What’s your biggest gripe with the top 100

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 09:50
That it's not the top 1000

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 09:41
Animals > WYWH > DSOTM
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 09:21
I think Wish You Were Here is the overrated one. Just doesn't have the same punch as Animals or DSOTM or even meddle I guess.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 01:28
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

DSOM blows away Animals, one of the greatest albums musically and lyrically in my lifetime (63 years)

Er...no it aint...It really should go to a vote...

WYWH > Animals > DSoTM

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 09:01
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I think Animals is their best, but I wont deny DSOTM is a perfect album. If that was their last album, it would probably be top 3 on this website.

I aint going barmy. The pixie who lives in my underwear drawer has comfirmed my sanity...but she agrees with me, DSOTM is closer to AOR than it is to psychedelic or symphonic prog....animals is far better...

Edited by M27Barney - March 31 2020 at 09:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 07:51
I think Animals is their best, but I wont deny DSOTM is a perfect album. If that was their last album, it would probably be top 3 on this website.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 06:41
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

DSOM blows away Animals, one of the greatest albums musically and lyrically in my lifetime (63 years)

Er...no it aint...It really should go to a vote...
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 14:27
^ Blimey, Barney is barmy. Blame being a bit too bombed on the balmy berm in Blighty.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 13:20
PROGMATIC
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 12:40
I made no mistake...DSOTM...is very poor when you compare with WYWH and A. Good production does not make it special. I only like one track...ACYL...However, Foxtrot is far superior to my ears....I think that it is a typical dichotomy that splits this site assunder..into sorry hemispheres...

Edited by M27Barney - March 30 2020 at 12:40
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 06:48
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by A Bard A Bard wrote:

My Biggest gripe is that Abacab Is not number one. I think of this because Abacab has the best song that will ever be Who Dunnit. This is the best song in the world. it is so good i think it should be the UN's national anthem. I think that Phil Collins should be put as the world Leader because if a man can make a masterpiece like Who Dunnit then he can lead the world in politics. All other forms of media should be destroyed because they distract us from the glorious song that is Who Dunnit. 

Hail Who Dunnit, Hail glorious comrade Phil Collins,Hail Who Dunnit, Hail glorious comrade Phil Collins,Hail Who Dunnit, Hail glorious comrade Phil Collins, Hail Who Dunnit, Hail glorious comrade Phil Collins,Hail Who Dunnit, Hail glorious comrade Phil Collins,Hail Who Dunnit, Hail glorious comrade Phil Collins, 

J.K or am I

Are you one of those listeners that still believes that Phil ruined Genesis, that he is solely to blame for Genesis going pop? If you watch Genesis interviews, you'll see that Rutherford was the first one to be tired of doing progressive, long songs, after all his tearjerker ballad Your Own Special Way is the first proof. 

If you look at the song writing credits for Abacab, Collins wrote only one song - Man on the Corner. 
Banks - Me and Sarah Jane and Rutherford - Like It or Not. All the other songs are all three of them. 

Whodunnit was meant to be a joke, was put on the album as joke, and it started with Banks goofing on the syhths. In the end, it was Banks idea to keep it and put it on the album, instead of You Might Recall. He admits it himself. What has always puzzled me is that they rejected some songs, or used as B-sides that were much better than some of the songs on the album, just listen to the 1976-1992 archives compilation (for example Submarine, You Might Recall, Naminanu). 

No I did not like the direction that genesis went but, i don't think that Phil ruined genesis. Even if everyone stayed they probably would of gone pop.  I didn't do as much research in genesis as you have. I'am just making fun of Who Dunnit and i have nothing against Phil Collins       
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 02:49

My Biggest gripe is that Abacab Is not number one. I think of this because Abacab has the best song that will ever be Who Dunnit. This is the best song in the world. it is so good i think it should be the UN's national anthem. I think that Phil Collins should be put as the world Leader because if a man can make a masterpiece like Who Dunnit then he can lead the world in politics. All other forms of media should be destroyed because they distract us from the glorious song that is Who Dunnit. 

Hail Who Dunnit, Hail glorious comrade Phil Collins,Hail Who Dunnit, Hail glorious comrade Phil Collins,Hail Who Dunnit, Hail glorious comrade Phil Collins, Hail Who Dunnit, Hail glorious comrade Phil Collins,Hail Who Dunnit, Hail glorious comrade Phil Collins,Hail Who Dunnit, Hail glorious comrade Phil Collins, 

J.K or am I

Are you one of those listeners that still believes that Phil ruined Genesis, that he is solely to blame for Genesis going pop? If you watch Genesis interviews, you'll see that Rutherford was the first one to be tired of doing progressive, long songs, after all his tearjerker ballad Your Own Special Way is the first proof. 

If you look at the song writing credits for Abacab, Collins wrote only one song - Man on the Corner. 
Banks - Me and Sarah Jane and Rutherford - Like It or Not. All the other songs are all three of them. 

Whodunnit was meant to be a joke, was put on the album as joke, and it started with Banks goofing on the syhths. In the end, it was Banks idea to keep it and put it on the album, instead of You Might Recall. He admits it himself. What has always puzzled me is that they rejected some songs, or used as B-sides that were much better than some of the songs on the album, just listen to the 1976-1992 archives compilation (for example Submarine, You Might Recall, Naminanu). 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 02:29
righto

Anyway DSOTM ,never been a massive fan but when it's performed live it's something else. It can be taken as a complete conceptual piece as said. I will always prefer Foxtrot but as someone else said its Apples and Oranges. 
A Bard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 18:10

J.K or am I
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 14:03

Aye...im listening to foxtrot now...DSOTM not prog anyway....AOR is it skywalker...

LOL

That's how I also felt, and man, I've got the bruises and scars to prove it!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 13:51

And good tho Gilmour is....he had to bend his knee to the liquid ghostly hackett master...suppers ready is genius...the AOR effort is not...

"Supper's Ready" is an excellent composition for the most part, but there is nothing really "genius" regarding its make-up. It's just several different snatches of aborted songs (some written by Banks while still at school) welded together with segues. Some themes repeat.

To say DSotM is "AOR" is utter nonsense. In a sense, it is a more complete prog release than Foxtrot, in that the concept of the album is consistent throughout. And sonically speaking, the studio recording of DSotM was light years ahead of Foxtrot, even though they were released within 5 months of each other. Also, the same use of segues from song to song that you consider "genius" on "Supper's Ready" is better used and more fleshed out throughout DSotM. Even "Money" variates from an odd 7/4 time signature to 4/4 on the blues scale lead and then back again.

Your mistake is one I've seen often on PA: that an album cannot possible be progressive if it sold 45 million copies and stayed on the charts for 900 weeks total -- because in order to be prog an album can only have had an original release of 10 copies sold to the band's parents. So Foxtrot may fit that mold, given that it didn't even chart in the States on its first release.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 13:20
DSOTM is in the same category as Boston, Styx, Asia, Foreigner??? I don’t think so.^^^
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 13:03
And good tho Gilmour is....he had to bend his knee to the liquid ghostly hackett master...suppers ready is genius...the AOR effort is not...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 12:53
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Dark side of the Moon is not better than Foxtrot.

That's a pointless remark since both albums are rated at 4.60. 

They are also "apples and oranges" if you ask me, so comparing them is kinda pointless, too. 

Aye...im listening to foxtrot now...DSOTM not prog anyway....AOR is it skywalker...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 11:51

Dark side of the Moon is not better than Foxtrot.

That's a pointless remark since both albums are rated at 4.60. 

They are also "apples and oranges" if you ask me, so comparing them is kinda pointless, too. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>