Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Fans in Our 60's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2022 at 20:32
In 72 I discovered Hawkwind's music at a record shop in South Jersey. Shortly after I discovered Can, Guru Guru, Amon Duul II. Then Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Cosmic Jokers, Neu, Ashra Temple and at the age of 16...that's basically what I liked listening to . Maybe because it was new to me at that time. It was next to impossible sharing that music experience with others and I think that can be attributed to the area I lived in.

Most of the albums I collected were import albums by Krautrock bands and it was difficult to find them. The Billingsgate label released just a few Krautrock albums in the U.S. along with Passport Records. Everyone I knew in New Jersey who were fans of Yes or Genesis didn't approve of Krautrock . It didn't matter if it had the sound of Electronic Music or Space Rock ..they hated it and did not want to hear it. For example..." What is this?" "This is too repetitive " "Don't play this"

As soon as I entered the big city...then I started meeting people that listened to bands like Guru Guru, Popol Vuh...etc

Sometime...in the late 70s or early 80s...there was Electronic Music coming out of Mexico. Jorge Reyes, Carlos Alverado, Alquimia, Jose Fernandez Ledesma, and several other unknowns. They had all played in Progressive Rock bands, but then pursued Electronic Music and their music was played on WXPN Star's End after hours program along with their recordings being distributed as bird helpings in the U.S.

Then there were rumors that an actual Electronic Music scene existed in Mexico during this time. I was informed of this by friends I had in Philadelphia who followed Electronic Music. I don't know how true that is. I do know that it would be a beautiful experience to look at the nightsky in Mexico while hearing Electronic Music. There were performances of Electronic Music in Mexico and or gatherings as such that people who lived there enjoyed it. There actually could have been a Electronic Music scene there...but I've never been able to confirm it.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2022 at 08:14
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

Most of the albums I collected were import albums by Krautrock bands .... 

Any particular reason for why you mostly were into Krautrock, Jacob?
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2022 at 20:01
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Probably because of the sounds. The electronics. There seemed to be a number of bands using electronics along with musicians that started out in a band and went completely Electronic. Such as Edgar Froese and Klaus Schulze being the best example..however there were others. Most of them performed at the Zodiak.

As a teenager I put more value in the term "Space Rock". I felt that the idea for Space Rock originally derived from Sci-Fi themes in the early 60s. This style of guitar riffing originated in themes like "The Outer Limits", "The Twilight Zone", "Mission Impossible " etc..then by 67' it was once again heard in British Psychedelic Rock in songs like "Lucifer Sam", "Astromony Domine " and "Interstellar Overdrive " written by Syd Barrett...who could have learned those themes. This style became of interest in Japan when The Ventures toured there and that particular style of guitar playing was popular amongst the youth of the early 60s in the U.K. and the U.S. and if you were a kid learning guitar it was inevitable that you'd eventually learn a James Bond theme simply because of how relevant it was.

After Syd Barrett left Pink Floyd..several albums from Krautrock bands were released and I could hear that many of them pick up on the idea that Syd Barrett put to use. Not that they sounded completely like him...but just the essence of what he did with the Floyd turned up on Amon Duul Yeti, some sections of Can's music, early Guru Guru and obvious Electronic soundscapes on Tangerine Dream Atem that had similarities to Rick Wright on Ummagumma. Syd Barrett was influenced by the AMMM Music album and he seemed to use some of those ideas on Piper.. Since AMMM was experimental it interested musicians to try it on there own.. That particular idea is commonly found in Krautrock. I found Krautrock interesting and it took me on a journey.

The style of Electronic Music in Berlin was quite unique and differed from several of the pioneers of Electronic Music in America such as Ruth White, Mort Garson, Pauline Oliveros , Wendy Carlos Beaver & Krause etc...in some examples it didn't such as Paul Beaver's oscillating synthesizer on Ragnarock but yet musicians in the Krautrock movement composed differently. Even though a lot of it was improvised ...it was also planned out. Popol Vuh's music contained improvisation...but a lot of the music was composed and far from being a jam session.

Artists who are considered to be Electronic such as Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream are part of the Krautrock movement as such they are sometimes categorized as Krautrock and further described in the genre as a style of music which combines Electronic Music and Rock..or sometimes Progressive Rock like Eloy ..together to form "Space Rock"...

