Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Whichalbums of the sixties should be inthe Top100?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whichalbums of the sixties should be inthe Top100?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Chose one, two or three answer
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [1.75%]
6 [3.51%]
1 [0.58%]
12 [7.02%]
17 [9.94%]
13 [7.60%]
10 [5.85%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.58%]
10 [5.85%]
20 [11.70%]
3 [1.75%]
6 [3.51%]
3 [1.75%]
12 [7.02%]
4 [2.34%]
9 [5.26%]
4 [2.34%]
14 [8.19%]
1 [0.58%]
5 [2.92%]
5 [2.92%]
1 [0.58%]
7 [4.09%]
4 [2.34%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:00
Hello girls and boys,

there is something I have to say.

In this poll I have chosen albums classified as progressive released in the 1968 or 1969.

The 23 albums I selected I took them from the PA chart. I inserted all the 1968 albums in the PA chart, adding the Nice album, and the New Trolls album, then I took most of the albums that are at the top of the 1969 PA chart, adding someone who is not in the first places.

So they are not allowed - Proto-prog albums,
like the Beatles or the Who or the Doors or The Jimi Hendrix E. or the Jefferson Airplane albums

- Prog-related album.

If I had also considered proto-prog albums, I would certainly have placed Abbey Road, Tommy, Electric Ladyland and many more, but this ranking DOES NOT include proto-prog albums.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - January 10 2020 at 18:16
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:12
Ummagumma
Phallus Dei
Trout Mask Replica
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:17
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I just watched that top100 list. There are albums that donīt surprise me at all, but what really is surprising is that there is no Kraut album, not a single album even from Can! So is it so todayīs proglisteners donīt know Kraut at all? Anyway there are 2 Magma albums. Also, I havenīt ever even heard about Wobbler: From Silence To Somewhere or Änglagård: Hybris, that are quite high on the list. Are those albums something, I really should listen?

Amon Duul II & CAN should certainly have at least one album in the top 100, Future Days & Yeti would probably get my vote.
Ian

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:23
All the Zappa, Floyd and Tull.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 18:38
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The problem with this is of course that it's easy to say XXX should be in without saying who should be out. Apart from having any number of albums in mind that are neither on your list nor in the top 100 but I'd like to see there. Does "adding six albums to the top 100" mean that it's then top 106? Are we meant to assume our personal top 100 as a reference (in which case none of these would make it, but also only about 5 that are currently in the top 100) or some weird compromise between personal taste and "generally appreciated albums" meant to represent prog? The thing is that for all its weaknesses the current top 100 at least has a properly defined formal basis, like it or not. If we're voting on changing it, the basis has to be different and it's not clear what it should be then.

About the music: Ummagumma and Soft Machine II out of these come closest in my opinion; Ummagumma could well be in it if I'd have to compile a personal/general lame compromise prog top 100, maybe even SMII, but I'm not sure. Am tempted to vote "none" just because I find that the current system makes more sense than decision by poll voting...   

PS: Have voted for Ummagumma, SMII and None. Tongue
PPS: From the 60s Monster Movie is about at the level of Ummagumma and SMII. Revolver is actually better but probably wouldn't qualify.
PPPS: I may sound very critical but actually I like polls that make me reflect on such things, so don't take it as all negative.

1) I agree that it would be better to say what to remove, when you want to add, but in this case it is a question of inserting a maximum of 3 albums in the top 100 list, where I believe each of us would have no problem finding three to remove.

2) The question is: in your opinion, which albums published in the sixties should be in the top 100 of PA? We are talking about a ranking.

3) I can't distinguish between my tastes and the charts. If I have to rank the best progressive albums, I rely on what I think are the most beautiful. There may be historically important, significant albums, which, however, I consider not very beautiful, and so in my opinion the distinction, if anything, should be between

- important, historically significant albums, which represent the prog

and

- the most beautiful albums of progressive: in this case, you only choose in based on beauty, without looking at whether an album is famous, appreciated in general or not, it could be a semi-unknown album but that you consider among the most beautiful and then you put it in the charts.

I always use this second criterion, the criterion of beauty, which is obviously a subjective beauty, but I would not say that what I consider most beautiful are my favorites.

The PA ranking is formulated in an ambiguous way, in my opinion, because it brings together the historical importance of an album with its beauty.

So, do not look at what is universally appreciated, look at what you think is most beautiful, and if for you no album from 1968 or 1969 is among the 100 most beautiful, it means that you would not add any, indeed, that you would also remove the three already present.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 19:30
I cheated since I voted four times. Sorry.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 22:26
^It was allowed, I think even recommended to vote many times. I voted almost every album.

I think itīs bit a problem proto-prog is not allowed. Prog term didnīt even exist in the sixties, so didnīt rio/avant, so all the albums in that threadīs list are less or more protoprog.

Also, I go still little into that top100, itīs very interesting there are only first Emerson, Lake & Palmer. I am not a big fan of theirs, but at least here in forum I have seen many that are. Also, when those albums (I think quite unknown) are on high on the list, there are missing prog masterpieces like Oldfield Tubular Bells, Floydīs Atom Heart & the Wall, without talking about many sixties masterpieces. And not a single Hawkwind album on the list. Interesting is also that Wobbler has only 600 ratings, when others in the near places have over 1000, many of them over 2000 (three highest over 4000). What I can think about that is that collaborators reviews seem to be the highest value in that list. Also, there are 1967-75 top50 list, where are same albums from those years, that are also in top100 list, that I donīt see any sense.

