Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which prog singer has the biggest vocal range?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which prog singer has the biggest vocal range?
    Posted: January 12 2020 at 03:46
Which prog singer has the biggest vocal range, "from soprano down to basso"? Voice (sic!) your opinions.

By the way: The Guinness book of records has the world-famous German singer Ivan Rebroff as singer with the biggest vocal range. His voice had the amazing range of four and a half octaves! You have to listen to this (even if this kind of music is not your cup of tea); he is going full range in this one:

What an amazing voice!

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 03:59
I am fairly certain it is Demetrio Stratos or perhaps his fellow countryman, Claudio Milano. Never heard anyone in prog coming even remotely close to the type of range of these guys.

Ahh nuts! Diamanda Galas perchance?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 04:01
I'm certain Magma's Christian Vander will end up quite high on the list (if falsetto counts)

Edited by Mirakaze - January 12 2020 at 04:09
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 04:34
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I'm certain Magma's Christian Vander will end up quite high on the list (if falsetto counts)

And if Klaus Blasquiz counts . He has a range of five octaves.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 04:53
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

And if Klaus Blasquiz counts . He has a range of five octaves.

Klaus Blasquiz has a big vocal range but not 5 octaves. Ivan Rebroff is still tops.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 04:56
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I am fairly certain it is Demetrio Stratos or perhaps his fellow countryman, Claudio Milano. 

Stratos was actually Greek, though he may have had the Italian citizenship, not sure. Good bet in any case.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 05:13
Yeah I tend to forget that. His parents were Greek, he was born in Egypt..and lived in Italy. That’s quite the cultural backdraft to a curious and infinitely imaginative musician. I wish there were more like Demetrio but I guess he truly was one of a kind. His approach to the human voice alongside his interesting and personal study of the very same has always been a huge inspiration to me. Not because I am a singer but merely because ‘edges’ interest me highly. The edge of anything can be vastly fascinating - be that edges between cultures, music or indeed the edge of the human voice..where it seems to be able to transform into everything from wild and exotic instruments to roaring animals, creatures and natural sounds like those found in stormwinds or soft dripping echoeing in wet caves.
That is the beauty of Demetrio: he can sound like anything.

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 12 2020 at 05:48
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 05:49
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 06:23
I know he's not prog but I read an article a couple of years ago that concluded that the singer with the biggest range in rock was Axl Rose.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 06:48
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I know he's not prog but I read an article a couple of years ago that concluded that the singer with the biggest range in rock was Axl Rose.

Axl?! I giggled...
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 07:22
I remember when I first was getting into prog, Steve Walsh always really impressed me. Nowadays sometimes I feel like he was overreaching a bit, but he could pretty smoothly go from the highs to lows on songs like the pinnacle.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 08:06
Dimash Kudaibergen of Kazakhstan has 7 octaves (minus one full note) of singing voice. (A1-G8). His active range also tops 5 octaves.

Search youtube with the "Dimash Kudaibergen vocal range" keywords (D8 is wrong information, he did G8 there) and I advise Sinful Passion and SOS of him too. For his full operatic range, you can search "Dimash Kudaibergen Olimpico" also.

He also sings very good with various techniques and a wide array of emotions.

As for prog, I don't know the singer with the highest octave.

Edited by Odvin Draoi - January 12 2020 at 08:13
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 08:30
Happy Rhodes must be a contender for female(if she can be considered prog) but not sure about male. Maybe Jon Anderson? 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 12 2020 at 08:31
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 09:11
Greg Lake seems to have a good range and vocal controll. Also roumerd hav kt that David Bowie could sing around 6 octaves.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 09:42
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Greg Lake seems to have a good range and vocal controll. Also roumerd hav kt that David Bowie could sing around 6 octaves.

The first minute or so shows quite a wide range....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 09:56
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Axl?! I giggled...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/10848713/Axl-Rose-has-a-larger-vocal-range-than-Mariah-Carey.html
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 10:00

Axl?! I giggled...

I believe you read an article. I'm not gonna read it, i don't care for Axl anymore, I don't even think he's a good vocalist, that's why I laughed.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 10:15
Possibly Annie Haslam. She can really hit those high notes. Smile

As for male singers with the best vocal range, I'd vote for David Byron of Uriah Heep, or the singer with Pavlov's Dog, who sounds like he's inhaled too much helium. Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 10:25
Originally posted by Odvin Draoi Odvin Draoi wrote:

Dimash Kudaibergen of Kazakhstan has 7 octaves (minus one full note) of singing voice. (A1-G8). His active range also tops 5 octaves.

Not sure about the numbers but surely the guy is a miracle.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 10:28

Axl?! I giggled...

They later determined that Mike Patton had the largest range of all rock singers. Other prog-related singers high on the list include Roger Waters, Paul McCartney and Devin Townsend.

https://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2014/05/digging-deeper-axl-rose-is-not-singer.html

Of course, having a large range doesn't necessarily mean a singer sings well throughout that entire range... I don't think it takes into account fluctuations in vocal range due to aging or fatigue, either. So a young rock star could get points for belting out the super high notes in their 20s, and then start singing super low notes decades later after they've ruined their voice, but never be able to sing both on the same night.

Edited by ForestFriend - January 12 2020 at 10:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>