In 1969 Pink Floyd were sounding more experimental than Psychedelic. British Psychedelic seemed to venture into that a bit more . I remember reading something a long time ago about Roger Waters and Ron Geesin being friends and listening to American Avant-garde and Electronic. Some of the artists I mentioned earlier and let's not forget Terry Riley. A Rainbow In Curved Air was rhythmically pulsating and hypnotic. It was highly influential to the Electronic Music community during that movement. Roger Waters seemed to be influenced by the early American Electronic composers...the ones who consulted with Bob Moog forming workshops, demonstrations of the synthesizer at important events, and forming organizations like Paul Beaver and Ruth White. I noticed the familiarity of Mort Garson's "Leave The Driving To Us" in Pink Floyd's "On The Run". I noticed that "Several Small Species Of Furry Animals " is obviously something Ron Geesin would do. Perhaps they were all borrowing ideas from each other...who knows?

I believe that Paul Beaver was a very important person to music..( generally speaking) in the sense that he changed it for a whole lot of serious musicians after he released a recording of 4 somewhat improvised pieces performed in Grace Cathedral. The idea that the sound of the instruments would vibrate and flow differently based on the acoustics of the Cathedral and this was like an experiment that actually influenced many instrumentalists that became legendary in later years. So I believe that Paul Beaver was an innovator because he invented new ways to play music and expand its sounds..and by doing so..having new inventive , creative styles .

Wendy Carlos was another very important person ..not only to the Electronic Music world, but creating new ways to approach composition. All her inventive ideas and concept albums were highly influential to music and pushed its boundaries beyond what people could imagine during that time. Her persistence to record a concept album on the four seasons, recording the sounds outdoors that were identified/attached by nature to each season..with a tape recorder..then somehow mixing out any hiss..and blending it with the music. Beaver & Krause had already tried this on In A Wild Sanctuary..but specifically for a 7 or 8 minute piece and certainly not a entire album like Sonic Seasonings. Wendy Carlos and Paul Beaver were highly influential regarding ideas they both brought forth that inspired musicians to change the structure of music as time progressed.

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - March 06 2022 at 20:10
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2022 at 23:21

As a teenager I put more value in the term "Space Rock". I felt that the idea for Space Rock originally derived from Sci-Fi themes in the early 60s. This style of guitar riffing originated in themes like "The Outer Limits", "The Twilight Zone", "Mission Impossible " etc..
Sorry for this brutal cut & paste-collage - but I don't see the point of reposting the whole text either. I'm not old enough to take part in this discussion, but I read all of your posts in this thread (and elsewhere, I think) with great interest. Both for the writing in itself and the content. Myself I sort of stumbled backwards into this whole prog-thing while searching for unconventional sounds/soundspaces. So I had already started collecting The Residents and Kraftwerk (plus artists such as Aphex Twin, Steve Reich, Gamelan-music, early music...) when Genesis was still just this band with the Spitting Image-video and that annoying I Can't Dance novelty-tune on MTV. I get the impression most seem to think that everyone's starting point is one of the four-five big 1970's UK-symphonic bands and from there we eventually warm up to Kraut, Kosmische, Electronic, Zeuhl...

-now I'll go back to being a lurker again:)
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2022 at 03:59

Thank you very much, Jacob, for this very extensive, informative, interesting and enjoyable to read post about the roots of Krautrock and Space Rock - that's something of a pearl, I hope many will read. Tongue

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2022 at 04:06
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I get the impression most seem to think that everyone's starting point is one of the four-five big 1970's UK-symphonic bands and from there we eventually warm up to Kraut, Kosmische, Electronic, Zeuhl...

I won't say that about me, Saperlipopette! Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2022 at 19:00
Being in my 60s...hearing Progressive Rock in the early 70s..I often got the impression that the gymnastic side to Prog dominated the overall view of the music. Which was a drag at concerts because people in the audience were there for a contest. This got overblown. To each his own is the simple logic..however it became ignorance to stamp that image in a person's mind about Prog.

As Frank Zappa said..." Progressive Rock is different from regular Rock" and that's true ..but it's Progressive in several areas of music ...not just gymnastics... Many songs by Yes and Genesis are written from the heart. Many musicians are not thinking about what they are playing. Many are not thinking about what they're going to play before they play it. If you want to believe that playing an instrument is more spiritual than that..your not far from the truth...and that's if you want to use the word spiritual for it can also be attributed to how the brain and the emotions of a musician may draw them inward to their instrument and further away from the people they are performing in front of.

It's a piece of music inspired by nature or a personal experience...maybe a dream...If it's required to play fast in certain sections it's usually because a kind of passage played very fast and intricate leads the listener into a beautiful melodic chord progression and melody. This is very common practice because it's logical. It's possible you could have heard that in Mozart's music and its conditioning .

