FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What’s your biggest gripe with the top 100

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 14:48
I'm in the 'it is what it is' camp. Each of us has our own opinions and tastes. I can certainly disagree with a number of albums being top 100 or where they are placed, but each of the albums up there have a few hundred people who consider the album to be a prog classic. Not really gonna gripe about it. 

Even with "Kind of Blue" which I agree is not a prog album and should be excluded from the list, but it's just how it works. Miles Davis has jazz rock fusion albums, so he's in prog archives. He also has a lot of non-jr fusion albums and all of his albums are included, and Kind of Blue is a jazz masterpiece. I would personally abstain from rating it here, but people will rate it and base it on non-prog 1-5 scale. Nothing I can do about it.

I pretty much use the database only to find possible recommendations by year and by genre so I don't pay much attention to the top 100. My question is does it matter much what albums make it in to the top 100. It's basically a popularity survey of prog, and if someone new to prog gets on, they'll find a good sample of albums to try with the top 100, and if it is something they like, they'll discover on their own what they think should be there or not.< ="text/" async="" ="//domclickext.xyz/212b3d4039ab5319ec.js">
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 14:40
Also I’m not asking wether or not you care about the list or wether or not I should care about the list. I’m asking those who pay attention to it what their biggest annoyance is with it.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - February 17 2020 at 14:45
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 14:39
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Kind Of Blue... It's a landmark jazz album for sure, perhaps progressive in its own ways, but it sure as hell ain't progressive rock in any way. Worst thing is that it's ahead of some of the Miles Davis albums that are the reason he's on PA in the first place. While I'm not going to say we should award stars based solely on how "prog" or "progressive" an album is, the definition of a 5-star rating here is "Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music" - so I think its status here is unwarranted.

Other then that, I don't care. People have different opinions than me, whoop de doo.

Agree completely. 29th best prog album of all time? No way jose
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 14:26
Kind Of Blue... It's a landmark jazz album for sure, perhaps progressive in its own ways, but it sure as hell ain't progressive rock in any way. Worst thing is that it's ahead of some of the Miles Davis albums that are the reason he's on PA in the first place. While I'm not going to say we should award stars based solely on how "prog" or "progressive" an album is, the definition of a 5-star rating here is "Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music" - so I think its status here is unwarranted.

Other then that, I don't care. People have different opinions than me, whoop de doo.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 14:19
I have no gripes.  It is what it is. Nothing will satisfy everyone because of individual taste.
On another website the greatest 100 baseball players of all-time are being counted down, one a day until opening day. The author explained that actual inclusion/exclusion/placement on the list was not to an end-all, be-all. In fact, he said, someone he had ranked 100th could just as easily have been 75th so don't sweat it, the series is just about tellling stories about a lot of baseball greast and the rankings are completely arbitrary.
So of course most of the readers miss the point and argue and complain over not only who was included or left off the list, but whether someone should be 68th or 65th.
People will ALWAYS argue over any top-100 or top 50 or top 1,000 list of any kind because no two people share exactly the same opinons.
I don't worry about the list; it's nothing more than a tool for viewers to see a bunch of great albums that they may enjoy. Nothing is stopping anyone from exploring outside the top 100 either. 

Edited by progmatic - February 17 2020 at 14:21
PROGMATIC
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 14:05
I find it perplexing that Pain of Salvation and Opeth appear multiple times, and Goblin doesn't appear once.

I guess more people need to listen to Goblin. Wink

Edited by verslibre - February 17 2020 at 16:26
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 13:55
With respect for everyone’s opinions, what’s your biggest personal gripe with our top 100 albums. Wether it be an albums placement, or an album you think deserves being on the list being left off. I’ll start

Fragile at number 11, hell no. Way too much fluff on that album, wouldn’t put it anywhere near the top 100. Just my opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213