Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zopp - Canterbury Scene

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IGNEO1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zopp - Canterbury Scene
    Posted: January 27 2020 at 12:59
New Canterbury Scene band from Nottingham UK, FFO Egg, National Health.

This was announced today on Bad Elephant Music's social media- album release date April 2020.

Zopp is the brainchild of composer and multi-instrumentalist Ryan Stevenson, with collaborations from Andy Tillison (The Tangent) and drummer Andrea Moneta (Leviathan). 

Zopp came to fruition in around 2010, born out of Ryan’s excursions into the Canterbury progressive rock scene of the 60s and 70s. As the music developed, Zopp has absorbed more influences, such as Stravinsky and Steve Reich as well as dabbling into the realm of ambient music. The sound is based upon vintage fuzz organ sounds that weave with complex time signature changes, and on catchy melodies, with ambient keyboard interludes to charm and relax the listener with its beguiling fusion.

"A decade in the making..." says Ryan. "I set out with the intention to bring the 70's Canterbury Scene sound into the 21st century by fusing it with ambient, jazz and classical elements, all while maintaining integrity by using the same instruments and sounds that were used on the classic albums. Egg, National Health, Hatfield and The North and Stravinsky were all massive inspirations. I've been lucky to work with a number of very talented musicians during the recording process of Zopp namely Andrea Moneta, Theo Travis and Andy Tillison."

Andy Tillison's review of the debut record below- taken from The Tangent's Facebook page 

'Musically the debut album is like a large format excursion into some of my fave musical territories. The word CANTERBURY is written in Hollywood Size writing on the hillside... yet this is its own beast. The scale of it is almost orchestral (although it isn't orchestral at all) It's full on electric music, stuffed full of glorious fuzz organs, old clanky pianets, groaning Mellotrons and the occasional synthesiser. It channels Stravinsky, Egg, Hatfield and The North, Anglagaard, the occasional shade of Ambient with massed instrumentation in what to me has become one of the best largely instrumental prog related albums I have heard in a very long time.'

I will message HolyMoly now with samples from the debut record (private stream). Currently there are no public tracks available until pre-order developments. 

Like the band below on Facebook and follow on bandcamp >>

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 14:23
Thumbs Up promising read

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 19:52
Got your message and replied - thanks for your submission! Per my PM, I’m not involved with the genre teams anymore, but I alerted the team to your request and linked them to this thread.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
IGNEO1991 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IGNEO1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 03:55
Excellent! Thanks Steve! Looking forward to hearing from the team.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2020 at 08:12
There is no music available. Might be advisable to not suggest an artist until they actually release the material. The Bandcamp page is completely blank for example. Re-suggest this once the album is released

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply