Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My list of top singers - please rip it apart!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My list of top singers - please rip it apart!
    Posted: January 16 2020 at 01:50
Hi, I'm trying to come up with my personal list of Top 20 Vocalists in Rock History.
It's a very, very narrow grouping, once I started the writeup I had 20 names on the list and 40+ substitutes... and I'm sure it still has obvious, glaring weaknesses.

I ask you to criticize the list and suggest different placement and/or names, taking into account my criteria:
  • covering rock music since ~1965 to 90s (some would say it's "classic rock")
  • hard/prog are generally >>> soft/pop
  • points for Skills, Fame, Influence and Unique Voice
  • avoiding blues, metal, fusion, rock'n'roll etc.
20. Ozzy Osbourne
19. Steven Tyler
18. David Byron
17. Greg Lake
16. Bon Scott
15. Bruce Springsteen
14. Geddy Lee
13. Axl Rose
12. Peter Gabriel
11. Jim Morrison
10. Paul McCartney
09. Chris Cornell
08. Steve Perry
07. Roger Daltrey
06. Ian Gillan
05. David Coverdale
04. Jon Anderson
03. Ronnie James Dio
02. Freddie Mercury
01. Robert Plant

HM: David Bowie, Eddie Vedder, Rod Stewart, Jack Bruce, David Gilmour, Paul Rodgers, Ian Anderson, Phil Collins, Cedric Bixler-Zavala, Peter Hammill, Bryan Ferry, Phil Lynott, Nick Cave...

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 02:04
great list, the only vocalist I would not put there is Axl.

Glenn Hughes
Dan Swano
Daniel Gildenlow
Steve Walsh
Chuck Billy
Mark Hollis
Joey Tempest
Morten Harket
Michael Kiske
Michael Eriksen
Andrew McDermott
Arno Menses
Ted Leonard
Ray Alder
Tom Englund
Fish & Steve Hogarth

and many others, I'll get back to it. Tongue

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 02:51
That's a great list. Thumbs Up I wouldn't change any of the names on there.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 04:18
I was just about to mention Paul Rodgers missing from your list seeing as you seem to have an affinity for those singers that somehow are able to pull back the sack and hit those girlish rock cries
*You did welcome folks to rip your list apart*

Just pulling your leg There are a bunch of singers on that list whom I personally adore. My alltime fave also in Jim
I’m not sure I can do such a list without missing a fair few of my faves plus my faves tend to change with the wind...though never Jim We arrived at an understanding many years ago.

Some faves off the top of my head?

Jim
Catherine Riberoux
Franco Battiato
Povl Dissing
Anna Meek
Brendan Perry
Demetrio Stratos
David Bowie
Susanne Sundfør
Lucio Battisti
Lou Reed
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 04:54
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

great list, the only vocalist I would not put there is Axl.
Thanks. I'm also a bit iffy about Axl Rose, his vocals are at least as polarizing as his stage antics and personality. The selling points are:
1) extremely unique sound; it's often parodied and mocked, but MANY people adore it secretly
2) colossal fame of Guns N'Roses even 25 years past their heyday; it seems the band stood the test of time in the eyes of youth

I'm well past my teenage days sadly, but found out that today's 17 year olds listen to G N'R with as much devotion as we have, not to mention the original fanbase in 1987-94 era. Anyways, Axl might be over the top and borderline annoying, but it suits his music very well... perhaps the most recognizable vocals of early 90s, sans Kurt Cobain.

You also mentioned a bunch of solid names, I'd definitely consider Swano and Gildenlow for Metal list - if I ever sit down to write one Big smile

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I wouldn't change any of the names on there.
Much appreciated! Cool

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I was just about to mention Paul Rodgers missing from your list seeing as you seem to have an affinity for those singers that somehow are able to pull back the sack and hit those girlish rock cries
You welcome Smile Admittedly there are some girlish vocals on the list, no way around it!

