer enjoy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums you no longer enjoy?
    Posted: January 12 2020 at 04:48
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The tendancy is to select which album by the old school bands we want to listen to.
If I fancy ELP then its Brain Salad Surgery , for Yes I tend to reach for CTTE, Genesis varies between Trick and Foxtrot... etc etcc. I do think this is normal and doesn't reflect badly on these bands other efforts. There is only a certain amount of time in the day for music listening and there are still great modern bands releasing new stuff that needs attention.

I'm quite different; if I play the classic bands I prefer to play one I haven't visited for quite a while.

that's the correct approach. I'm not disciplined enough though Smile

It's not about discipline though, it's about what I feel like doing. (Although I still play the Discipline regularly and am still enjoying it. Wink)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 01:18
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The tendancy is to select which album by the old school bands we want to listen to.
If I fancy ELP then its Brain Salad Surgery , for Yes I tend to reach for CTTE, Genesis varies between Trick and Foxtrot... etc etcc. I do think this is normal and doesn't reflect badly on these bands other efforts. There is only a certain amount of time in the day for music listening and there are still great modern bands releasing new stuff that needs attention.

I'm quite different; if I play the classic bands I prefer to play one I haven't visited for quite a while.

that's the correct approach. I'm not disciplined enough though Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 05:46

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 00:33
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 12:42
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Sad to say, but most of the old prog classics. It's been ages since I've listened to Fragile, CttE, SEbtP, The Lamb, A Trick Of The Tail, DSotM, WYWH, etc., etc. I doubt I will ever revisit them before I kick off, but never say never.

I feel the same way.....I don't often play those classics anymore...heard them too often.
Unhappy

I have and will revisit SEBTP and CTTE and WYWH, the others, posdibly not....
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 10:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Sad to say, but most of the old prog classics. It's been ages since I've listened to Fragile, CttE, SEbtP, The Lamb, A Trick Of The Tail, DSotM, WYWH, etc., etc. I doubt I will ever revisit them before I kick off, but never say never.

I feel the same way.....I don't often play those classics anymore...heard them too often.
Unhappy

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 23:40
Originally posted by hugo1995 hugo1995 wrote:

Dark Side of the Moon was the first prog album I ever heard and it rocked my world literally. Wouldn't of found prog without it.

Can't stand to listen to that vanilla album now.

Yeah, Dark Side was another LP that was strangled to death by Chicago rock radio, along with Led Zep 4 and a bunch of Rush LPs.  If I hear "Money," I want to scream.  "Animals" and "Meddle" remain my favorite PF albums.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Rrattlesnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 16:20
Any time someone recommends me Zappa I scoff.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 16:14
I'm tired of discussing GG. Nektar - Recycled used to be something I couldn't get enough of. Now I see it as a collection of commercial hooks tied together with transitions. Maybe I would feel less that way if it had led to something other than the heavily commercialized attempt of Magic is a Child.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 15:52
Dark Side of the Moon was the first prog album I ever heard and it rocked my world literally. Wouldn't of found prog without it.

Can't stand to listen to that vanilla album now.
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 10:46
Yep, couldn't care less man. That little prog-related gem is far better than many full-blown prog albums i've heard.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 10:04
Aye, there you have it...prog related..it aint prog to my ears...or anything near...
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 09:55
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Radiohead
Radiohead you are either a troll or need to get a life  ... grow up

WTF???

I'm with progmatic. I didn't include Radiohead on my list, although I think they are total sh*te. That's because I've ALWAYS thought they were total sh*te.
Do you want me to get s life and grow up, too?

Aye. Ok Computer....MEH

Yep. OK Computer....best prog-related album of '97
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 09:38
All of Magellan's releases.

I used to be in awe of those guys; they didn't leave a space empty. But in time, that wall of sound is exactly what annoys me a little. And they were the first I heard from the more modern prog. I've heard so many good bands since then, that I confess I haven't heard any Magellan since maybe half a decade ago. Perhaps even more.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 09:22
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Radiohead
Radiohead you are either a troll or need to get a life  ... grow up

WTF???

I'm with progmatic. I didn't include Radiohead on my list, although I think they are total sh*te. That's because I've ALWAYS thought they were total sh*te.
Do you want me to get s life and grow up, too?

Aye. Ok Computer....MEH
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 09:14
Originally posted by deafmoon deafmoon wrote:

The entire 80's & 90's Genesis catalog starting with Duke. Haven't listened in years and have no desire to. In fact, I must have sold these tapes and cd's, because they don't even exist in my collection.   

THIS...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 09:00
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

I can't say I like Avantasia's Metal Opera (part I) as much as when I was fourteen.

Oh no.. now I want to listen to it again!

I was recently listening to "the scarecrow" in my car(which apparently is the third one). It's ok. I think some parts are good but others are maybe a bit cheesy or something. I think I would much rather listen to Symphony X or Rhapsody(of fire). I do sometimes like that big bombastic approach though.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 08:52
I no longer enjoy listening to Culture Club, the Bay City Rollers or Gary Glitter. Smile

I still enjoying listening to all of my prog albums though, and I've bought six new prog albums in the short time I've been here: two 1970 albums by Van Der Graaf Generator and the first four albums by Steve Hillage, none of which I would've even considered buying if I hadn't been a member of ProgArchives. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 09 2020 at 09:03
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 04:42
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Some time ago I listened few Faith No More albums that I haven´t listened a long time and I don´t understand why I like them in the nineties. Not sounding totally bad but...

I've had the same reaction. Though the lead singer has potential, I'll have to keep an eye open for him.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 04:05
Some time ago I listened few Faith No More albums that I haven´t listened a long time and I don´t understand why I like them in the nineties. Not sounding totally bad but...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>