There are several examples of recorded improvisation in Progressive Rock where someone in the band overplays. One example would be a guitar player begins playing a beautiful melodic improvisation and suddenly the pianist is playing 12 notes behind it and wiping it out....and what the piano player should have done was stay out of the guitar player's way by backing their solo with a few chords and waiting until it's their turn to solo. Why ? Because you're ruining the music!!! 😃 It's ignorant to play over somebody's solo, but it's also ignorant to spoil the music and the overall outcome of its spirituality because of someone's ego.

If it's written to sound cluttered or awkward than we're talking about a whole different animal which fits like a glove in Progressive music..for example...Frank Zappa. When you study music theory for years and you become accomplished..the theory or science of music becomes secondary or less important to the outcome of your composition. Particularly during improvisation when a accomplished musician wants to let loose and the last thing they want in their mind is theory. So many fantastic pieces of music were written underneath a tree or by the ocean and there was no manuscript paper or constant focus on which chord should follow the next. It all developed naturally through a gifted ear. Something felt but cannot be explained not unlike Gnosis. When a person is born with natural talent they often expand music in that way. Laura Nyro and Miles Davis changed the course of music by doing so. Their improvisation and writing came natural to them and to degrees music theory was a reference or a tool to guide them..but the innovative part to both of them was a creative art form they felt in their hearts or unexplainable emotions which they pursued out of love for music and the sometimes overwhelming desire to express what they felt..

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - March 08 2022 at 20:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2022 at 19:49
Theory is important to the composer because it's a method of mapping everything out that's being stored up in their noodle which can result in madness if you don't write it down...if you don't have it written so that you can easily utilize it for a reference. I realize that David Bedford wrote it out for musicians/vocalists but he probably had it all memorized in his head anyway because he wrote it. It's just a fact that this occurs with many composers

Ingram Marshall and John Adams....Univers Zero...it's vital for their music to be written out and followed perfectly...and it's beautiful music with colorful passages that lures you into a daydream.

Then there are musicians who started playing an instrument at age 7 that play Classical Music by ear, Jazz, Progressive Rock, Folk Music and they are intimidating to a lot of musicians around them because they don't know how to read a note of music. Think about it. This is a gift they are born with and people in the world often say that's rare..but after I got into the music business or joined the circus..I found that not to be true.

I recall working shows where the music was written out and there were several cases where a certain player in the band..( who had this gift more than the rest of us)..was intimidating to other skilled musicians in the band. The band leader would say..." Harry doesn't know how to read a note of music..yet he is playing it exactly the way I want it to be played and you are not!! " "Why would that be?"

A lot of band leaders and music professors over the years have taken notice of impeccable musicians with a trained sounding ear with the natural ability to memorize music quicker by ear than the musicians in the band reading it. Becoming more familiar with the piece than the others through hearing where everything belongs or where it falls in place after the second run through while the other players are still struggling with the music. Yes this is in fact amazing to see...but I've witnessed it all my life.

Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2022 at 20:12

It was next to impossible sharing that music experience with others and I think that can be attributed to the area I lived in. 

One thing I have come to realize and come to terms with is that no two people experience a piece of music the same regardless of external (or internal) factors. Every ones emotional experience of a piece of music is unique to them.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2022 at 08:29
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

It was next to impossible sharing that music experience with others and I think that can be attributed to the area I lived in. 

One thing I have come to realize and come to terms with is that no two people experience a piece of music the same regardless of external (or internal) factors. Every ones emotional experience of a piece of music is unique to them.

This is true..however in my situation I believe if I had been living in Berlin during that time that the German people would have understood what I saw in a band like Can or Amon Duul II more so than the people living in South Jersey. Probably most of Europe as well.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 07:26

After Syd Barrett left Pink Floyd ... several albums from Krautrock bands were released and I could hear that many of them pick up on the idea that Syd Barrett put to use. Not that they sounded completely like him...but just the essence of what he did with the Floyd turned up on Amon Duul Yeti, some sections of Can's music, early Guru Guru and obvious Electronic soundscapes on Tangerine Dream Atem that had similarities to Rick Wright on Ummagumma. 

Hi,

I think there are similarities, however, I am of the opinion that a lot of the "improvisation" that was found, was not quite designed or thought of ahead of time as much as we might think, otherwise, something like what you hear in TAGO MAGO would not quite be possible ... a total wide open improvisation taped for your ears, and you and I can not exactly find a lot of moments from it, that appeared in their music later, for example. The point of an improvisation is NOT to take the parts that sounded better, but to create a nice conversation between all the players, and make it stronger, and as such it did, for a while until Damo really could not write lyrics, or possibly decided that he did not want to write lyrics at all, which would take away from his experimenting, and any specific time.

