Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

National Health fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: National Health fans
    Posted: January 24 2020 at 05:17
Have not seen a fan page for this group who broke up all too soon. One of my favorite bands, essentially Hatfied & the North Part II (another brilliant band). I was lucky to see them live... 1979 in Lawrence, Kansas. There were about 80 people in the audience and the show was incredible, one of the best I've ever seen. Pip was very animated and a bit drunk but he played flawlessly, with a huge ring on his finger. We thought he might fall over from the weight of the ring. It was enormous. John was spot on, keeping the rhythm section tight and it was magic when he used a cue ball on his bass. Alan, when not playing, was pacing behind the keyboard, deep in thought, smoking cigarettes. When his break was up he ruled the keys, playing with so much passion. Phil had a music stand set up and was reading the music on some tunes. When he finished the page it was discarded on the floor. By the end of the show paper was everywhere. What a great band. Any other fans? Any stories to tell?

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - January 24 2020 at 05:18
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 08:43
I'm a newly-converted National Health fan, having reviewed their debut album less than a week ago. I'm going to take my prescription down to my local record store and see if they have any National Health albums in stock. After all, Canterbury Scene music is the best medicine. Smile
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 12:31
National Health is great, Hatfield was perfect (in my opinion). Egg was perfect too. 

Mumps is one of the best prog epics, and definitely most harmonically complex. Dave Stewart (also in Nat Health) is an underrated genius.

interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 14:42
Gilgamesh (Alan Gowen's other/main band) were great also.. The D.S. al Coda lp in memory of Alan Gowen is great.. Neil Murray, the first NH bassist left to play in an early line-up of Whitesnake- he is a good bassist so must have just walked an audition with WS!! I never got to see NH live, missed seeing them supporting Steve Hillage on the 'Green' tour..

Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 17:06
I heard my first National Health song just the other day (The Collapso) and was thoroughly impressed.
Can't believe I didn't come across them all these years. Better late than never I suppose.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 17:13
Image result for national health complete

Image result for national health complete
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 08:13
National Health is my favorite Canterbury artist.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 09:43
I just dropped by to say I listened to and reviewed the first album by Gilgamesh today. If you like Hatfield & the North and National Health, then I think you'll like Gilgamesh too. Smile

I'd also recommend the "Mainstream" album by Quiet Sun too. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 17 2020 at 09:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 12:06
For anyone who likes National Health, I'm pretty sure you'll like the music of Turning Point too. I reviewed their debut album Creatures of the Night (1977) today. Smile
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 12:13
Oh yeah! National Health and Hatfield were the cream of the crop for Canterbury. Both all times faves

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 12:14
National Health are a must for all Canterbury fans, Tenemos Road is one of the greatest opening tracks on a debut album of all time. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 12:45
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Oh yeah! National Health and Hatfield were the cream of the crop for Canterbury. Both all times faves

Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 13:36
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Thumbs Up

Double double thumbs up!!! Thumbs UpThumbs Up

I don't think I could carry on living without the Rotters clubEmbarrassedWink Or the first NH lp for that matter!

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 13:44
I love National Health. Unlike most it seems, the self-titled debut is my particular favourite (very solid five star album for me), but I like Of Queues and Cures very much too.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 14:00
"Better Days" - the final track on Turning Point's "Creatures of the Night" album.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 16:55
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I love National Health. Unlike most it seems, the self-titled debut is my particular favourite (very solid five star album for me), but I like Of Queues and Cures very much too.

Same here, and they are much dearer to me than Hatfield and the North, which whom they are often lumped together. Not that Hatfield are bad, but emotionally National Health give me far more.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 17:04
Thanks to all for the sudden surge of posts in this thread!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 17:53
I was listening to some of the complete "box" set in my car a couple of weeks ago or so. Good stuff. Anyone else ever notice that the one song incorporates parts of "theme one" by VDGG?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 18:06
^ That collection was my first of theirs, still a great introduction to the band without having to get everything.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 20:56
OQAC is a prog classic. The rest ain't too shabby either. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>