There are a bunch of singers on that list whom I personally adore. My alltime fave also in Jim
Hard to argue with Jim Morrison right? One of a kind timbre, very good stylistic range (crooning, screaming, meditating), the fame and influence is undeniable. Definitely Top 20 material, and I'm not even The Doors fanatic.

I found myself moving Bowie in-and-out of the list, hence the honorable mention. Demetrio Stratos had all the skills in the world, deserves a shout out too. Francesco di Giacomo was also terrific... but yeah, Top 20 is very limiting.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 05:27
I also would take Axl away (he´s anti-singer to me), everybody else is great or at least good! But no females, was that purpose?

Here´s my list, singers have always been important to me, so I hope I don´t forget someone really great one:
1. P J Harvey
2. Sandy Denny
3. Captain Beefheart
4. Tom Waits
5. Nick Cave
6. Jukka Gustavson
7. Steve Winwood
8. Gary Brooker
9. Jim Morrison
10. Greg Lake
11. Roger Chapman
12. Laura Nyro
13. Kate Bush
14. Björk
15. Ana Da Silva
16. Jon Anderson
17. Ian Anderson
18. Nina Simone
19. Buffy Sainte-Marie
20. Nina Hagen

Because Blues isn´t "allowed" I left there my big favourites Howlin Wolf, Robert Johnson, Charlie Patton & Skip James. Also would like to add list Elvis, Little Richard & Eddie Cochran.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 05:45
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I also would take Axl away (he´s anti-singer to me), everybody else is great or at least good! But no females, was that purpose?
Yes it was! With plethora of talented female singers, it would be even harder to narrow down a top twenty. Many here love Annie Haslam's voice, Grace Slick and Joplin are classics, so is Ann Wilson and even Joan Jett... not to mention the All-Time Greats from fringes of rock, i.e. Tina, Kate, Amy...

Here´s my list, singers have always been important to me, so I hope I don´t forget someone really great one.
Very eclectic list, I really dig some less obvious picks like Sandy Denny or Jukka Gustavson. Many don't meet the criteria of fame/recognition, but such is a nature of personal rankings :) From your list, Steve Winwood and Gary Brooker fit my criteria really well, thanks for that!

Because Blues isn´t "allowed" I left there my big favourites Howlin Wolf, Robert Johnson, Charlie Patton & Skip James. Also would like to add list Elvis, Little Richard & Eddie Cochran.
If I wasn't that strict, Little Richard and Elvis would make it to TOP20 on influence alone. As a matter of fact, I would shift my own criteria to have Presley at 1 :)

Edited by thief - January 16 2020 at 05:52
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 06:01
It makes a nice change for me to have heard of all the names on your list. Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 06:38
thief: Did you restrict yourself to male only on purpose, or are there really no women making your top 20 or even top 33? I know rock is male dominated but the world of singers surely is not! (I'd probably list 4-5 women in my top 5...)
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 07:04
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It makes a nice change for me to have heard of all the names on your list. Smile
The "fame" factor was important, I'd like to have list that can be discussed with non-hardcore fans too, and fame correlates pretty well with "greatness", at least when it comes to classic rock. Plus it's nice to have progressive singers grouped with other ATGs Wink

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Did you restrict yourself to male only on purpose, or are there really no women making your top 20 or even top 33? I know rock is male dominated but the world of singers surely is not! (I'd probably list 4-5 women in my top 5...)
It was on purpose. Kate Bush, Ann Wilson and Debbie Harry could make it to Top 20, but unfortunately most of the terrific female voices are either less famous (Annie Haslam, Siouxsie, Kim Deal, Alia O'Brien) or not really rock (Dolores O'Riordan, Tina Turner etc.).

tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 07:46

Just pulling your leg There are a bunch of singers on that list whom I personally adore. My alltime fave also in Jim
I’m not sure I can do such a list without missing a fair few of my faves plus my faves tend to change with the wind...though never Jim We arrived at an understanding many years ago.

Some faves off the top of my head?

