Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rush appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262728
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2023 at 10:10
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I think it will be very reminiscent of Geddy's solo album, maybe yacht rock LOL.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 11:30
So what do you guys think is the most underrated or underappreciated Rush album? I would say either Presto, Hold Your Fire or Test For Echo. I could say Roll the Bones but that one actually went platinum (as did Fly by Night).
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 11:50
^Caress of Steel usually is viewed unfavorably. I think it's a great album.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 11:51
I'm not much of a Rush fan (like some music but not a fan really), but I have loved Caress of Steel. Maybe something to do with me not counting myself as a Rush fan. "I Think I'm Going Bald" is a pretty unappreciated song (over or under I won't get into).

Edited by Logan - April 26 2024 at 11:55
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 12:24
"I think I'm going bald" is almost like the Rush equivalent of "Harold the Barrell" or "Get em out by Friday." It's a song that you can't really take too seriously even if it's not overtly comical like those Genesis songs. I suppose some people think "don't kill the whale" is kind of a dumb song too.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 14:32
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^Caress of Steel usually is viewed unfavorably. I think it's a great album.

CoS is definitely underrated and underappreciated. Not by me of course though. Big smile
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 16:54
Under appreciated by the masses to me would be Presto. All the songs hold their own, but none are mega standout songs. I saw that tour back in like '90 in Maryland, the setlist during that era was kinda strange as the Presto songs did not marry up well with Hemispheres or AFTK.......It was the era where people were getting into Rush but because of Signals not because of CoS or 2112.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 21:38

Under appreciated by the masses to me would be Presto. All the songs hold their own, but none are mega standout songs. I saw that tour back in like '90 in Maryland, the setlist during that era was kinda strange as the Presto songs did not marry up well with Hemispheres or AFTK.......It was the era where people were getting into Rush but because of Signals not because of CoS or 2112.

Things change over time and now because of the internet people get into bands through albums that they probably wouldn't have in the 80s or 90s. I would say these days most people are getting into Rush through Moving Pictures (and Yes through CTTE but this is a Rush thread Tongue).
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 11:24

I think "Show Don't Tell" is a standout and better than anything on Roll the Bones. It got substantial airplay till "The Pass" was released as a single. The Presto songs all sounded much better live (I saw them in Los Angeles and San Diego on that tour), especially "Show Don't Tell"! One of my favorite basslines by Geddy, too.

This clip is excellent but is disabled for playback on other sites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J41AXq3-Mc0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262728