The style of Electronic Music in Berlin 
Even though a lot of it was improvised ...it was also planned out. Popol Vuh's music contained improvisation...but a lot of the music was composed and far from being a jam session.

Only "planned out" as far as the opening idea, since when it came to synthesizers it would have been very easy to hit the wrong key or turn the wrong button and you have something else, specially at that time! I think many of them had a bit "prepared", but I wonder about this, when all the bootlegs from Tangerine Dream show that playing the known pieces did not happen in its entirety until ... probably 1975 or 1976, and this was the massive attraction of the bootlegs in those early days ... they were all different ... and as Edgar jokes in the book, we all had several cups of coffee and donuts waiting for Chris to wind up his machinery so they had what they were looking for!

Artists who are considered to be Electronic such as Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream are part of the Krautrock movement as such they are sometimes categorized as Krautrock and further described in the genre as a style of music which combines Electronic Music and Rock ... or sometimes Progressive Rock like Eloy ..together to form "Space Rock"...

I might like to have this clarified. TD and KS were only a part of "krautrock" in the sense that a lot of what they did was experimental and it went right from the start ... and in Klaus' case, it was different each and every time, since it was impossible to keep track of what he did and the quantity of equipment he had working around him. AND, he was his own mixer at the same time, which tells you something else, like he was aware of how many different threads he was running at the same time, and would make decisions on them as time went on in his pieces.

I don't think that TD and KS had a whole lot to do with "rock music" as such, and their style and abilities made a lot of "rock music" seem and sound right down elementary in its presentation.

In 1969 Pink Floyd were sounding more experimental than Psychedelic. 

I am of the opinion that this was done as a way to help integrate David into the band, and it worked magnificently as they even came up with new material that did very well later. DG does not have the humor or the color that a Syd had, specially in his literary moments, to be able to even come close to creating a song that would rival Syd's ability and design. I am of the opinion that a lot of the songs by Syd were actually played "literally" (instead of thinking of it as a song) to help interpret the lyrics better. And it worked beautifully. But DG never had this ability and was more of a musician, than an artist.

Roger Waters seemed to be influenced by the early American Electronic composers...the ones who consulted with Bob Moog forming workshops, demonstrations of the synthesizer at important events, and forming organizations like Paul Beaver and Ruth White. I noticed the familiarity of Mort Garson's "Leave The Driving To Us" in Pink Floyd's "On The Run". I noticed that "Several Small Species Of Furry Animals " is obviously something Ron Geesin would do. Perhaps they were all borrowing ideas from each other...who knows?

I think that what RW took from Ron Geesin, if anyone could say that, was that ideas could be colored in many ways, and RW seemed to like being able to take that much further. However, during the early days of DG and the PF shows, already they were goofing around with sound effects between songs, which I think were the moments that helped setup the synthesizers or various effects on stage for the next piece. EVENTUALLY, these became a "story", and it first shows up in DSOTM in a very raw form, somewhat confusing, and not entirely well defined or designed (but still sounded great!), that led much later to THE WALL which really was (basically) completely run by the effects that dictated the story, and in fact, now were the story. This was much better seen and appreciated in the early days of PF's QUADRAPHONIC SOUND concerts where everything went around you in the audience, where as by example the later version of the Wall had the girl start on the left and move to the right sound wise ... which was not as great as the original when you heard her almost off stage in the back coming in, and then cross over all the way to the "front area of the stage ... the image and strength of that sound and visual DEFINED what PF did and came from. WHICH could have been defined in a funny sort of way via Ron Geesin and his interpretation of sounds and effects. His solo albums are a lot of fun for how the effects and electronics were used, and Guy Guden even improved on these many times with his own humor!

There is a lot in this story that needs to be clarified, but RW and DG think that their "creativity" would be shown not to be important, or not quite "theirs", and to me ... this only stated that PF was going to lose all the visual elements in the music, and they did, later and in RW's solo albums where all of it is relying on the lyrics! While the music was great, I am not sure, or convinced that it was exemplary of his words or added to his words. One or two pieces sure, but not all of them. It became way too "topical" and not new for me. Specially when ANGE had already done "Emile Jacotey" 20 years earlier and it was much stronger emotionally, though we will say that we can relate to the events of "now" a lot better than we can events that are way older than that ... but should that take away the veracity and importance of that moment and decision to create that work? RW's is not half as good, but no one will listen to ANGE's incredible album!

