Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Book The Musical Instruments of Prog Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 03:57
Yes that PRS double-neck is such a beauty!!
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2022 at 09:27
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Yes that PRS double-neck is such a beauty!!

Superb indeed
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 03:20
A quick overview of the book

It maintains the 4.4 out of 5 rating for the English version, and the Spanish version a 5 out of 5 rating!

Edited by Gerinski - May 25 2022 at 03:38
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 06:13
Just seeing this thread for the first time; great accomplishment, Gerard! I can't imagine the trouble you had editing down to just 264 pages! Do you have any regrets? (That is, particular photos, stories, or instruments you left out?) Meaning: Will there be a second edition or Volume 2?

Though I may be picking up a copy, just curious: Did you include chapters for the Fairlight CMI (à la Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Trevor Horn, Anne Dudley, et al.), Casiotone VL-1 (à la Homunculus Res and Stevie Wonder), and electronic drum machines (like the Roland, Linn, Oberheim, E-Mu or Yamahas)?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2022 at 07:21
^
Hi, thanks for your interest! Well first of all it's 288 pages not 264.
I had material for easily a book double the length but I had to trim down a lot for practical purposes, for one thing all the pages are in colour (all of them include pictures, most of them in colour) and the paper is very good quality (because of so many pictures), so the printing cost was rather high, a book of say 450 pages would have been far too expensive for most potential buyers. I targeted a retail price below 30 euros (around 23 UK pounds or 32 USD) and I edited the book to achieve that price level.

So I edited down to the most important and emblematic instruments, and to those which had something really interesting to say about. I was clear from the beginning that this must not be "a photo book with some text" nor an "encyclopaedia of musical instruments". I tried my best to explain interesting things and the pics are a complement to the text, not the other way around. And to talk not only about instruments, which might be a bit boring, but to take the theme of the instruments as a sort of guiding thread, discussing along the way also interesting things about the artists and the music. As one reviewer from a Spanish music magazine said:

"This is not an encyclopaedia of musical instruments, but rather prose writing, with these instruments as the conducting thread of the well-told (and passionate) story".

So I'm not regretting much having left out many instruments, it was a matter of necessity. I do regret two things however:
The first is that since its publication I spotted a few (not many) mistakes, being either spelling mistakes, grammar ones (remember that I'm not a native English speaker), and also a couple of mistakes in the content itself.
The second regret is not having had the resources to use a professional native English translator / proofreader, although if you read the readers' reviews in Amazon this does not seem to have hampered anybody's enjoyment of the book in English, only one reviewer makes a mention about it.

So, a 2nd edition is not currently in scope but who knows, it will depend on the success of this first edition (a couple of readers already told me that they would welcome a second volume). Ideally I would love to be able to release a 2nd revised edition of the current book, plus a Volume 2, but at the moment I can not afford it.

Perhaps you know, the income we get from sales in Amazon is ridiculous, so I'm not making any money with it, only if sell enough of them I will be able to cover the publishing costs. I published it mainly for my personal satisfaction, and every positive review or feedback I receive from readers make my day happy!.

And to your last questions, the Fairlight is surely mentioned and there is also an entry dedicated to sequencers and drum machines, but the Casiotone VL-1 is not featured.

I can only recommend reading the readers' reviews, I'm proud when I read them, all of them 5-stars except for an Italian guy who complains that his copy arrived worn out and gave it 2 stars.

Edited by Gerinski - May 27 2022 at 00:13
Boggy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 01:54
Gonna check it out- impressive attemp. Doing god's work. THank you

On your future work, feel free to consult Bryan a Northstar studios. [email protected] for some help. He can really bring home the ideal cover art. I'd be willing to bet he would help you for free since the subject matter is so cool. 

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 02:59
Originally posted by Boggy Boggy wrote:

Gonna check it out- impressive attemp. Doing god's work. THank you

On your future work, feel free to consult Bryan a Northstar studios. [email protected] for some help. He can really bring home the ideal cover art. I'd be willing to bet he would help you for free since the subject matter is so cool. 

