Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Rush appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djcox2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2022 at 23:56
Thanks for the great pic of pre-Rush, never saw those before... Seriously I respect the debut album of 1974, Rush, but that was not Rush...  Rush is after Neil, no disrespect, just my opinion.  I was a kid in Michigan in high school in 1977, first heard 2112, I was hooked.  Listened to that a million times and decided to purchase COS, it was rougher took some time, but I eventually loved it.  Today, Fountain of Lamneth is one of my go to Rush tunes.  Listen to it all the time when I'm by myself, like on walks with dog, wife doesn't exactly love it.  "No one at the bridge", IMHO no better song ever written by any group.  I've saw them live roughly 40 times, almost every tour with the exception of HOF, didn't get into that album (but I still bought it) :)  Started out in West Michigan, then Chicago, Milwaukee, then down in Dallas, TX where I've lived for the last 40 years.  My favorite period would be from COS thru Hemispheres, but love them all (especially PW/MP)...  Moving forward, what a great album Clockwork Angels was, reverting back a little, saw them twice that tour, Dallas (the DVD show), and later the next year in G.R. MI.  That was a perfect ending for me, saw them in my start/ending locations.  Also saw them in the R40 tour, great show...    
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 07:49
I don't see any pics of "pre Rush" on here so I'm not sure what you are talking about. 

I disagree about the first album not being Rush. Most of the songs on FBN don't really sound that different than the debut (imo) so maybe CoS was their first. Then you could make the argument they weren't really firing on all cylinders until 2112 so maybe that was their first real album in much the same way people say TYA was the first Yes album. For me the debut was still pure Rush. John Rutsey was their from the beginning and they played as a band for six years before Neil joined. But if someone wants to think Rush was not Rush until Neil joined fine. You can say before that they were Hadrian (one of the bands some members were in early on). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 01 2022 at 07:53
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 09:51
Originally posted by djcox2112 djcox2112 wrote:

"No one at the bridge", IMHO no better song ever written by any group.
Tis a great song. Every time I hear it, it gives me goosebumps and brings back treasured memories of my teenage years.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 10:14
Just an anecdote: I once met a guy who used to ask people if they were 'space' or 'post space' Rush fans. Not having the slightest idea of what he was on about, I asked him for an explanation. He said 'space' Rush fans were old fans who liked Rush before Geddy had the space between his front top teeth filled in. You can only get this stuff from Rush fans.

Edited by SteveG - July 01 2022 at 10:15
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 10:29
Out of the list of All-Time Top 10 Progressive Rock Bands, Rush are the only band who I still haven't gotten around to listening to all of their albums, although I'm in no Rush. Big smile

1. Genesis (821 points)
2. Yes (712 points)
3. King Crimson (683 points)
4. Pink Floyd (672 points)
5. Rush (379 points)
6. Emerson, Lake & Palmer (333 points)
7. Van der Graaf Generator (304 points)
8. Jethro Tull (261 points)
9. Gentle Giant (248 points)
10. Marillion (232 points)
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 11:28

Thanks for the great pic of pre-Rush, never saw those before... Seriously I respect the debut album of 1974, Rush, but that was not Rush...  Rush is after Neil, no disrespect, just my opinion.   

Oh, come on. There are plenty of bands who sounded different on their first or early albums. Ever listen to the first Scorpions album, Lonesome Crow? Ever listen to pre-Steve Perry Journey? How about From Genesis to Revelation by Genesis?

The first album is still undeniably Rush, just different than what they would become.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 12:24
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Just an anecdote: I once met a guy who used to ask people if they were 'space' or 'post space' Rush fans. Not having the slightest idea of what he was on about, I asked him for an explanation. He said 'space' Rush fans were old fans who liked Rush before Geddy had the space between his front top teeth filled in. You can only get this stuff from Rush fans.

And when did Geddy get the space filled in? 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 12:36
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

[QUOTE=djcox2112]The first album is still undeniably Rush, just different than what they would become.

The first album is Led Rush.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 15:14

Thanks for the great pic of pre-Rush, never saw those before... Seriously I respect the debut album of 1974, Rush, but that was not Rush...  Rush is after Neil, no disrespect, just my opinion.  I was a kid in Michigan in high school in 1977, first heard 2112, I was hooked.  Listened to that a million times and decided to purchase COS, it was rougher took some time, but I eventually loved it.  Today, Fountain of Lamneth is one of my go to Rush tunes.  Listen to it all the time when I'm by myself, like on walks with dog, wife doesn't exactly love it.  "No one at the bridge", IMHO no better song ever written by any group.  I've saw them live roughly 40 times, almost every tour with the exception of HOF, didn't get into that album (but I still bought it) :)  Started out in West Michigan, then Chicago, Milwaukee, then down in Dallas, TX where I've lived for the last 40 years.  My favorite period would be from COS thru Hemispheres, but love them all (especially PW/MP)...  Moving forward, what a great album Clockwork Angels was, reverting back a little, saw them twice that tour, Dallas (the DVD show), and later the next year in G.R. MI.  That was a perfect ending for me, saw them in my start/ending locations.  Also saw them in the R40 tour, great show...    