Edited by moshkito - March 10 2022 at 07:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2022 at 09:05
That's interesting Moshkito! Thank you for your insight! ...and yes!! Emile Jacotey is a beautiful album.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2022 at 13:45
^Here here on Emile Jacotey!

Edited by Rednight - March 22 2022 at 13:45
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
jamessavik View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamessavik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2022 at 17:11
I 'm 59 so I'm close.

I jumped in deep ~75 discovering Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes and ELP. My older brother listened to Chicago. Ermm

Credit good record stores because our local radio only played c**try and whining muzak.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2022 at 07:21

That's interesting Moshkito! Thank you for your insight! ...and yes!! Emile Jacotey is a beautiful album.

Hi,

And a bit more, from my book on Improvisation, due (hopefully) by the end of the year.

The style of Electronic Music in Berlin 
Even though a lot of it was improvised ...it was also planned out. Popol Vuh's music contained improvisation...but a lot of the music was composed and far from being a jam session.

Being that so many of the folks in Berlin were in the music school, the idea of an "improvisation" will likely be more thought out and the folks specifically looking for something or other. When you compare this to Klaus Kinski (opening of Werner Herzog's film) and then Fitzcarraldo, and then Damo in TAGO MAGO, then you have a different school of work ... live and let live or die! Some works and some does not. Holger did state that TAGO MAGO came from 20 hours of stuff, which will suggest that only 10% (at best) made "the cut" into an album with something obviously more together than apart, which is always the toughest part of any kind of improvisation. Too many folks think that simply "following" someone is an improvisation, and that is the best and stupidest reason to even do an improvisation. It defeats the purpose of making an attempt at finding something new.

One of the suggestions about "improvisations" (same with meditations, btw) is the idea to RECORD them so you can choose the best parts ... and this is what many musicians do because they lack the trust in themselves to be able to learn even more ... you have to have a fine balance between recording and not recording, so that the MUSIC ITSELF glues itself to you and your body and instrument, and that is what the improvisations can do, that most musicians (specially in the past 40 years) are totally afraid to do ... and what about me? and what about my solo ... and you might as well kill the improvisation because that guy has nothing to learn from anything!

Here in this detail is where the advanced acting schools in Paris (The National Theater and Peter Brooks school)and London (RSC and NT) are so important and valuable. They are out to discover communication avenues that we did not know existed. Actually we did, but thought of them as psychic this or bullpucky that ...  and in the end, it adds depth and understanding to the work, something that most rock musicians ignore and figure that the lyrics will do it for them, not realizing that the music itself, without the lyrics won't even come close to what they thought! That's not "talent" ... that's silliness, and rock'n'roll!

It's hard to believe that the music school folks did free form improvisations, after all CAN's folks were all schooled very high, and they took someone out of the streets and he made it work ... and a lot of the ideas and concepts in those schools was ... get away from the Western Music Concepts, and this gave way to the krockrock stuff. 

But there are other things to look at. 

Example 1: Drum Circles with anyone joining in. Amon Duul 1'c commune. By the time AD2 was formed, and they put together their 1st album (Phallus Dei), one thing was obvious ... the commune was an excuse to pick up girls and get laid! And the album celebrates that in its parts of the title piece ... you get stone, and it gets louder and then it gets weird and you rock out, or guck the rest of the night stoned senseless in the party! It's difficult to not see that obvious connection, although they won't say much, but some of the stories about those days and communes are all about the women being the fun of the parties for all the men. And that would even suggest that Renate was involved, and may not exactly have been a willing participant, but if you were there you did not have a choice!

Example 2: Mostly in film, although theater has some examples. Peter Handke had several "word plays" that had no plot or line that made sense. It was a true 52 pick up of cards, but in this case 10,000 words anywhere anytime, and the hard part, very difficult was to get around the "tendency" of actors to create a "personality", instead of letting go. This would be on par with the long pieces in TAGO MAGO, and a lot of things in Fassbinder and Herzog films, where dialogue is wide open, and not always clear, but it works, and at the very least, Herzog could tell when the crazy was "on" and kept on shooting regardless to make sure he got it. Fassbinder, a lot of times has long pauses, which suggest the idea that dialogue is not quite clear. This, more than likely, led to a lot of the "krockrock" having strange, and weird lyrics, mostly visible by Amon Duul 2 in DANCE OF THE LEMMINGS, CARNIVAL IN BABYLON and VIVE LA TRANCE. And even CAN, which ended up doing an album of total fun lyrics in LANDED, where they closed the book on that era.

