Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progarchives and the world of boxes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 14:52
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

And...it's convenient to have a place where some things fit. Even if it's a rough fit. Say dictator and people think of Hitler or Stalin. People don't stop to argue which one is worse or what their ideological differences were. They just get on with it.

Hi,

Actually for my time and place, the person would have been Idi Amin ... who was one of the inspirations for 20TH CENTURY SCHIZOID MAN ... I'm sure, although I do not think he was the only one as there were a couple others that fit the bill! Hitler and Stalin were from my parent's time ... and their silence over it all, as is/was the case for many folks that survived WW2, is a testament to their torment and suffering!

The song, by KC ... spoke louder than a couple of movies that became the "idea" that was Vietnam ... and a couple of other songs, one of which you can sing along in the Woodstock film, helped us understand what some of these things were about ... however, the media killed it all with the drug and sex everything about that time ... when not even half the folks involved were even stoned!

Edited by moshkito - February 27 2020 at 14:52
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 15:01
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

By the way, when it comes to boxes, I like the ones best that you can think outside of.

In my professional opinion (as a technical business analyst) the human mind is very much evolved to try and place as much as possible into comfortable sets/groups. Like I have opined before, a lot of laws that are based on arbitary ages, do so, because it is not practicable (in law) to have continuous parameters that would create far more grey areas than fixed statutory gauges...True genius IS thinking in a way that nobody has yet thought of...but still avoiding metaphysical nonsense to back up those ideas...

And...it's convenient to have a place where some things fit. Even if it's a rough fit. Say dictator and people think of Hitler or Stalin. People don't stop to argue which one is worse or what their ideological differences were. They just get on with it.

We are all pattern seeking animals.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 23:44
Patterns though are some times harder to pinpoint when it comes to one self...especially the disingenious ones that we often mask as ‘personal fact’.
Seeking outside of ‘patterns’ often ends up in some weird tapestry anyhoo...we’re just not conditioned to see the pattern for what it is...and deem it to be chaos/nonsense/bad music
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 03:10
Aye. I would liken some peoples inclination towards the most esoteric of musical styles as a personal need to find a box with as few other people in it as possible or preferably an empty box...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 04:11
You have a funny way of putting words in other people’s mouths...but alrighty you have shown all through this thread that you have a score to settle with ‘something’.
For me personally it was never about finding the most esoteric styles of music and trying to grok said music...nahh it was the other way around. Very early on I found myself leaning towards weird music. My journey has taken me down pop, country, disco and similarly mainstream alleyways. Why? Because I thought I had such music pegged down ie I knew exactly what kind of horsemanure it was...but I didn’t.

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 28 2020 at 04:21
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 04:23
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

You have a funny way of putting words in other people’s mouths...but alrighty you have shown all through this thread that you have a score to settle with ‘something’.
For me personally it was never about finding the most esoteric styles of music and trying to grok said music...nahh it was the other way around. Very early on I found myself leaning towards weird music. My journey has taken me down pop, country, disco and similarly mainstream alleyways. Why? Because I thought I had such music pecked down ie I knew exactly what kind of horsemanure it was...but I didn’t.

I was just projecting personal experience with a proportion of people who I have shared my musical journey with. I used the grouping nown of some people with the intent of not "naming names". Incidentally, I have observed the same behaviours with fans of all kinds of music. But Jazz, classical, opera and prog seems to have the most...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 04:30
And I have no real agenda, except I share an affinity with Voltaire, Hitchens and Twain when it comes to being appalled at human stupidity...peace!
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 17:14
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

hell I even got a whiff of that here in Denmark with Kashmir vs Psyched Up Janis which I never quite understood as I loved both bands....which of course wasn’t allowed because you either dug one or the other!!!

Personally I never got Psyched Up Janis, but I really like Kashmir, except for the Travelogue album (part of the reason being that I got totally fed up with it due to it being played at someone's stereo almost all the time at Klejtrup Musikefterskole in 1998/99). The Good Life finally got me interested, and I grew to like Cruzential too. I still don't regard Travelogue as an interesting album.

As for the boxes, I don't care much about them either, but tbh. some of the labellings have surprised me a bit (f.e. Pink Floyd in Psychedelic/Space rock which I think only really makes sense to their 60's recordings). Also, I don't think I have seen labels such as 'eclectic prog' or 'crossover prog' anywhere else than here. If you look up - say - Larks' Tongues In Aspic at Wikipedia, the genre definition simply says "progressive rock" and "experimental rock". But I understand the reasoning behind them - to make things more manageable. Still, there is the danger that people may stick to just searching for music withing a given box and then ignore something else that (s)he might actually like if (s)he had given it a chance.

On the other hand, in the outside world, if I see something labelled as 'EDM' or whatever people call things nowadays, there's a slight chance that this is not for me. I'll have to admit that.

Edited by The Anders - April 07 2020 at 17:16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345