Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hemispheres (rush)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hemispheres (rush)
    Posted: January 16 2020 at 17:32
I had to really think back about this record ,i brought right after the A FAREWELL TO KINGS came out my mom gave me that album at Christmas as with many others in Ontario Canada became an instant fan.So after Neil peart death (r.i.p) i dug out the cd HEMISPHERES and gave it a listen ,now i remember ,when i owned the album which featured red vinyl complete with a tour poster ,which i hung up immediately i only had a mono rca record player at the time then gave it a spin ,now i must be honest expected a lot of guitar and drums on the first track but was startled by the side 1 CYGNUS X-1 BOOK TWO HEMISPHERES which basically a lyrical masterpiece involving Apollo and Dionysus having a big battle over heart and mind till Cygnus shows up ,anyways it takes a few times to listen to grasp the concept of the story at least it did for me.The other 3 tracks are more easier for guys like myself to understand CIRCUMSTANCES got played a lot on Canadian rock radio good song killer riff.THE TREES my favorite song about a war between trees oaks and maple with kinda neat ending result.LA VILLA STRANIGATO i find a bit too long but good but not YYZ,overall a fine record and i am glad all this social media wasn,t around back then to dissect every nuance and meaning of the songs .This is of one of the greatest bands to come out of CANADA thanks for reading this post GRANT
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 18:04
This album was my "theme music" when walking through the bus terminal in NYC visiting my mom in PA back in the late 80's and early 90's. It was so cool to walk through the port authority with this playing on my walkman. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 22:04
I think first Rush to me was "Exit...Stage Left"-VHS. Anyway "The Trees" was one of the songs in it that I really liked! Then I borrowed from my brothers schoolmate "Hemispheres" as recorded cassette. It took some while to hit, but when it happened it hits really hard!! It become my first Rush-vinyl (my brother already had "a Farewell to Kings" as Christmas present).
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 08:32
Listening back to Hemispheres made me realize that Side Two is so much better than Side One. The side-long epic is repetitive and just doesn't really go anywhere. That said, it's still my second favorite Rush album (after A Farewell To Kings.)
Skywatcher72 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Skywatcher72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 11:45
La Villa Strangiato may be one of my favorite Rush tracks of all time - when they wrote it , it was at the very edge of what they could manage with their musicianship at the time. They tried to record it in one take and ended up having to do it in three parts I think. 

I love that they were always pushing themselves to be better and better, even at that stage in their career when they really could have just 'settled'

God I'm going to miss that drummer
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 14:22
For me it isn't as great as many seem to find it. I guess the strongest one here is La Villa Strangiatto, but even that one I don't like as much as other songs from other albums. And Cygnus I used to like well enough, but in the end I found it a bit repetitive and whatever, it just didn't end up clicking so well with me.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 16:57
I love La Villa but it's a bit young.  The rest of the album is sublime, very sophisticated heavy prog.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 00:17
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

For me it isn't as great as many seem to find it. I guess the strongest one here is La Villa Strangiatto, but even that one I don't like as much as other songs from other albums. And Cygnus I used to like well enough, but in the end I found it a bit repetitive and whatever, it just didn't end up clicking so well with me.

I feel much the same. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 02:08
La Villa Strangiato is my least favorite (itīs almost Gentle Giant), but I like it anyway. I think itīs just great thing in Cygnys (like in other prog entities) that it goes back to the kind of main themes, to me it make it much more solid than some other entities where are all the time something new. I think specially some new prog entities havenīt got any "scheme".

Edited by Mortte - January 20 2020 at 02:15
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 02:42
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

I had to really think back about this record ,i brought right after the A FAREWELL TO KINGS came out my mom gave me that album at Christmas as with many others in Ontario Canada became an instant fan.So after Neil peart death (r.i.p) i dug out the cd HEMISPHERES and gave it a listen ,now i remember ,when i owned the album which featured red vinyl complete with a tour poster ,which i hung up immediately i only had a mono rca record player at the time then gave it a spin ,now i must be honest expected a lot of guitar and drums on the first track but was startled by the side 1 CYGNUS X-1 BOOK TWO HEMISPHERES which basically a lyrical masterpiece involving Apollo and Dionysus having a big battle over heart and mind till Cygnus shows up ,anyways it takes a few times to listen to grasp the concept of the story at least it did for me.The other 3 tracks are more easier for guys like myself to understand CIRCUMSTANCES got played a lot on Canadian rock radio good song killer riff.THE TREES my favorite song about a war between trees oaks and maple with kinda neat ending result.LA VILLA STRANIGATO i find a bit too long but good but not YYZ,overall a fine record and i am glad all this social media wasn,t around back then to dissect every nuance and meaning of the songs .This is of one of the greatest bands to come out of CANADA thanks for reading this post GRANT

Strangiato is really in my top 5 Rush tracks, but it's the only one from that album.
The Trees is also quite fine, and one of those Ayn Rand text that are more obvious (or at least Peart translated it that way)
Tough I like Cygnus X-2 (as I call it), I never really got down to decipher its themes (whereas X-1 was limpid) and therefore I find it not as good as 2112 in terms of side-long epics
as for Circumstances, it's really average, in my book.

Edited by Sean Trane - January 20 2020 at 05:40
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 03:48
I love this album.

Side 2 is slightly better than side 1 IMO. The Hemispheres epic has some moments of excellence, but does lack the excitement of 2112 and the mystery of Fountain of Lamneth.

The other three tracks are however faultless, with La Villa still being my all time favourite Rush instrumental. This album was Rush at their prog best IMO, before they progressed onto another excellent chapter. Of all the bands that moved on from prog rock around this time, Rush did so with the most integrity and finesse.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 06:38
To me itīs hard to say, which is better, 2112 (a-side) or Cygnus X-1 book II, I really love both! But in 2112-album 2-side is weaker than Hemispheres second side, so thatīs the reason why itīs my favorite Rush-album. As an album Farewell is really close to Hemispheres in greatness. I think Fountain is weaker than 2112 or Cygnus2, kind of adolescent work of theirs comparing those later. But I anyway like a lot whole Caress-album.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 10:47
This probably belongs in the "Prog In Unexpected Places" thread or whatever it was called, but while visiting a Ford dealership in Cerritos, Calif. last week, The Trees was being played in the showroom. That blew me away, as I've never even heard it over the local rock station. The receptionist there told me the tune was courtesy of Pandora. Still, it was exciting to hear it in this unlikely place (good speakers, too).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 13:26
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I love this album.

Side 2 is slightly better than side 1 IMO. The Hemispheres epic has some moments of excellence, but does lack the excitement of 2112 and the mystery of Fountain of Lamneth.

The other three tracks are however faultless, with La Villa still being my all time favourite Rush instrumental. This album was Rush at their prog best IMO, before they progressed onto another excellent chapter. Of all the bands that moved on from prog rock around this time, Rush did so with the most integrity and finesse.

.....word....
 Post Reply Post Reply