Example 3: TD. Tangerine Dream ended their excursions and explorations with the instruments during and after ATEM. Their music from then on, was composed with the idea/context of making sure it came together and developed properly, and ended likewise, as if it were a symphony. And they did this for the whole of Edgar's Life. I don't think it was "composed" unless you consider AGES and Edgar's first album, which were quite obviously explorations that he was able to take that sound and create something with it, which helped define the synthesizer use for many folks. It is possible and likely that Edgar wanted to "flow" with a sound he found and then develop it further into something else. Mysterious Semblance is a perfect example. BUT, you have to take the work further than what you think is possible, and here most musicians crap out. Actors can continue, but will be slow during these moments. Writers? Easy ... you go into a character's mind!

Example 4: KS. Klaus design right from the start was ABOUT THE SOUND. The main difference from his early days to anyone else, was that he did his own mixing and used it on stage, and he would start up 3, 4, 5 or 6 things and involve them together and then slowly bring them apart and out when the piece had reached a certain point that needed to "come home". He could not, in essence, be "composed" other than the idea ... ohh I want to use that sound that he found, as another track on his piece, and this is all very clear in ALL of the DVD's of Klaus music ... none of them sound close to the real albums, which tells you that he was not afraid to play and create something different, even if he could come up with something close to what was in the album. It's even more difficult to think of him as "composed" when he did so many explorations and collaborations totally free form (Works series) and then even with Manuel, Rainer, and Tiepold. AND they were recorded, which tells you that his "fear" of these things is NONE< and he can adjust all day long, and he shows his quality and versatility with Lisa in the series of concerts. There is no other musician/composer on his level when it comes to fearless improvisation and reaction to the details in his work ... something that 99 out of 100 musicians won't even explore for 10 seconds.

Edited by moshkito - April 06 2022 at 07:28
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2022 at 21:29
For many years I was obsessed with Electronic Music in America. For a number of years Electronic Music revolved around experimentation and more known to folks as "White Noise "

When Electronic artists in the U.S. began using more rhythm and melody it struck a chord in me and I became fascinated with it. My favorite albums by Wendy Carlos were Switched On Bach and Sonic Seasonings. Mort Garson- Black Mass and The Unexplained, Ruth White- 7 Trumps Of The Tarot And The Pinions, Beaver And Krause- In A Wild Sanctuary and Gandharva.

This was an interesting time period for Electronic Music and the synthesizer because it took on a role to play melody , dark themes, and pre ambient soundscapes. I was captivated by the reality that Electronic Music began to revolve around concept albums.

Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, and Ash Ra Tempel were getting the same results , but with a different style than the aforementioned in the U.S....however In A Wild Sanctuary came close to sounding like Berlin School Electronic in the sense that it featured sound effects and tape recorded voices.

In the 80s I began collecting many albums on the Celestial Harmonies label. Peter Michael Hammel left a huge impression on me. I deeper interest grew for Avant-garde..for example..string quartet with electronics...Pauline Oliveros, Stephen Wolpe, George Crumb, John Adams, Ingram Marshall, John Cage, Bella Bartok, Edgar Varese...and I invested in Modern Chamber Music along with several bands from the R.I.O. movement. Although it probably wasn't an actual movement.

During this time period in my life I was traveling with Rock bands , but not listening to Rock Music at all. As a teenager I had listened to American Blues like Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, and Robert Johnson. I liked Mike Bloomfield and Shuggie Otis. I had collected albums by Savoy Brown, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Long John Baldry, Savoy Brown, Ten Years After, and Free.

When I became obsessed with Electronic Music and Avant-garde I left Rock Music behind and didn't return to it until years later. During that transition I rediscovered the Avant-garde side to Miles Davis and Frank Zappa. I was waking up every morning and playing Terry Riley A Rainbow In Curved Air. Unfortunately many musicians around me couldn't relate to this and I was an outcast in their minds.

They could easily accept Weather Report or Miles Davis, however they couldn't quite grasp how Terry Riley 's Music would appeal to me or anyone for that matter and it was a rare experience for me to meet someone interested in Electronic Music in those years. Harry Partch was usually a style that could clear a room. I recall attending a concert of Avant-garde string quartet by candlelight at Laurel Mansion or Renaissance Music at Glencarin Castle. ..or the Renaissance Fayre..short of that...it always felt as if a small group of people generally followed that kind of music.

