Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite fusion guitarist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Who is your favourite fusion guitarist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.15%]
9 [9.68%]
2 [2.15%]
2 [2.15%]
2 [2.15%]
4 [4.30%]
1 [1.08%]
5 [5.38%]
0 [0.00%]
18 [19.35%]
1 [1.08%]
0 [0.00%]
19 [20.43%]
15 [16.13%]
4 [4.30%]
1 [1.08%]
1 [1.08%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.08%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [6.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 21:22
The usual suspects for me:

McLaughlin, di Meola, Goodsall, Holdsworth

mainly for their work in their respective bands.

Love Holdsworth - Bruford 'One of a Kind', 'Blues for Tony' and specially Gazeuse!
McLaughlin, all of Mahavishnu
Di Meola with RTF, and Goodsall with Brand X
Abercrombie I know less, but love 'Ralph's Piano Waltz' song.

This made me think of one of my favorite fusion albums, Cosmic Messenger, and think I really like the guitar work there.. I believed it was Jamie Glaser on that record, who I saw live in 2013 with Jean Luc Ponty's 'The Atlantic Years' tour to my delight! (ah.. something priceless to see the best jazz fusion recreated right from the 70's...), but it turned out he wasn't! and was Joaquin Lievano.

Don't know if you've seen this vid but since some of Paco de Lucía other works were mentioned, I thought it does no harm to post this one here.

"Caña de Azúcar"

cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 04:48
Holdsworth all the way... but shouldn't Phil Miller be on here?
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 09:54
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Pat Metheny (awesome) and Al Di Meola.  I do think Paco De Lucia should be mentioned - he did great fusion work with John McLaughlin and Di Meola  - this is fusion - not jazz rock. Frank Zappa was a quite good fusion guitarist. His Hot Rats helped the fusion sub sub sub genre very much.

Paco de Lucia was on a different level to any guitarist I've seen. The Friday Night in San Francisco album is just breathtaking. Whilst Di Meola and McLaughlin play brilliantly, the effortless genius of de Lucia steals the show. whether you'd class him as a fusion guitarist, I don't know, but he was incomparable as a flamenco player.

I felt the same "effortless" coming from McLaughlin in those concerts, whereas Al Di seemed to be working so hard. John and Paco had this "spirit flowing through me" auras about them. Same in the Trio when it was Coryell was the third. I LOVE Larry Coryell--the man could express emotion so well--but he still felt "human" while McLaughlin and De Lucia felt "super-human."
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 10:02
Just curious: does anyone know of any vids with Holdsworth playing acoustic guitar?
Drew Fisher
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2020 at 10:04
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Just curious: does anyone know of any vids with Holdsworth playing acoustic guitar?

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 17:15
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Thank you! This is awesome! Reminds me of Larry Coryell playing an Astor Piazzollo song!
Drew Fisher
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 14:56
Dead heat for me between Holdsworth and Mclaughlin. I prefer Mclaughlin's output but I have (over time) started to prefer Holdsworth's playing.
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123