Thank You! If I ever do a 2nd edition I'd love to have a better cover, this one was a bit forced by the publishing company, I wanted some Mellotrons, Moogs and double-necks Big smile
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2022 at 08:56
Another 5-star review! (@progrockinstruments is my instagram profile)

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2022 at 03:41
Last sunday after the Neal Morse Band concert here in Barcelona I gave a copy of the book to none others than Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy! Smile

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2022 at 04:53
Very positive review of the book published today by the Dutch Progressive Rock Page

A big Thank You to the reviewer Jan Buddenberg!

"I'm going to need a bigger coffee table.

This was amongst my first thoughts as I opened the solid envelope that had shipped Gerard Bassols' book over to me. Initially expecting a lightweight paperback, I was surprised to find out it weighed over 1 kg. Seeing that it is an independent release, that was an expensive decision but one that has paid off most brilliantly. It does full justice towards the marvellous contents of this book which takes a closer look at the instruments used in progressive rock, predominantly in the 70s and 80s when the genre flourished like never before.

The author of the book is Gerard Bassols, a Spanish (amateur) multi-instrumentalist who as a fan of progressive rock has passionately devoted his time for the past 45 years collecting and listening to albums, and attending countless concerts and assembling a large collection of articles and literature on the subject. Gaining extensive wisdom on the instruments associated with prog rock, he started out with a blog to put this knowledge into writing. Ultimately this evolved into a book with a first Spanish version appearing in September 2019, shortly followed by its English counterpart in December of the same year. A wise decision, for this book most certainly gleams with a global and international appeal.

The book of 286 pages, bound neatly in an inviting stylish cover, is accompanied by two subtitles: From The 1960s To The Present and An Illustrated Guide. The first one is a bit tricky, for, let's face it, progressive rock originated in the late 60s and the present, as presented in the book, will likely become outdated fairly quickly.

This is already illustrated by the absence of Steve Vai's new toy, the custom-built "The Hydra". Given other entries (e.g. Vai's own triple-neck "Heart", Uli Jon Roth's "Sky guitar" and Brain May's "Red Special") this novelty instrument fully deserves an entry, and this fate will await more instruments in light of the never-ending stream of innovations and inventive new designs, especially in the guitar department. That said, for prog-newbies this subtitle does prove its worth, providing a perfect description as to what to expect in this book.

Which is a lot, for Bassols covers everything-but-the-kitchen-sink in terms of instruments, describing them in full detail on their differences, similarities, progression, failings and other important features. He reassuringly avoids drifting away in too many technicalities, which is a definite plus, especially for a novice like me. For those willing and able to take in more specifics there are few boxed-in pages filled with further elaborations on frequencies, waveforms and other interesting aspects, mainly in the synth department, so anyone wanting a more in-depth view is well catered for as well.

Bassols has dissected the various instruments into four main sections (keys, guitars, drums and other), each segment is thereupon divided into paragraphs on individual instruments. All this is written in an easy-to-read and engaging style, complete with some funny anecdotes, interesting historic tales and eyebrow-lifting facts. The overall result is a great chronological narrative that starts out with prog's quintessential instrument: the keyboard (and its many derivatives).

This first part takes up 125 pages of the book, which is quite understandable given the revolutionary evolution of the keyboard over the years. Starting out with the Chamberlin, a predecessor to the Mellotron, Bassols works his work way through the ages and passes the familiar Moog, Hammond, Keytars, MIDI and every other kind of synthesizer offspring. Linking all instruments to the musicians known for playing them, he ultimately reaches the Synthaxe, a hybrid between synths and guitars once endorsed by Allan Holdsworth.

Surprisingly one also finds the Theremin in this section, which I was actually expecting to be included in the "others" part. Given its distinctive electronic sound it does make sense appearing here, much like the reasons as to why the guitar-synthesizer turns up moments later in the guitar section. Between all of Bassols' vast knowledge, expertise and excellently clear elaborations this specific instrument is maybe the only time there might be some sort of momentary lapse in his otherwise superbly-orchestrated tale.