If I wanted to see and hear traditional African Music played I had to search high and low for a festival that would feature that music as part of an event. Maybe it was in fact rare to see such a performance in the Eastern U.S. and more common to occur in the Western U.S. That I do not know. All I know is that I traveled up and down the East coast of the U.S in the 70s and 80s and that the music I personally loved felt quite obsolete and was not generally appealing to a Rock audience nor was it frequently on a best list for fans of Progressive Rock. More like a "pay no mind list" 😃

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - April 17 2022 at 21:34
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 00:40

Theory is important to the composer because it's a method of mapping everything out that's being stored up in their noodle which can result in madness if you don't write it down...

The band leader would say..." Harry doesn't know how to read a note of music ... yet he is playing it exactly the way I want it to be played and you are not!! " "Why would that be?"

Hi,

Not everyone has an "idea" of what they want to do. There are many that love to fly when it hits them, and it's really difficult to think that a Stravinsky, or a Picasso, actually thought about what they did ... perhaps the "HOW" when they were putting it together to illustrate their thoughts, but in general, that is momentary and does not quite carry a lot further.

In general, a lot of the 20th century material was not so much about "thinking" as it was about "doing" and one could very easily see that in the jazz circles, specially in the 60's ... it was all over the place, but the individuality, suggested a lot more of the lack of "ideas" and a lot more about travelling through them as they came by your imagination. 

A lot of theater, and film, at the time were like that, and when we look at the "start" of what we call krautsomething or other, in the end, it was the IMPROVISATIONS that helped define them, and a lot of times, there was no rhyme or reason for a lot of it, and this can be seen in TAGO MAGO, and in acting watching Klaus Kinski, and then slightly later hearing Damo, who was never inclined to "lyrics" at all, and merely wanted the sounds and the expressions to live on their own. And a lot of this is NOT thought about.

I suppose that we could suggest that adding the intuitive side of things to the mental side of things is a good marriage, except that for FANS, this is a serious problem, because many folks can not handle the intuitive side of things, and even how Peter Hammill interprets his own words, complete with full frontal acting style.

I think of all this as the greatest gift of that time and place ... something that today's music and fans las lost a lot, and would like to see it added some more, instead of extending the guitar solo through more scales ...and this brings up the person playing that did not read music ... and Syd Barrett is probably the best example, according to Robert Wyatt when he told a friend i a recording session with Syd for a solo album ... "he doesn't know the chords ... he just plays" ... and for me what does it say? He plays by the sound of things and he finds other sounds that match and add to it ... and this worked with the early PF folks helping, but when he was sent off, or went off on his own, this thought and idea died ... for his solo albums, folks wanted to make "songs" ... not tell stories as Syd had done before!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 11:18
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Theory is important to the composer because it's a method of mapping everything out that's being stored up in their noodle which can result in madness if you don't write it down...

The band leader would say..." Harry doesn't know how to read a note of music ... yet he is playing it exactly the way I want it to be played and you are not!! " "Why would that be?"

Hi,

Not everyone has an "idea" of what they want to do. There are many that love to fly when it hits them, and it's really difficult to think that a Stravinsky, or a Picasso, actually thought about what they did ... perhaps the "HOW" when they were putting it together to illustrate their thoughts, but in general, that is momentary and does not quite carry a lot further.

In general, a lot of the 20th century material was not so much about "thinking" as it was about "doing" and one could very easily see that in the jazz circles, specially in the 60's ... it was all over the place, but the individuality, suggested a lot more of the lack of "ideas" and a lot more about travelling through them as they came by your imagination. 

A lot of theater, and film, at the time were like that, and when we look at the "start" of what we call krautsomething or other, in the end, it was the IMPROVISATIONS that helped define them, and a lot of times, there was no rhyme or reason for a lot of it, and this can be seen in TAGO MAGO, and in acting watching Klaus Kinski, and then slightly later hearing Damo, who was never inclined to "lyrics" at all, and merely wanted the sounds and the expressions to live on their own. And a lot of this is NOT thought about.

I suppose that we could suggest that adding the intuitive side of things to the mental side of things is a good marriage, except that for FANS, this is a serious problem, because many folks can not handle the intuitive side of things, and even how Peter Hammill interprets his own words, complete with full frontal acting style.

