Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Songs from the Wood vs. Heavy Horses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which album do you like best??
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [62.00%]
19 [38.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 07:05
JT's last two great albums.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 07:08
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

yeah, maybe, but I love Roots to Branches and Crest of a Knave. Big smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 07:18
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Right on! Roots to Branches was great!!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 07:24
Songs From the Woods by a large margin for me. 
PROGMATIC
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 07:25
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Right on! Roots to Branches was great!!
I like those albums quite much too! And Rock Island & Catfish Rising are not bad albums. Their last two albums I have listened the least, have to listen them again.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 07:27
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

SFTW. Semi related question for people here. Am I alone in thinking TAAB side one is MARGINALLY superior to part 2. I’ve finally come around to that album and I think part one is easily one of The best prog epics out there. While part two is good, it isn’t nearly as memorable. Do any of you prefer part two? Curious what your reasoning would be.

(I think you're misunderstanding the meaning of the word "marginal") I really love the "let me tell you / come all ye young men" section and I think the ending beautifully wraps the whole thing up, but I can't say I really prefer one side that much over the other. Neither is complete without the other I think.
I prefer part two almost as much as one.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 07:54
Then:  SFTW
Now: HH

What's remarkable is that HH managed to retain as much folk flavor without repeating what was done on SFTW.   And it's a bit less "hey nonny nonny"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 08:00
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Then:  SFTW
Now: HH

What's remarkable is that HH managed to retain as much folk flavor without repeating what was done on SFTW.   And it's a bit less "hey nonny nonny"
I agree. SFTW was definitely more "accessible" where HH was pure folk rock.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 08:39
Not having heard Heavy Horses (yet, gonna remedy that), I didn't vote but I do like Songs From The Wood a lot. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 09:15
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Not having heard Heavy Horses (yet, gonna remedy that), I didn't vote but I do like Songs From The Wood a lot. 

I thought you may be interested to know there's a 5-CD Jethro Tull box sat available that has both the Heavy Horses album and Songs from the Wood included. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 28 2020 at 09:15
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 10:12
both equally and highly enjoyable.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 15:17
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Equal - can't decide.
Me too. Both are great to my ears, and it's always a great pleasure to listen to them. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 17:03
SFTW. HH is a really good album, but SFTW is great. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 21:08
Heavy Horses 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 21:57
Songs from the Wood for me.
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 01:57
Love both albums but if I have to choose, it's Songs from the Wood. And IMO these are not the last good JT records. I really like Stormwatch, The Broadsword and the Beast and Crest of a Knave. Then I lost interest (although I've got the whole JT's discography, I listen to records after CotK very rarely - maybe it's my fault and I should try to change it, but to my ears all last JT records seem to be the same - good music but nothing I could say: well, this is fabulous, fantastic etc.)

Edited by Libor10 - January 29 2020 at 01:58
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 03:22
Horses has more grunt. Always wins
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 05:50
Really close, but I have to give it to SFTW.
Braka1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 07:57

Songs From The Wood. I haven't heard Heavy Horses in a while but I remember really disliking it the last time and thinking it was just a pale rehash of SftW

For me it's the other way around. SftW, though it's good, sounds like them finding their new direction, and  HH is its full flowering.  Heavy Horses is a more passionate album to me, and pretty much every song just knocks it out of the park.

Stormwatch is the one that'sounds like the unconvincing third excursion.

Edited by Braka1 - January 29 2020 at 07:59

Believe me Pope Paul, my toes are clean
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 09:31
Originally posted by Braka1 Braka1 wrote:

Songs From The Wood. I haven't heard Heavy Horses in a while but I remember really disliking it the last time and thinking it was just a pale rehash of SftW

For me it's the other way around. SftW, though it's good, sounds like them finding their new direction, and  HH is its full flowering.  Heavy Horses is a more passionate album to me, and pretty much every song just knocks it out of the park.

Stormwatch is the one that'sounds like the unconvincing third excursion.

this pretty much exactly

I don't get how HH can be considered a rehash.  It's actually SFTW that is a rehash of what Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention and Horslips did in years past.  I'm not saying it wasn't great or influential, bringing Celtic rock into the mainstream the way those bands could not, but HH may be even more influential.  It's a more subtle take on the genre and I hear its influence in a lot of bands which followed who didn't hit you over the head with the "you know we are celtic rockers" message, like the MORRIGAN.

Stormwatch had some nice parts but lacked for standout material.  That's probably why the JT prog folk era was just a trilogy.  Plus the times were a changing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>