Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Book The Musical Instruments of Prog Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Book The Musical Instruments of Prog Rock
    Posted: April 05 2024 at 03:35
Originally posted by MitchwithDasticks MitchwithDasticks wrote:

I'm gonna grab it. How are the sales doing? Exceeding expectations?

Wow that would be great, thank you so much for your interest!

It's a self-published book, which means that I paid all the costs for its publication, and the publishing house only did the actual printing, they don't provide any support for promoting or distributing the book. So the hardest point for me is making people aware of the book's existence, the only tools I have are my instagram and facebook accounts for promoting the book, plus the few books I have sent for review to a few music magazines and websites.

So I really had no idea what to expect in terms of sales. So far 819 have been sold (617 in English and 202 in Spanish), which I consider it's quite OK. The problem is that the vast majority are sold via Amazon (I have no means to distribute the book in bookstores) and the profit margin Amazon leaves for the author is almost nothing. So I have just covered the publishing costs, but I have not yet made any actual profit. In any case I didn't write and publish the book for making money but mainly for personal satisfaction.

Pity that very few readers leave reviews in Amazon (I guess positive reviews also help potential buyers take the decision to actually buy the book), but nearly all the reviews have given the book 5 stars, which is very rewarding for me.

If you will buy it I would very much appreciate receiving your honest feedback. You will find my email address in the book cover flap.

Thank you, cheers!
Gerard

MitchwithDasticks View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MitchwithDasticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2024 at 01:57
I'm gonna grab it. How are the sales doing? Exceeding expectations?
kev rowland View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kev rowland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 14:23
It is an excellent book, and one I thoroughly enjoyed. Incredibly well researched, it is certainly worth seeking out. You can read my review here, http://www.progressor.net/review/gerard_bassols_2019.html
All five volumes of The Progressive Underground now available
https://www.amazon.com/Kev-Rowland/e/B07RJVRB2X
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2023 at 19:14
A new 5-star review!

"Incredible book (...). Well worth it".

Thank you Will!

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2023 at 11:33
I'm not sure about other currencies, but if you buy to Amazon.com in EURO, they have the book now at significant discount, only 23.35 euros instead of the list price of 30.10 euros.

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2023 at 15:26
Another 5-star review from yesterday! (translated from Portuguese by Amazon).
The average rating remains at 4.4 out of 5.

Thank you readers!

Edited by Gerinski - July 14 2023 at 15:27
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2023 at 10:07
In just 2 days the book has received 2 new 5-star reviews in its Spanish version, the highlights being:

"Interesting history of prog rock.
(...)
Rather than being just a catalog of instruments, this book goes through the history of prog rock taking a different approach.
If you are a prog fan this book should be in your collection."

"Excellent information.
Original, a lot of good information, easy-reading, funny, with excellent pictures and quality paper.
Highly recommended."

Thank you readers!

Edited by Gerinski - May 11 2023 at 10:08
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2023 at 07:41
Another 5-star review from yesterday!

"This book is now my number one" Smile

Thank you buddy!

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2023 at 03:58
If any of you can order to the Belgium page of Amazon, amazon.com.be, they have now the book at only 16.79 euros instead of the standard price of 30.00 euros! A great opportunity not to be missed!

Edited by Gerinski - February 26 2023 at 00:29
Agata C.T View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agata C.T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2023 at 01:19
No please, the grateful one is me!
I'm looking forward to reading your next work...
I'll leave you a nice and well-deserved review on Amazon!

Good luck!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2023 at 12:51
Hello Agata!

Thank you so much for such a positive feedback about my book, I'm so glad that you enjoyed it!

The book is indeed receiving very positive feedback from the readers, the Spanish version is rated 4.9 out of 5 in Amazon, and the English version (their contents is identical) is rated 4.4 out of 5.

As you mentioned I noticed some complaint about the printing quality delivered by Amazon, and I'm so sorry about it, even if they seem to be a very small minority, most people received a good quality copy. Amazon is printing the books on demand and I have no control over it, if somebody receives a poorly printed copy he/she should ask Amazon for a replacement, they have to do it.

Alternatively potential buyers may contact me, depending on the location and shipping cost I may be able to send them a copy myself from the books I have at home, so quality is ensured.

Once again thank you very much for your kind words!
Agata C.T View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agata C.T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2023 at 15:37
Hello!
I discovered this book through the Instagram account of the author and I ordered the Spanish version, and I liked it so much that I want to share my impressions with the Progarchives community!
The book is 288 pages long and all pages are in full colour with pictures in every page (over 500 pictures in total many of which I had not seen!).
Although some review in Amazon complains about the paper and printing quality, my copy came with excellent quality, as apparently, Amazon is printing the books on demand and the quality may depend on where do they print each copy.

The book is very well structured, divided in 4 sections: Keyboards, Guitars and Basses, Drums and Percussions, and Other Instruments and Sound Effects. It mainly covers the classic prog rock period, from the late 60s to the mid 80s.
The most fascinating section is that of keyboards, where we learn the evolution of these instruments, from the Chamberlin (ancestor of the Mellotron) and all the way to the digital synths of the mid 80s, and also some more modern and interesting keyboards. The sections of all the other instruments are also very interesting. Every instrument entry is accompanied with pictures, many of them of the great musicians of prog rock playing them.
The book is very well researched and we find many curiosities and anecdotes, the level of detail is just ideal for those of us who are not professional musicians, and you don’t need any previous knowledge in order to enjoy it. Although you might think that talking about musical instruments may be boring, the author manages to deliver a very interesting and easy-to-read book.
In summary, I loved the book and I can only strongly recommend it!

And finally congratulations to the author Gerinski (Gerard Bassols) for such a magnificent work!
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2023 at 05:14
Yet another 5-star review from yesterday!

Unfortunately it seems that Amazon is printing the books with varying printing quality.

Progrocco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progrocco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2022 at 20:32
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Another 5-star review from this week Smile

Congrats Gerard! Great to see that your book is being received well!
I've authored the first-ever Prog Rock Murder Mystery. Available in ebook and paperback format at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NKWGJ3S
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2022 at 10:13
Another 5-star review from this week Smile

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2022 at 12:39
Another comment on Music Player Network

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 04:33
Another one

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 01:38
Another one

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2022 at 05:43
Another one

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2022 at 14:26
And another one

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>