I think of all this as the greatest gift of that time and place ... something that today's music and fans las lost a lot, and would like to see it added some more, instead of extending the guitar solo through more scales ...and this brings up the person playing that did not read music ... and Syd Barrett is probably the best example, according to Robert Wyatt when he told a friend i a recording session with Syd for a solo album ... "he doesn't know the chords ... he just plays" ... and for me what does it say? He plays by the sound of things and he finds other sounds that match and add to it ... and this worked with the early PF folks helping, but when he was sent off, or went off on his own, this thought and idea died ... for his solo albums, folks wanted to make "songs" ... not tell stories as Syd had done before!

Interesting read!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 12:27
Music was escapism for me in my youth. I wanted to be diverse enough on guitar to be accepted by professional road bands by age 18. I wanted to leave Vineland N.J. because it was infested with cults and a high pressured drug culture along with authorities in a rage to bust every kid they possibly could for Marijuana beginning with the Nixon drug war campaign. That changed everything.

I remember being called into the office at school and being interrogated. Many kids who didn't take drugs were interrogated. It was ridiculous. In the office I was surrounded by a principal, a security guard, a counselor, and a clergyman. It was brought to my attention that I had dark circles under my eyes. Of course it couldn't have been because I had the worst sinus condition in the high school. No it couldn't have been that.

No...it had to be all about their drug war. I was 15 years old and really pissed off by these people. Especially because I had to suffer with this condition not them...and they're accusing me of taking illegal drugs.

Then they tried to steer me in the clergyman's direction and suggest that I substitute my drug habit with religion. I said: "You do teach Science here in the school so why are you telling me to believe in fables? The clergyman said: The direction you're going in is evil . Drugs and Rock Music are from Satan.

I said: So I should believe in a fable just because you say so? That's delusional. First you're trying to get me off drugs and now you're trying to convince me of something that has no scientific evidence? Why would it be dangerous not to believe? That's not dangerous...that's called reasoning.

They suspended me so on my way out I said.."Look..it's not my problem that your school is loaded with drug addicts and your town is infested with cults"

"Don't take it out on me because you can't control your town " So they suspended me for my disrespectful remarks. In the end...this was the reason why I hated the music business. Drugs and sex were tied into the business and were very controlling.
All for a cause to gain selfish power. That's why I turned away years ago and remain a recluse. ...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2022 at 15:00
In the 70s it was quite overwhelming for me to go from practicing in a room for hours to playing in front of hundreds of kids. All the Rock Clubs I played were designed like Concert Halls. Regardless if you were an original band or a cover band you were booked to play there. If you had a talented group of individuals in your band and you rehearsed and were a tight unit, you could call a booking agent. The agent would come to your house. If he liked you...within a week's time you would begin playing 6 nights a week in the tri state area and only having Sunday off or better yet...travel up and down the eastern U.S on a tour bus.

Unlike today..a booking agent will never come to your house let alone return an email. Bar bands took over. Club owners of these huge concert halls I used to play in the 70s and 80s sold their business..they bailed out...they were wiped out!! Bar owners then proposition the bands to play their establishment. They paid horribly...65 dollars per member for a 1 nighter or you were lucky if it was a hundred. People in charge of these bands had to pay the band members out of their own pocket..it was a low rent situation.

No diversity for the bands. Everything was suddenly restricted to a handpicked song list. In the 70s ..when I DID play in cover bands they covered material by Earth, Wind & Fire, Chicago, Steely Dan, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Yes, Rush, Weather Report, Jeff Beck...6 nights a week...and people generally accepted Progressive music during this time.

When bars took over they began to hire amateur bands that the crowd didn't seem to mind. Everything died. The reality that you could form a band, rehearse, audition once and start playing 6nights a week was a beautiful one. Each of us made 5 hundred a week. We could split studio cost for a demo. The Business was so booming you didn't have time for a day job. In the early 80s I was making a grand a week traveling. Not that money was particularly important to me..but it's just an observation how the music business changed on the East coast of the U.S.

I lost a few band mates I rode the bus with when they took their own lives. My friend Gary died on the bus from a intentional overdose of sleeping pills. One day we're on the bus talking and laughing. I wake up the next morning and he's dead.

I was in the Rock band Candy. It was original and the singers name was Candy. We all became like family looking over each other's well being as we traveled on a bus. Candy used to share her depression with me. I was often able to shake her free and bring her happiness. One night at the Holiday Inn she overdosed on barbiturates. She would usually talk with me if she felt down. This time she didn't. They carried her out on a stretcher and I stood in the rain feeling consumed with guilt.

I had some very negative experiences or tragic..but the music business was so much better in the 70s. You had chances..opportunities to produce artistic Rock music and be placed on the national circuit through promoters.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>