Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Kate Bush Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which is your favourite Kate Bush album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [12.90%]
1 [3.23%]
4 [12.90%]
10 [32.26%]
7 [22.58%]
1 [3.23%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.45%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 09:22
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

She's never made a weak album.

It's a tough choice but my vote goes to Never Forever. The album is very nostalgic for me, and is just an eclectic collection of very well written songs. The Dreaming is quite dark, and probably her most progressive work, although parts leave me cold. Hounds of Love is joint second with the debut. The Ninth Wave is my favourite KB work overall.

Honourable mention for Aerial, though. A great comeback album, although for me she never really went away.
I'm hoping Kate Bush will make another comeback sometime soon with a long-awaited eleventh album. Maybe she's waiting until the eleventh hour to record and release it. Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 19:01
Hi,

I'm not sure that KB is in a hurry to pull off another album ... however I think her days as a "songwriter" are over, and I think we will be finding some more material that is on the poetic side, and does not follow familiar structures at all ... 

A lot of folks wanted a DVD of her concerts, and she said it would be  way off and not a priority, which would suggest she has other things on her plate that are unfinished that she may be working on ... she did do some Remastering on many things ... but I'm not sure that those went as well as the previous material that was already known. The CD of her concert was really fine for me, and her not wanting, or feeling that a DVD of it is not a priority would suggest that there are way too many small details she was not quite happy with, be it just show parts, or musically, but my guess is that the cinematography of it was not good enough for delivery, and it is one of the ugly comments I have about many folks doing video in many concerts, and they don't even know the music, much less the artist ... and I can see where an important song she should be the main driver for it and the filming stopped on her and instead there are shots of a bass player, or drummer doing one detail or two ... not exactly bad, but it takes the focus away from the completeness of the "song" and its design ... at least that is what I have seen time and again with many bands, from Gong, to Hawkwind, to Pink Floyd ... it just goes on and on ... it's like people with the camera in their hands were picked from the street and the "director" of this whole thing is not even listening to the music while it is happening ... it's a total disgrace to rock music and one of the worst things in since the MTV crap started showing up ... the other possibility is that the lights for the whole show were not as clear, concise and good as they should have been. For a "visualist" like KB, that would be bad!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 19:15
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The Dreaming - top 5 album of all time for me. Absolutely haunting and unique. I like all of her albums, I'd probably put Never For Ever on 2, which doesn't have votes yet. On The Sensual World I'm with Logan, underrated album.

ThisClap. The Dreaming is Kate's most genuinely progressive album, and it also features my all-time favourite song by her, "Pull Out the Pin". On the other hand, all of her albums are good or better, even the usually low-rated The Red Shoes. Kate's worst song would be a masterpiece for many other bands and artists.

Here, here!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 19:44
Love them all.

I think Hounds is her best work...Dreaming, 50 Words and the second side of Aerial not far behind. First three are very strong...nothing extraordinary with Sensual and Red Shoes, both pretty good though.

I'll go with Lionheart today.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 03:37
I'm amazed that The Dreaming is currently leading the poll, considering that's my least favourite Kate Bush album. Smile
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 03:53
There is nothing amazing. One of her most prog album, it has got also respect here even before. One of my big favorites too, really great & inventive album! 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 04:12
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

There is nothing amazing. One of her most prog album, it has got also respect here even before. One of my big favorites too, really great & inventive album! 

It's only amazing to me, not to anyone else, although I can't be the only one who doesn't like The Dreaming album. Wink
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 04:29
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm amazed that The Dreaming is currently leading the poll, considering that's my least favourite Kate Bush album. Smile

I heard that album once or twice. My impression was that side 1 is crap and side 2 is excellent.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 05:35
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I heard that album once or twice. My impression was that side 1 is crap and side 2 is excellent.
Maybe you should listen it again? Because I don´t hear lots of difference in sides 1 & 2, they´re both excellent! Or of course crap if you just don´t like the album.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 00:39
The Dreaming was not too well received when it came out. Many saw it as too 'experimental'. Clearly she was being very heavily influenced by Peter Gabriel at the time. I think she did Hounds Of Love as a way of having her cake and eating it by splitting her approach between the two sides. It's a very clever record.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 00:40
The Dreaming was not too well received when it came out. Many saw it as too 'experimental'. Clearly she was being very heavily influenced by Peter Gabriel at the time. I think she did Hounds Of Love as a way of having her cake and eating it by splitting her approach between the two sides. It's a very clever record. 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 01:13
^^^ I loved The Dreaming when I first heard it (about 5 years after it actually came out) The novelty of its weirdness did wane after a while though. She has made far better albums.

Night of the Swallow and Houdini are the best tracks IMO. All the Love is pretty good too. The rest of it is listenable, and very original, although I never took the title track very seriously. I'm not sure it's supposed to be. Lyrically it's very serious and political, but the music is a bit cringey..

Hounds of Love is superb. The first time I heard the Ninth Wave - loud on the headphones - I was left 'shaken' shall we say..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 23:31
I could not live without the first four albums.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 03:27

Kate must be about due for another album release any time soon. It's been nine long years since her last album.
Don't hold your breath!

This is an easy choice for me - HoL by a fair margin.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 03:33
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Kate must be about due for another album release any time soon. It's been nine long years since her last album.
Don't hold your breath!

The acclaimed Hounds of Love appears to be THE album that's universally well-liked by Kate Bush fans, unlike The Dreaming and Aerial albums, which has divided opinion.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 11 2020 at 03:34
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 03:53

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Don't hold your breath!

The acclaimed Hounds of Love appears to be THE album that's universally well-liked by Kate Bush fans, unlike The Dreaming and Aerial albums, which has divided opinion.
I used to belong to a KB group on Facebook (before it got too weird) and fans tend to be split into 2 camps - the ones that like the earlier "poppy" stuff (mainly the first 2 albums) and the ones who prefer the later more experimental stuff. This meant a number of people don't like Lionheart (including me, as it was a rushed "second album" job) and a lot of people don't like the weirder stuff such as on The Dreaming.
HoL is generally acknowledged to be her masterpiece. The Red Shoes gets a lot of sl*g.ing (although I like it). Aerial is generally liked - the version of the suite on Before The Dawn is worth a listen, I think it improves it a lot.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 11:25
So.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 08:00
The Dreaming 
Hounds Of Love 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12