Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best American Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: What is your favorite American prog album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.54%]
1 [1.54%]
7 [10.77%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.54%]
1 [1.54%]
2 [3.08%]
2 [3.08%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [12.31%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.08%]
8 [12.31%]
3 [4.62%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.54%]
4 [6.15%]
3 [4.62%]
2 [3.08%]
6 [9.23%]
1 [1.54%]
12 [18.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 12:14
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Another fan of Lorca here

Count me in. Lorca is my favourite Buckley album and one of the three peaks of 1970 in my book (the other two are Barleycorn and Déjà Vu).
mcentra View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcentra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 12:24
Too bad +Live+ is not considered prog. Throwing Copper would get my vote.

wait a second... Why is The Mars Volta De-loused in the Comatorium not listed? I switch my vote to De-loused. It's a phenomenal album.

Edited by mcentra - January 28 2020 at 12:45
Skywatcher72 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skywatcher72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 10:10
Dream theatre

Not sure why I can't vote , am I on the naughty step ?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 10:13
Originally posted by Skywatcher72 Skywatcher72 wrote:

Dream theatre

Newbies can't vote or create polls, once you become a groupie, you can do it.
You haven't done anything wrong. Big smile
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 10:37

Dream theatre

I think you need 40 points before you can vote, so you don't have too long to wait. Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 01:01

Dream theatre

yes because its Dream Theater LOL
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 01:48
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Another fan of Lorca here

Count me in. Lorca is my favourite Buckley album and one of the three peaks of 1970 in my book (the other two are Barleycorn and Déjà Vu).

Yeah it is truly a remarkable album. Not an easy listen the first time around though...but once I got my head around the odd shapes and irregular melodies, I fell in love
Not sure which one I prefer though, Lorca or Starsailor. Both masterpieces in my book

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 30 2020 at 01:49
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 10:00
I just don`t understand it why Echolyn, Izz or Discipline don`t get highly rated...I voted 

Discipline Unfolded Like Staircase  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 11:56
I think because a lot of people haven't heard them. I've just discovered Izz and The Psychedelic Ensemble in the last year. There are so many groups it's not easy to keep up on all of them. Izz iz fantaztic.
PROGMATIC
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 10:08
TPE. The depth and complexity of his compositions, especially on The Tale of the Golden King, is astonishing and far exceeds everything else on this list.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 11:06
Frank, Steely Dan, Todd? Will go with Frank - the first time I heard him and was blown away...
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 11:46
Admittedly there are actually quite a few albums on that list which I haven't heard or don't remember..

All the same, there's nothing on that list that I really like.

Some that I quite like, or don't mind, or used to like, but nothing I'd go into raptures over.

Edited by Braka1 - April 17 2020 at 11:53

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 12:14
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

TPE. The depth and complexity of his compositions, especially on The Tale of the Golden King, is astonishing and far exceeds everything else on this list.
Great album. Does not exceed everything else on the list for me.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2020 at 13:05
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

By the way, even Tim Buckley's own record company tried to dissuade him from releasing it, presumably because they thought it had no commercial potential. Smile

Are we really going to trust record companies to tell us which music is good and which isn't? LOL

I happen to agree with Tim Buckley's record company in the case of the Lorca album. Smile
I hate to say it but Lorca is way overrated.

Why? I genuinely am curious as I've been very interested in notions of overrated (why I did that Beatles topic as I'd hoped to explore such notions, but got a little sidetracked by using the Beatles as an example, instead of it turning into more of a general epistemological discussion). To some it just seems to mean I don't value it as much as you (but there is no point arguing taste), and to me I look at specific claims and specific instances of overrating. For instance, someone has given it undue credit, which one can then demonstrate to be inaccurate or invalid (provide evidence and sound reasons).

I rate it highly, by the way, but that's just a matter of my taste. I haven't been that familiar with most people's position on the merits of the album.

Anyway, I'll give Bateless Edge a vote since it has none.

I don't have a favourite American Prog album, but I guess if I had to choose just one (Prog meaning it's in the archives), I probably would go with Perry Leopold's Christian Lucifer, I adore that album. When it comes to the US, I am partaulrly into the psych and folk (especially acid folk) scenes. I also like lots of the jazz ones and avant prog ones.

Some of my favourites in PA include albums by:

Perry leopold (as mentioned)
David Axelrod
Booby Beausoleil for Lucifer Rising (sure he was a Manson family-related murderer, but great music)
Tim Buckley
Terry Riley
Fifty Foot Hose
The Advancement
The Residents
Miles Davis
Herbie Hancock
Eddie Henderson
Bennie Maupin
Julian Priester
Lenny White
McLuhan
Zygoat
Wulf Zendik
Weather Report (for the first two albums)
Mirthkon
U Totem
Fun Machine
Absolute Zero
Silver Apples (in Proto Prog)
Thinking Plague (especially for the early years)
Motor Totemist Guild
Ga'an
Charming Hostess
Bent Knee
Bob Drake
Faun Fables
The Muffins
Hamster Theatre
Lobster Newberg
Masada
Platypus

The site lists News from Babel as from the US, not sure why. That turned into more of a laundry list than I had hoped.

By the way U Totem was one of the first more modern bands that I loved. The self-titled is brilliant. I'd tried some of the more popular modern Prog stuff and it didn't appeal at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234