Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progarchives and the world of boxes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 11:13
Well, as everyone knows, boxes were created by British vinyl record resellers at a fair in Brixton on the weekend of May 3rd, 1972. Everything else is superfluous.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 11:28
How can music that's deemed progressive possibly fit into a box? 

Yes, all opinions are subjective but anyone stating an opinion must quantify that opinion with a decent explanation or argument. Simply saying that x, y or z is great or lousy simply because that person either likes or dislikes said work is unacceptable. The same with putting x, y and z into a certain box. These explanations need not be seconded but they must be present. And that's what's missing in many of these assignments.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 17:48
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Remember how punk (or disco depending on who you ask) killed prog? How these two styles of music supposedly were at war with each other?

I will blasphemously say this: Disco was progressive.   No sh*t.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 20:34
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Remember how punk (or disco depending on who you ask) killed prog? How these two styles of music supposedly were at war with each other?

I will blasphemously say this: Disco was progressive.   No sh*t.

Yep. There were riots where punks would hang out around outside of prog shows and start fights even throwing tomatoes at the prog bands. In fact I think that's where the whole idea of album cover for Tormato came from. Wink
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 22:11
^I have heard other story. When Hipgnosis heard album name will be Tormato, they started to call it Tomato. And when they were dissatisfied the cover they made, they throw it to tomatoes and then photographed it.

Also, in Finland it was mostly rockabilly guys that beat the punks. Progguys were not beaten then, but of course prog wasn´t in favour at all.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 22:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yes, it really can. No matter what genre it is, there is always people who want to go to box and shout to others that are not in the same box.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 23:31
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^I have heard other story. When Hipgnosis heard album name will be Tormato, they started to call it Tomato. And when they were dissatisfied the cover they made, they throw it to tomatoes and then photographed it.

Also, in Finland it was mostly rockabilly guys that beat the punks. Progguys were not beaten then, but of course prog wasn´t in favour at all.

I know. My story is completely made up. LOL
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 01:40
Part of the background for this is actually a returning event that I have come to cherish over the years which in effect is PAs AOTY. -A competition of sorts that tries to highlight some of the many new releases from yesteryear. I’ve always looked at it as fancy recommendation list on part of the collabs that usually tends to showcase what an eclectic bunch we all are...and I love that about it.

But there are always those that take these lists literally...like in taking offense because the new album by Smorgasbord isn’t in the top 5 and why it is that collabs have their ears stuffed with cotton and lard.
We also see this type of behaviour over the frontpage where folks start bogus account in order to rate a specific 2019 album with the proverbial full Monty..and then finds as many other 2019 releases as he can possibly muster..and rates them all with 1 star. That’s pretty much day to day behaviour on the frontpage and also why most folks who’ve worked as a collab long enough to realise this..well they end up not giving two sh*ts about the thing...or at the very least start thinking differently about the whole system.

I know many a progfans probably feel that I am barking up the wrong tree as they think they generally are an open bunch with very eclectic tastes, yet even so we still see this nonsensical fighting amongst us often deteriorating into heated posts where all kinds of madness gets tossed up into the air..simply because very few have the balls to admit to being wrong or unenlightened.

‘I really don’t get that band but I am interested in why it makes your juices flowing’

That’s a powerful statement, because it opens up a door in one’s brain. Just because one doesn’t like or get X band it is still feasible to put oneself in the other person’s shoes...or at the very least try to.
When that happens you aknowledge the fact that music isn’t finite. It’s not bound to your particular set of tastes and can furthermore be enjoyed and approached from many other angles.

I am not saying that we should like everything...but I am saying that we don’t need to start unnecessary fires in threads where we have no footing whatsoever.

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 03 2020 at 01:42
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 02:25
^^ We've seen something similar to that recently where someone who really hates Dream Theater has given ALL of their albums a one-star rating even though he admitted he hasn't listened to them. Stern Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 04:12

Yes, it really can. No matter what genre it is, there is always people who want to go to box and shout to others that are not in the same box.
The question was rhetorical. Anyhow, people can shout all they like as long as they have good reason to. That's the thing I find missing.

Example:

Question: "Is x, y or z prog?"
Answer: "Lol. No."

Edited by SteveG - February 03 2020 at 04:18
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 07:17
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

so we can better show that there is a lot more music out there, than most folks are capable, or willing to digest

But isn't that kind of the point? We all know there is lot more music out there than we as individuals can possibly listen to. So the problem isn't that we don't expand our musical taste, but that we have to find a way to actually limit our musical taste. How do I choose what music to listen to and what music to ignore? And yes, it isn't just about limiting the purchase of music, but actually refusing to even listen to some music.

Not for me, and for 46 years, of listening to Space Pirate Radio is this true or verifiable ... the best that i could possibly say, is that most radio stations, AT THE TIME, catered to the stoned and fanatic mentality for the "hit" and the phone calls ... "play Led Zeppelin, man!" ... when that person had the album in their own house and collection!

Based on the history and story of Space Pirate Radio, something that even some folks here can't believe, or even conceive to understand how it made it this far ... and what Guy Guden has come up with when it comes to the experience of listening to music ... is specifically that there are a lot more people out there that appreciate music of all kinds, and they do NOT limit their listening ... heck, I'm having a hard time lately adjusting to Guy's 50's and early 60's look around, since that stuff is all "foreign" to me, and I was NOT HERE in America to appreciate it, or know what it was all about ... but I do not dislike it and all of a sudden, you can see how this guy or that guy ... oh my gawd ... Klaus Schulze or Tangerine Dream do the same thing with the music in a different medium!