Have you heard YYNOT's rendition? This was before their original vocalist Rocky Kuner (yes, that's her name) left. Her voice is positively electrifying.

Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 19:11
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Thanks for the great pic of pre-Rush, never saw those before... Seriously I respect the debut album of 1974, Rush, but that was not Rush...  Rush is after Neil, no disrespect, just my opinion.   

Oh, come on. There are plenty of bands who sounded different on their first or early albums. Ever listen to the first Scorpions album, Lonesome Crow? Ever listen to pre-Steve Perry Journey? How about From Genesis to Revelation by Genesis?

The first album is still undeniably Rush, just different than what they would become.

Yeah, excellent call on Genesis. Like, people give Rush flack for the first album not being "Rush" enough, or whatever. Nevermind that it has at least one certified Rush classic on it (at a sprawling 7 minutes too, Working Man!) and at least a handful of other hardcore fan favorites or otherwise oft overlooked classics (I'll let you decide if that includes In The Mood or not, lol). "There was no Neil!" "There was no prog!" Bah! But Genesis' first album, which didn't have Steve Hackett or Phil Collins on it, nor did it contain anything much resembling progressive rock (much closer to psychedelic pop in the vein of the Beau Brummles, and not like, the greatest psych pop of all time either). Yet I don't see people going around and saying "oh, well that's not Genesis, not really." It really is Genesis, the same way Rush s/t is really Rush, it's just the early days of the bands, still getting their feet wet, not settled in. 

Although, I'll admit, if anyone did want to argue that FGTR isn't "really" Genesis, I'd be more sympathetic than with the similar argument about Rush.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 19:20
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

But Genesis' first album, which didn't have Steve Hackett or Phil Collins on it, nor did it contain anything much resembling progressive rock (much closer to psychedelic pop in the vein of the Beau Brummles, and not like, the greatest psych pop of all time either). Yet I don't see people going around and saying "oh, well that's not Genesis, not really." It really is Genesis, the same way Rush s/t is really Rush, it's just the early days of the bands, still getting their feet wet, not settled in.

I've never heard much in the way that FGtR "isn't a Genesis album" as opposed to levels of dislike that vary wildly, usually culminating in "for completists only."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 19:25
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

But Genesis' first album, which didn't have Steve Hackett or Phil Collins on it, nor did it contain anything much resembling progressive rock (much closer to psychedelic pop in the vein of the Beau Brummles, and not like, the greatest psych pop of all time either). Yet I don't see people going around and saying "oh, well that's not Genesis, not really." It really is Genesis, the same way Rush s/t is really Rush, it's just the early days of the bands, still getting their feet wet, not settled in.

I've never heard much in the way that FGtR "isn't a Genesis album" as opposed to levels of dislike that vary wildly, usually culminating in "for completists only."

Exactly!
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 20:40
Early Journey was a good example. I suppose Fleetwood Mac weren't Fleetwood Mac before Stevie Nicks and Lindsy Buckingham joined. There's probably a whole bunch of other examples. It is true that some bands try to disown their early works (The Moody Blues come to mind) but the fact is bands change and evolve. The only example I can think of that might be considered legitimate (as far as it not being the same band) would be Renaissance where the original iteration had pretty much nothing to do with the Annie Haslam version. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 20:43
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Early Journey was a good example. I suppose Fleetwood Mac weren't Fleetwood Mac before Stevie Nicks and Lindsy Buckingham joined. There's probably a whole bunch of other examples. It is true that some bands try to disown their early works (The Moody Blues come to mind) but the fact is bands change and evolve. The only example I can think of that might be considered legitimate (as far as it not being the same band) would be Renaissance where the original iteration had pretty much nothing to do with the Annie Haslam version. 

Or how about Jefferson Airplane / Jefferson Starship / Starship, who would actually agree with the assessment that they weren't the same band at the start as they were later on! lol
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2022 at 22:34
^Well, there's a name changed involved there (actually three) so technically they were different bands even though they often had many of the same members.   

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 01 2022 at 22:35
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2022 at 05:07
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

And when did Geddy get the space filled in? 
Idk. Sometime after Fly By Night?

Edited by SteveG - July 02 2022 at 05:29
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Boggy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2022 at 17:41
Anyone who is a post-space Rush fan is a literal and complete degenerate... belongs in a siberian labor camp. 

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 07:50
The Prog Corner
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2022 at 17:46
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Before I comment, I have to ask, is that you or did you just find that video?
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2022 at 00:02
Originally posted by Boggy Boggy wrote:

Anyone who is a post-space Rush fan is a literal and complete degenerate... belongs in a siberian labor camp. 

I have been an everyday visiting member of The Rush Forum for like 8 or 9 years, and this is the first I've ever heard of post or pre space Rush.  Either the whole concept is made up, or it's so unimportant that the vast majority of Rush fans would think it's made up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728>