Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst album from a prog band/artist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 14:24
Why is Love Beach considered as ELP's worst when there's In the Hot Seat? Confused
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 14:42
Dredg's Chuckles and Mr Squeezy from the ridiculous album cover to the left turn they took musically. No wonder it was their last album, hopefully.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 15:03
It's a choice for me between "Lizard" or "Larks Tongues in Aspic" for the worst album by King Crimson, although I haven't listened to their more recent albums.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 15:30
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It's a choice for me between "Lizard" or "Larks Tongues in Aspic" for the worst album by King Crimson, although I haven't listened to their more recent albums.

For me, THRAK is probably King Crimson's least successful outing, which is not to say that I think it's a bad album per se, but I don't think they really managed to marry the KC sound of the 70s with that of the 80s in a convincing way that doesn't end up as stale imitation, and for my taste it has too many straight-forward pop/rock songs that don't really stand out to me.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 15:35
I think beat is the clear worst tbh
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 16:19
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Jethro Tull - Warchild
Rush - Roll the Bones

'Warchild ' is Tull's worst album? 

I never cared for it that much, but I don't think it's even their worst album of the 70's.

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 16:29
I think Calling All Stations is the worst Genesis album.
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 16:37
Triumvirat's  'Russian Roulette' is a contender.

Amon Duul II - pretty much anything after 'Made in Germany'. If any of them are worse than 'Only Human', I don't want to know.

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 23:18
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I think I may as well start a new thread called "Is Love Beach the Prog equivalent of Plan 9 From Outer Space?" Or maybe just design a web site to the vitriol surrounding it.

LOLLOLLOL
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 23:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Camels The Single Factor, contract obligations. I also don’t like stationary travelled though I know many do, it’s not what I look for in the band. Thankfully they had a fantastic comeback after a series of meh albums with Rajaz

I wouldn't say I dislike The Single Factor album but I agree that it's Camel's weakest album. I really like the Stationary Traveller album though.

I just don't get it that people don't like Stationary Traveller.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 23:39
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

It's not good, but it's at least self-aware and ridiculous enough to be entertaining in its own way, whereas "A La Carte" is just sappy saccharine fluff
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 23:51
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

It's not good, but it's at least self-aware and ridiculous enough to be entertaining in its own way, whereas "A La Carte" is just sappy saccharine fluff

Maybe that's the one I'm thinking of. I can remember the music but don't strongly associate it with a specific album or cover. Just that it was one of the worst cases I can remember of a formerly prog band utterly surrendering to what they evidently thought was commercial pop. Which might not have been a complete disaster, except they turned out to be truly awful at it.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 00:17
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Why is Love Beach considered as ELP's worst when there's In the Hot Seat? Confused

The cover mainly

Love Beach is still ELP regardless of how bad it was but in The Hot Seat was not even ELP as on one track there are even session musicians playing. ITHS is definitely ELP's worst.
Love Beach has only one real stinker of a track and that is a Taste Of My Love

All I Want Is You ( decent radio type fodder)
Love Beach - ( Carl plays really well , ignore the lyrics!)
The Gambler - Female backing vocals lifts this song
A Taste Of My Love ( yep this is 100% shyte)
For You ( decent Greg Lake song , one of the better tracks)
Canario ( not a fan but generally this is quite well liked)
Memoirs Of An Officer and A Gentleman ( Starts strong but fades towards the end but not a bad end of career epic at a time when no one was doing epics)

Overall I think it rates about 2.5/5 but admittedly nothing on it gets close to the glory days

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 05:28
On some of the contenders:
Eloy - Ra: Good choice, terrible album. What was wrong with Frank's ears at the time?
Camel - The Single Factor: Not a top album by any standard but has a few nice songs and listening to it isn't too bad - played as random music in a pub I'd probably say "they show good taste".
Amon Düül II - Only Human. This has the amazing Kismet, which is one of the best songs ever. The rest of the album is largely forgettable, still overall there's much space below it.
King Crimson - Beat: Straight five stars if you ask me.

I've never heard Love Beach and chances are I never will. Why would I? There are some 2000 albums that I haven't heard yet and I'd be interested in listening to first.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 06:18
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

The cover mainly

Love Beach is still ELP regardless of how bad it was but in The Hot Seat was not even ELP as on one track there are even session musicians playing. ITHS is definitely ELP's worst.
Love Beach has only one real stinker of a track and that is a Taste Of My Love

All I Want Is You ( decent radio type fodder)
Love Beach - ( Carl plays really well , ignore the lyrics!)
The Gambler - Female backing vocals lifts this song
A Taste Of My Love ( yep this is 100% shyte)
For You ( decent Greg Lake song , one of the better tracks)
Canario ( not a fan but generally this is quite well liked)
Memoirs Of An Officer and A Gentleman ( Starts strong but fades towards the end but not a bad end of career epic at a time when no one was doing epics)

Overall I think it rates about 2.5/5 but admittedly nothing on it gets close to the glory days

I don't think Love Beach is a bad album, I've never paid much attention to the lyrics though, I'll admit that.

But half of In the Hot Seat is unlistenable. And they cheat by playing Pictures... again, reworked.

Edited by Cristi - January 11 2020 at 06:18
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 02:11

Beat has a bunch of forgettable tunes but also a few that I really love ("Neurotica", "Neal And Jack And Me"). On the other hand, when I look at the track listing of THRAK (the thrack listing, if you will), all I think is "eh..."

I do think it's funny how everyone seems to have their own least favourite KC album LOL
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 04:46
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Beat has a bunch of forgettable tunes but also a few that I really love ("Neurotica", "Neal And Jack And Me"). On the other hand, when I look at the track listing of THRAK (the thrack listing, if you will), all I think is "eh..."

I do think it's funny how everyone seems to have their own least favourite KC album LOL

I'm a dinosaur, somebody is digging my bones...
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bitterblogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 00:42
God forbid Yes releases anything if its anything like Heaven and Earth
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 01:05

I don't think they made a bad album, although if I had to rank them, Beat would probably be my least favourite. I really like Thrak.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 08:51
Jethro Tull - Too Old For Rock and Roll, too Young to Die

On paper, this should have been the next Aqualung. But in execution it was a dismal disappointment, desperately lacking in the wit, satire, or pathos we had come to expect from Ian Anderson. It just falls completely flat at first and gets annoying from there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>