FOR ME, music listening is not about "choosing", since I often say, weirdly, that the music comes to me when it comes and that's that ... and I do not "force" my listening to listening to more of the same thing ... if I did that I might as well sit at home and listen to 400 Mozart concertos or smaller pieces of music ... that feel like just a top ten ... and they are somewhat similar in the sense that you get the feeling that he was just playing around with ideas, just like Bach did in his own series of works.

IF ... your choice is to go listen to something that is ... "similar" ... to something you have then, you are missing on the greatest thrill of life ... when an art form wakes you up from the slumber of laziness and sleepiness ... to find a wonderful new day with a new novel, a new play, a new film, a new piece of music, a new ... the beauty of it all is impossible to describe.

One wants to maximise the quality of the music one owns, so it is natural to seek advice from those who know music or have similar taste in music. Thus we get back to the notion of popularity of music within the progressive rock genre. It differs from the popularity of music in general by the group of people within which the popularity is determined. In other words, we don't like music that is popular with the whole world, but it's ok for music to be popular with progressive rock fans (or better yet, with RIO/Avant-Prog fans (for example)).

To me that is the voice of the academic teaching music, and telling his students that everything that can be done has been done, and you might as well stop trying to re-invent the wheel. In fact, a professor I know, jokingly (yeah, right!) said at one party at our house (and we're talking chairman of a California system!), that if a student wanted to "re-invent the wheel" that is not what we're here for to teach and they need to go somewhere else!

You don't see, how hurtful that is ... that an institution that is prized for its everything about the arts and sciences, all of a sudden is full of jerks that don't even care about their students and what they do ... and NONE ... NONE ... OF THE PROGRESSIVE FOLKS would EVER be able to get past that ... it is extremely difficult, and the appreciation is limited, and England is full of those musicians that quit school because of it, even though now they are cultured professors in many institutions.

One could try some form of random selection, but this assumes that most of the music within the selection scope is worthwhile.

That is the worst habit possible and you will not learn to appreciate a whole lot, because your ability to "listen" to a piece of music is not COMPLETE and TOTAL ... it's just like listening to CTTE and you have the Super Bowl loud in the background, or Arsenal playing in the background ... your listening is at half, at best ... and not attentive, to make a clear and concise determination about what you are listening to and all it suggests at that point is that you just go back to your favorites.

NONE OF US, here, including ADMINS, does that ... and we all know that listening is a special privilege and includes an appreciation that is a part of life, and who we are ... you don't random select your wife ... you don't random select your kids ... you don't random select a lot of your life ... and in my experience, it has not been a preferred environment.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 07:18
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Most non physicists try to use quantum mechanical weirdness in an effort to justify their pet metaphysical faith or mumbo jumbo...it just amplifies their ignorance. That said, anybody who gives foxtrot 3 stars needs to locked in the box with the mythical cat in the famous thought experiment...

It would be more fun to lock them up with Irene Pappas ... of course, those folks never heard it, so they will not only be shocked ... 

... and we will laugh out loud and hard!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 07:20
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Well, as everyone knows, boxes were created by British vinyl record resellers at a fair in Brixton on the weekend of May 3rd, 1972. Everything else is superfluous.

DE ... you got to listen to Peter Sellers album about Watergate ... you will change your opinion about "boxes" ... it is not only hilarious ... it is insanely amazing!
www.pedrosena.com
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 07:27

The question was rhetorical. Anyhow, people can shout all they like as long as they have good reason to. That's the thing I find missing.

I don´t believe in shouting. It doesn´t lead anywhere even there would be real reason to shout.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 07:54
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I have no idea what(or who) the op is talking about. Boxes? 

I'm confused too. I don't know who the mysterious PA member is who gave both the Foxtrot and Close to the Edge album a three-star rating.  Question

Ditto on both . . .

I think the thread posted sometime after the actual post (thank you, technology), or I'm completely off-base.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 08:54
It's all subjective. My favorite album of all time isn't even in PA's Top 100 so what do I know?!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 09:08

I don´t believe in shouting. It doesn´t lead anywhere even there would be real reason to shout.
I doubt that Guldbamsen literally meant shouting. Just someone offering a contrary opinion which, again, is fine by me if one can back it up sensibly.

Edited by SteveG - February 03 2020 at 09:09
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 10:23

I doubt that Guldbamsen literally meant shouting. Just someone offering a contrary opinion which, again, is fine by me if one can back it up sensibly.
To me also, as long as there are just different opinions about some music and nothing more. I think it would be boring, if everybody think same way about music or also anything else. If I have understand right, the main point in David´s posts have been there are no right opinions about music and it´s stupid if people starts to fight for their "right" opinions. Also, I think there always haven´t been just opinions about music, the problem has been more in the relations of the people, I mean who´s higher than some other in PA community etc.

Edited by Mortte - February 03 2020 at 10:24
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 10:43

Also, I think there always haven´t been just opinions about music, the problem has been more in the relations of the people, I mean who´s higher than some other in PA community etc.
Well, there's politics in all walks of life and I'm sure that PA is no different. I personally don't see too many over the top reactions and nasty arguments here. The problem is that the person whose being addressed is just that, a person. Sometimes we forget.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 11:13

Also, I think there always haven´t been just opinions about music, the problem has been more in the relations of the people, I mean who´s higher than some other in PA community etc.
Well, there's politics in all walks of life and I'm sure that PA is no different. I personally don't see too many over the top reactions and nasty arguments here. The problem is that the person whose being addressed is just that, a person. Sometimes we forget.
Yep, I agree with you, this is mostly quite nice place to be. And I think atmosphere has gone even better in that time when I was away from here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>