Edited by Mortte - January 10 2020 at 23:01
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 23:12
I won't say what should be in the top 100 since that is a group decision based on algorithms, but I voted for one that I think is worthy of being there: To Our Children's Children's Children.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 23:26
I think itīs the people who set the algorithms. Or how do you explain why album that got 600 ratings goes over 52 albums that have over 1000 ratings (many of them over 2000).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 00:07
I'm ok with their only being three sixties prog albums in the top 100 because in my opinion there were very few full blown prog albums released in that decade. One of them of course is on there and is the highest rated one. If we want to discuss proto or psych albums I'm ok with that. I have maybe a slightly different take on proto than this site does. Regardless, it seems to be a good list with lots of interesting early goodies on there.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 00:10
Btw, High Tide was a band not an album. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 01:04
Valentyne Suite sticks out a mile for me

Others that I think are important in the development of prog and so should be recognised
Beatles - Revolver
The Nice - The Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack
Procol Harum - Shine On Brightly

Non prog(apparently) but amazing albums
Love - Forever Changes
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 02:03
Proto-prog list would be also great!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 02:32
Vol. 2, Trout Mask, and Uncle Meat 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 06:49

I think itīs the people who set the algorithms. Or how do you explain why album that got 600 ratings goes over 52 albums that have over 1000 ratings (many of them over 2000).

Because it's average rating is higher? You want a 3 star album with 2,000 ratings higher that a 4 star album with 1,000?
Ian

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 09:07
CTA, Caravan, Stand Up, Phallus Dei, Valentyne Suite
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 10:31
Of the ones I've heard from this list Ummagumma is the only one that qualifies. Another I might put in is The Collectors' debut album. Revolver and Sgt. Pepper might be interesting options as well.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 10:54
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

1) I agree that it would be better to say what to remove, when you want to add, but in this case it is a question of inserting a maximum of 3 albums in the top 100 list, where I believe each of us would have no problem finding three to remove.
This is actually true, however one would also need to take into account other (non 60s) albums that are not in the top 100 but one would like to have there. Because I'd not be happy (and I'd be surprised if anyone was) with a top 100 in which I can only insert 60s albums, but nothing else that isn't in there right now can enter.
2) The question is: in your opinion, which albums published in the sixties should be in the top 100 of PA? We are talking about a ranking.

3) I can't distinguish between my tastes and the charts. If I have to rank the best progressive albums, I rely on what I think are the most beautiful. There may be historically important, significant albums, which, however, I consider not very beautiful, and so in my opinion the distinction, if anything, should be between

- important, historically significant albums, which represent the prog

and

- the most beautiful albums of progressive: in this case, you only choose in based on beauty, without looking at whether an album is famous, appreciated in general or not, it could be a semi-unknown album but that you consider among the most beautiful and then you put it in the charts.
So are you basically saying that you think the PA top 100 should be identical to the top 100 regarding your personal taste? Or do you make a difference there (apart from the fact that non-prog, proto-prog etc. don't quality)?

For me personally the general PA top 100 and my personal one are quite different, and so it should be. Ultimately the PA top 100 have to be a compromise between the different people who rate on PA, and that's what they currently are. The rating system, as far as I understand its features, seems well thought through and makes good sense to me. There are things we can criticise but I doubt that anyone could come up with a clearly better formal system. Problems happen because any formal system can be manipulated and no formal system can capture all the issues people want it to capture.

I could agree with the idea that there are albums that "deserve" to be there, because of quality, impact, originality, but aren't, but ultimately it is hard to argue this without asking for the whole system to be changed, and I don't see a better one. And at the end of the day it's just taste and opinion.

The PA ranking is formulated in an ambiguous way, in my opinion, because it brings together the historical importance of an album with its beauty.
I disagree. It is defined by a formal system that as far as I know is unambiguous. It is not defined by specific criteria but by ratings, weights, and rating numbers. How can "beauty" be defined without being personal only?

So, do not look at what is universally appreciated, look at what you think is most beautiful, and if for you no album from 1968 or 1969 is among the 100 most beautiful, it means that you would not add any, indeed, that you would also remove the three already present.
I'm fine with Hot Rats and ITCOTCK, and I can see why they are above everything listed here. (By the way, thinking about it again, probably at least Ummagumma if not SMII, Monster Movie, Uncle Meat, and Trout Mask Replica, would make my personal only prog top 100, and probably some more than 5 that are currently in the top 100.)
frankbostick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbostick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 11:25
From the list:
Moody Blues - In Search of...
Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of...
Colosseum - Valentyne's Suite
Jethro Tull - Stand Up
Family - Entertainment
Amon Dull II - Phallus Dei

Not in list:
Renaissance - S/T

Edited by frankbostick - January 11 2020 at 11:29
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 13:07
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Because it's average rating is higher? You want a 3 star album with 2,000 ratings higher that a 4 star album with 1,000?
No. There are over 50 four stars albums that has over four stars and over 1000 ratings, 17 albums (for example Relayer, Hemispheres, Aqualung, a Farewell to Kings, Lamb) four stars & over 2000 ratings behind that four stars album with 600 ratings. Wobbler ratings is 4.42, those others have 4.22-4.37, so the difference in the averages is just few decimales. There are no three stars albums in top100. Just look at yourself if you donīt believe.

I am just trying to say, that I think itīs different if over 2000 people give 4-5 stars to some album as if 600 people gives 4-5 stars to some album.

Edited by Mortte - January 11 2020 at 13:36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>