Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Sabbath, the unsung prog trailblazers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 14:31
Agreed (except for moving them; doesn't matter as long as they're here).   Here's a quote from the notes in Warhorse's Red Sea from Philip Walker that describes part of what you're getting at :

"...Heavy Rock as a style grew out of Progressive Rock sometime in the early 1970s. The trend setters were Deep Purple and Black Sabbath" .

So the perspective way back in 1972 was that heavy rock/metal was born of a larger progressive movement that included all new forms of rock, whether hard, soft, modern, or retro.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 13:35
I've been listening to Black Sabbath a lot recently and they're often credited for being the first real metal band and I cant argue with that. But I feel that the material on their early albums is extremely progressive. The songs generally have several distinct sections with some really interesting unconventional non-straightforward uses of their instruments. I believe what they were doing was really unlike most music at the time. What they did was the definition of progressive.

On their debut they had these 10 minute suites of music with various changes throughout. Look at songs like War Pigs and Planet Caravan, Wheels of Confusion... Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and more. Are they a progressive rock band? Well, they're probably heavy metal before that label. But I think they deserve a spot in the heavy prog or arguably even the progressive metal sub genre rather than prog related.

No matter what they are, Sabbath is awesome!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345