Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rush appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 28>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 04:50
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^If they had continued in same kind of albums as "Hemispheres", I don´t believe they would have become as successful. "Permanent Waves" went into more pop direction, there really is something same as "the Police". So Rush did same thing as Genesis, Jethro Tull, Yes and Pink Floyd (in the Gilmour revival), those all become more part of the eighties sound. Although I think Moving Pictures & Signals are better albums than those other bands eighties albums (Jethro´s A is also quite good, eighties sounding progalbum), King Crimson was the only prog band that could modernize it sound with dignity. But I am not saying all those bands albums that I mentioned were totally bad.

Of all the 70's prog bands Rush were the only one who went into the 80's with any dignity and without loss of integrity IMO. Permanent Waves to GUP was a run of albums which far exceeded anything by Yes, Floyd, Tull, KC or Genesis in terms of quality, for that era, IMO.
So what´s you´re opinion about KC eighties albums? They´re really not my big favourites, but I think they´re only eighties progband albums without any or really little AOR-quality (well maybe there is some in Three of a Perfect). Of course there isn´t lots of AOR in Moving Pictures, but anyway "Limelight" & "the Camera Eye" & "Vital Signs" are sounding what´s coming next specially after "Signals".

I like 80's KC, but those three albums are not a patch on their 70's efforts IMO, whereas early 80's Rush albums hold up well against their 70's albums, and are better than the 'chapter 1' albums, in terms of musicianship, maturity of song writing and originality.
Well, to me "Rush-ship" started to sink straight after Hemispheres. Permanent & Moving are not bad albums, but they have same taste as many other prog bands those times, like they are headed just for "adults". Although I am not also big fan of those eighties KC-albums, they still sound much fresher & more interesting to me than any other old progband albums at same time. KC kind of "slough" itself, it´s sounding almost different band. What I try to say is that although they´re not my big faves, I really respect them. I think Jethro also succeeded same way in "A", but after that they also started sound "updated" progband.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 05:18
Back on topic folks. This is a Rush thread.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 08:36
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

So lot's of mixed signals about whether or not they were played on the radio before 1980(or at least how much). I guess maybe it depends on where you lived? Not sure but check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J3IBhYGohQ

Edit: Ok, I see they were referring to Canada which is kind of strange considering they were from Canada. I wouldn't expect them to have less airplay in their home country than in the US but I guess that's how it was.

Well I am certain they were on the radio well before 1980. I grew up in SoCal and listening to KMET which was a huge player of prog and lesser known bands. SoCal was a radio market large enough to support Rush, Genesis and the like that was not common hard rock like Aerosmith, LZ, Journey.....So I think the city you might have been in could be a reason.
My family moved to New Orleans in 1980 and an eventual friend in my new neighborhood had all Rush albums on LP and cassette. Rush was pretty big in NO.......they were on the radio there too early on.

I've seen that YT before, but heck in the course of their career I still don't think they got massive airplay

By their own admission they didn't get massive airplay in the U.S. However, I'm sure the amount of airplay they did get was a regional thing. In the 80s here in CT, the only time they got significant airplay was when a new album was released (and then not even a ton of airplay) and when they had a tour date in the state. At most other times, airplay on local radio was very spotty. That's going by memory or course. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 10:34
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

So lot's of mixed signals about whether or not they were played on the radio before 1980(or at least how much). I guess maybe it depends on where you lived? Not sure but check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J3IBhYGohQ

Edit: Ok, I see they were referring to Canada which is kind of strange considering they were from Canada. I wouldn't expect them to have less airplay in their home country than in the US but I guess that's how it was.

Well I am certain they were on the radio well before 1980. I grew up in SoCal and listening to KMET which was a huge player of prog and lesser known bands. SoCal was a radio market large enough to support Rush, Genesis and the like that was not common hard rock like Aerosmith, LZ, Journey.....So I think the city you might have been in could be a reason.
My family moved to New Orleans in 1980 and an eventual friend in my new neighborhood had all Rush albums on LP and cassette. Rush was pretty big in NO.......they were on the radio there too early on.