Jim
Catherine Riberoux
Franco Battiato
Povl Dissing
Anna Meek
Brendan Perry
Demetrio Stratos
David Bowie
Susanne Sundfør
Lucio Battisti
Lou Reed

Smile

Mellem bøgeblade

blinker bølger glade

luften synes klar når himlen blåner

flade, lade

lisom ligeglade

hytter sig i hast hver gang det gråner

- Råbet lød som om det kom så lang, langt borte fra

ingen tænkte på at tænke på hvor tæt på det var

selvlærte slaver

med ødelagt maver

altædende fra dåser og kartoner

producerer pukler

dæmmer op og drukner

stiger op som bobler, brister som balloner

- råbet lød somom det kom så langt, langt borte fra

ingen orkede at tænke på hvor tæt på det var

Lykkeland '77
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 07:57
Not to many not mentioned id like to add although PG would be a top 3 on my list:

Just a few I have not seen on others lists:

Syd Barrett (You know who)

Noddy Holder (Slade)

Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots)

Matt Johnson (The The)

Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)

One of the most underrated rock singers, amazing voice:

Edited by tamijo_II - January 16 2020 at 07:59
Tamijo
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 08:00
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Very eclectic list, I really dig some less obvious picks like Sandy Denny or Jukka Gustavson. Many don't meet the criteria of fame/recognition, but such is a nature of personal rankings :) From your list, Steve Winwood and Gary Brooker fit my criteria really well, thanks for that!

Sorry, I didn´t noticed that fame in your criterians at all! On the other hand fame is a little bit hard thing specially today, I don´t think many today´s people have ever heard Steve Winwood or Gary Brooker, both Traffic & Procol Harum seemed to be quite forgotten these days, well I think Winwood is more known as solo artist than Brooker. As in the group of serious musiclisteners I believe those others are known except Jukka. Well maybe everybody doesn´t know who´s Roger or Ana.

Edited by Mortte - January 16 2020 at 08:02
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 08:29
I have forgotten to mention 2 really great, my fav singers: Roy Harper & Tim Buckley. But they´re not also the most famous.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 08:58
Glenn Hughes was also a great singer for deep purple, loved the dual vocals with coverdale
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 09:24
How can I forgot John Fogerty from my list?
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 09:33
Tamijo_II
Noddy Holder is a great mention. Versatile voice, good for both softer tunes and hard rockers if needed, I agree he's underrated. Probably because Slade didn't age as well as some other bands - or rather their stage costumes and image. When it comes to Syd, I like his mumblings very much, but it's a tall task to rate him above, say, John Lennon, and pretend nothing happened ^^
Oh, and Eddie Vedder is on my "reserve" list, still looking for a way to squeeze him in. Perhaps Axl will get the axe :)

Mortte
Well, I'm not THAT well listened, but still didn't know ~5 of your vocalists by name! Thankfully it's easy to check them out.

dougmcauliffe
Glenn Hughes has a huuge body of work so he would definitely get a spot on TOP100 lists and even TOP50. The problem is, I'm not too fond of Stormbringer and Come Taste the Band, and I think he was kind of responsible of DP taking that funkier direction, and Ritche Blackmore leaving. Polarizing person, but certainly HOF worthy career.
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 11:36
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Tamijo_II
When it comes to Syd, I like his mumblings very much, but it's a tall task to rate him above, say, John Lennon, and pretend nothing happened ^^

Ya you are right, did not take time to create a top lists or even consider who should be there not to mention the ranking, but agree that Lennon for a lot of reasons should be there, I would also try to find space for Grace Slick and Jim Morrison for historical reasons and influence, surely many others have not come to mind yet, including later prog bands (Tool, Mars Volta, Green Cranation........) and then maybe after all Syd would be left out..  

Tamijo
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 13:26
I'm looking forward to the Top 20 list of female singers. I just hope Annie Haslam will be included, even though she wasn't considered proggy enough for inclusion in ProgArchives. Smile
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 14:40
I will name 6 women:

Inga Rumpf
Dagmar Krause
Kate Bush
Annie Haslam
Joni Mitchell
Björk

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>