Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deleting threads and posts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deleting threads and posts
    Posted: February 11 2020 at 13:10
Hello, how do I delete a thread I have started? And how do I delete my posts in threads? Are either of those actions possible?

TIA

Edited by LAM-SGC - February 11 2020 at 13:10
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 13:15
and how do I get rid of those damn 'HTTP Error 404.11 - Not Found' in my file manager?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 13:17
If someone has responded then you cannot delete your thread, and it's not set up for people to delete their own posts if later posts came along. You can edit your posts, or edit-out your text, but I wouldn't do so, or be careful with it (I edit a lot cause I make lots of mistakes despite being a copy-editor correcting others most often).   If others have responded, as once you start a topic and others respond to it, then it becomes everyone's thread, and it would be rude/ ungracious and look awkward to edit out posts that people responded to (and make a thread difficult to follow/ confusing). Sometimes people edit out their posts and it leaves the responses lacking in context. The general idea is that once once starts a topic then it belongs to everyone (at least a thread with more than one poster does), but that is more-so when others have taken the time to respond.

If one makes a mistake with a topic then once can request an admin to delete it. It can be a lot of work, but we can migrate responses (done one by one) into the new corrected topic.

Edited by Logan - February 11 2020 at 13:24
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 13:31
Grrr!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 13:34
You can't spell "Grrreat" without Grrr.

Basically if there is something one wants deleted, feel free to let us know, but I will be reluctant if there are responses or context is potentially lost in any discussion. Such requests are not uncommon, and we take it on a case-by case basis. Allowing everyone to delete their topics when others have responded would be unfair on the respondees, I believe.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 13:38
Thank you Logan.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 13:59
No problem, James, we are here to serve. ;)

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 14:17
- I am most annoyed with the quality of service here, may I speak to the person in charge?

- Sorry but he's been unavailable for years now and to be perfectly honest with you, Sir, he don't give a f**k about what is happening here.

- Ah okay, no problem, I don't care either.
 Post Reply Post Reply