I've seen that YT before, but heck in the course of their career I still don't think they got massive airplay

By their own admission they didn't get massive airplay in the U.S. However, I'm sure the amount of airplay they did get was a regional thing. In the 80s here in CT, the only time they got significant airplay was when a new album was released (and then not even a ton of airplay) and when they had a tour date in the state. At most other times, airplay on local radio was very spotty. That's going by memory or course. 

Airplay doesn't always equal success though. Metallica, Iron Maiden, NIN, and Tool all seemed to have sold a lot of albums before they got much airplay(especailly with IM and Metallica). It seems to be mostly a thing with metal and hard rock bands though. I don't think Black Sabbath were played much on the radio either(at least in the 70's and 80's). As for Rush I am a bit too young to say about the early days but I certainly heard them on the radio after signals(first by them I bought on cassette). But I am from the northeastern US and so things might have different elsewhere.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 23:39
I thought Power Windows was a great album song wise although a bit 'plastic' sounding. Hold Your Fire and Presto are my least favourite Rush albums until they got back on track with Roll The Bones. The synths were fast disappearing and the hard rock style returned.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 01:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I thought Power Windows was a great album song wise although a bit 'plastic' sounding. Hold Your Fire and Presto are my least favourite Rush albums until they got back on track with Roll The Bones. The synths were fast disappearing and the hard rock style returned.
I lost my interest totally in Roll the Bones. Presto & Power Windows are OK albums, Hold Your Fire really mediocre.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 06:40

I lost my interest totally in Roll the Bones. Presto & Power Windows are OK albums, Hold Your Fire really mediocre.

Roll The Bones, with the exception of Dreamline and a couple others, puts me to sleep. Might be my least favorite Rush album. Side two in particular is mostly a big snoozer. 

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 06:49
I don't know why but I rarely listen to the post Test for Echo albums. I don't know why, they're not bad at all.

Edited by Cristi - January 28 2020 at 09:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 07:14
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I don't know why but the post Test for Echo albums that I rarely listen to. I don't know why, they're not bad at all.

They are the ones I am the least familiar with(especially vapor trails)which is why I have been listening to them lately.
flyingveepixie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 08:07
1974-75 : I used to go back to a friends house most days after school and we would listen to the first Rush album and marvel at Alex's guitar work.  I forgot about them for a year or two after that until one day in 1976 when I was scratching around in the "Listen" record shop at the bottom of Renfield Street in Glasgow looking for an album to buy.  Who should walk in to the shop but that same friend who I had lost touch with as I had moved away after leaving school,  and he recommended I should buy All The Worlds a Stage, which I did.  That was it - I was hooked and couldn't stop listening to it. 

Then came the Farewell to Kings tour : 12th June 1977 at Glasgow Apollo, where Xanadu was first aired live as a track from the forthcoming album and which is still seared into my memories 43 years later.  Those double necks and the Taurus Bass Pedals..!!  I remember the caption on the back of the tour programme from that show which read  - "Rush : They must have been one hell of a band"

The following year saw them do 2 nights at the Apollo in February and I was there again.  I remember Alex's sound wasn't so great that time, and I was such a daft 17 year old kid that I rang up the Albany Hotel at around 5.30pm on the second night before running out to catch the bus in to town to mention it to him.  I didn't expect to be put through, but bloody hell - suddenly there he was on the other end of the phone line waiting for me to say something, so I came straight out with it.  Alex told me that Apparently they had been having some issues with some transformers they were having to use to step up the voltage as all their amps were configured to US voltage which is 110V whereas in the UK we used 230V and it was this which was causing the problem with the sound.  I don't know if that was actually the case or not, but it's what he told me and it sounded plausible enough....

After that I continued to attend every show Rush played at Glasgow Apollo until 1982,  and can proudly state that I am a fully fledged member of the Glasgow Apollo "Choir" on the live version of Closer to the Heart on Exit Stage Left.