As a highly nostalgic fan of Symphonic Slam's 1976 debut, a magnificent album filled with tantalising songs shaped by enticing play from Timo Laine on his polyphonic guitar synthesizer, I was anxiously awaiting this instrument to be mentioned in the book. However, when it appears Bassols mentions a real polyphonic system only came into play in 1980. A possible explanation for the difference in years might be that Laine's device was a personally built instrument, even though it bears the same company name, and it took some time before polyphonic play could eventually be achieved on a larger scale. Seeing the role played by several musicians towards developing new instruments and techniques, this isn't hard to imagine.

Showing completeness, the guitar section furthermore expands to cover every extravagantly-designed guitar/bass one can dream up. Fretless, E-bow, Lap steel, headless, triple necks, Chapman or other sticks, multi-scaled, they're all accounted for as far as I can tell.

After 30 pages of digging deeper into the various innovative aspects encountered in the history of drums and percussion (e.g. electronic drums, stainless steel drum kits, cymbals) Bassols takes a final bow with a very brief glance at miscellaneous instruments like harp, saxophone, bagpipes and sound effects. Finally this well-researched book ends with an outline towards Robert Fripp's Frippertronics, before a frequency chart closes the book. An index would have been appreciated.

Attentive readers will have noticed I haven't touched upon the "An Illustrated Guide" subtitle yet. Simply stated, these 500+ photos inserted from Bassols' personal archive are the book's greatest asset. One that elevates his passionately worded texts from a nice and insightful pass-time into a captivating "Honey-I'm-off-to-get-us-a-new-coffee-table" experience.

Every single instrument mentioned, even the obscure ones, is shown either in newspaper clippings, video stills, (action)-photos or other means of advertisement. Some stills and adverts have lost some of their sharpness over time, but overall every picture included provides a clear view of the instrument at hand. More importantly it shows the musician usually associated with the instrument captured in a memorable moment in time when they played, cherish or mistreated these timeless inventions.

So next to Ian Anderson's authentic fluting pose and Eddie Jobson showing his see-through violin, we see pictures of Chris Squire wearing his famous Rickenbacker bass, while Tony Levin demonstrates his Chapman chops, just to mention a few. Many of those bring back lovely memories, some of which I witnessed myself such as the Midi-gloves of Steve Hogarth and Mark Kelly, and the spectacular set-up of Neil Peart's drums. Best of all are the historic circumstances I missed, like the example of Keith Emerson rotating mid-air on his aerial piano, which must have been a spectacular view at the time.

These attractive images also play an enlightening part. I still wouldn't know how to rig them like Geoff Downes, Rick Wakeman or Tony Banks do (as shown on several explained overviews), but it has clarified many of the differences between all these instruments to a novice like me.

And finally, let's not forget that these pictures also illustrate the passing of time, as demonstrated by a variety of electronic instruments that in the past occupied the size of a bookcase, but through technical advances are nothing more than an IPad today.

All in all, with or without a coffee table, Bassols' beautifully-designed book is a welcome addition to any music-lover's collection. It's not aimed specifically at progressive rock fans (despite the title). However, prog fans will obviously benefit the most from Bassol's vibrant story, especially in the way it's presented and delivered. Excellent work!"

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2022 at 14:23
The book is getting very positive feedback from all readers, both its English version as well as the Spanish one, kindly allow me to post some of the reviews I've got so far Smile

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2022 at 01:40
Another one

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2022 at 06:54
Another one

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2022 at 00:01
Another one

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2022 at 14:26
And another one

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2022 at 05:43
Another one

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2022 at 01:38
Another one

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2022 at 04:33
Another one

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2022 at 12:39
Another comment on Music Player Network

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2022 at 10:13
Another 5-star review from this week Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>