As far as I'm concerned the best time for Rush was the 1970s and 80s up to and including Hold your Fire.  After that I thought they kind of went a bit flat.  I saw them in 1987 in a big barn-like arena made of concrete and steel, and the sound was totally sh*te, and same again in 2007 in a similar big arena where the sound was again totally sh*te.  I don't know why any self respecting bands even consider such venues where the sound is always so poor but there you go....    Anyway, that was the last time I saw them and I can only offer humble thanks and the greatest appreciation for all that they gave me over the years both in terms of listening and watching enjoyment,  and their collective influence on my own playing technique.

RIP Neil. You will be sorely missed.

Edited by flyingveepixie - January 28 2020 at 13:09
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 08:34

I don't know why but I rarely listen to the post test for Echo albums. I don't know why, they're not bad at all.

I'm in the same place as you. You're right, they're not bad but I'm not sure how good they are overall. Certainly, there are standout tracks but I wish those albums had a more varied sound. There is a sameness to the songs. I find that when I get the urge to listen to one of those, I spin it once and then I'm good for years before I need to hear it again. For me, that's pretty telling.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 12:44
After MP...no rush track over 7 mins? The smoking gun? A bit like Duke with genesis...Rush made an abysmal effort after MP...and I lost all interest in them to concentrate on prog bands who were still giving me what I wanted...not synth based pop!

Edited by M27Barney - January 28 2020 at 12:45
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 13:24
I only saw them live twice. The first time in 1980 on the PeW tour at the Manchester Apollo when I was 16, the second time on the Clockwork Angels tour in 2013 at the Manchester Arena. I loved Rush up to Power Windows and I really didn't like the poppy nature of the songs and missed the long pieces. I did buy HYF, but I got half way through Force Ten and sacked it off. I still have that vinyl and only played it  through fully a few weeks ago. I returned to Rush when CA came out and revisited all the albums I'd missed from HYF. My highlight from that lot is Vapor Trails - I know a lot of Rush fans dislike that album (the lack of guitar solos maybe the reason), but I love it, notably Secret Touch, which is one of my favourite Rush songs. Of course I own all the vinyl up to HYF, but have since bought' Sectors 1, 2 and 3 and have all the concerts on Blu-ray (at least 2 of each due to the R40 boxset), as well as other DVDs (even ESL on VHS somewhere lol)
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:36
The 80's stuff didn't bother me. I actually like a lot of it. I was not a fan of the last three studio albums.  From vapor Trails on the production seemed to get very crunchy & muddy.( Grungy maybe?)  On the older albums there was always clear definition between the instruments, even on the heavy songs like Xanadu,2112 , La Villa Strangiato... They changed something on the last three albums & it just didn't work for me, not sure why.  
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:39
^ Argo. If your house was on fire and you could only save five rush cd's from the blaze...bet none of them would be from the 80's or later...
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 14:45
^ Well if you count Moving Picture & Permanent waves as 80's ( both released in 1980) you would be wrong.
Also, even though Power Windows is considered one of their more pop albums I like it a lot. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 15:29
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

^ Well if you count Moving Picture & Permanent waves as 80's ( both released in 1980) you would be wrong.
Also, even though Power Windows is considered one of their more pop albums I like it a lot. 

Moving Pictures was released in 1981.

I also love Power Windows. Big smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 23:54
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

^ Argo. If your house was on fire and you could only save five rush cd's from the blaze...bet none of them would be from the 80's or later...

that's a completely ridiculous hypothetical situation
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 05:46

I don't know why but the post Test for Echo albums that I rarely listen to. I don't know why, they're not bad at all.

They are the ones I am the least familiar with(especially vapor trails)which is why I have been listening to them lately.

I'd say clockwork angels is better than TFE. S&A is about the same though.My personal favorite Rush albums are in the 70's and 80's though. They lost a certain magic after Hold your fire imo. That album in fact is very underrated imo. I'll admit part of is because I'm a synth/keyboard guy and synths didn't really appear all that much after HYF.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 06:55

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

that's a completely ridiculous hypothetical situation

If aliens landed and started slaughtering the populace and even though that was happening you still wanted to introduce them to the majesty that is Rush which five albums would you play for them, or try to play for them while dodging laser fire?

Edited by Jeffro - January 29 2020 at 11:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 28>