Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What kind of Yes listener are you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: What are your preferences for Yes?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.06%]
6 [6.19%]
7 [7.22%]
12 [12.37%]
7 [7.22%]
25 [25.77%]
7 [7.22%]
31 [31.96%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 06:29
I like it all; I'm a bit of a fanboy , when I first come to this site I was shocked to find out 90125 was not so well received by the critics here same with big generator , I mean I love both those albums. I'm not so much a fanboy I can say theres some songs by yes I`m not so keen on but  I like it all; I'm a bit of a fanboy is the closest thing to how I feel about Yes. For some reason many Yes songs take me back to parts of my life I remember as being happy about life, when my life was simple and less complicated and yes opened up my mind to how complex music can be so beautiful, this opened up my mind to deeper exploration into many other progressive rock bands. Back then I didn't even know it was called progressive rock ! I just knew I liked it a lot and wanted to learn more about that type of music. There was no internet in those days no way of hearing much on the radio regarding prog  it was a case of taking a gamble and purchasing the album most of the time without knowing what is on it. (apart from 90125 and big generator that did have a few hits)  

Edited by Enchant X - March 09 2020 at 07:07
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 07:01
I don't really have a lot of time for anything after Relayer. To me the rot had set in with GFTO, which was the first time that, to my ears, they stopped trying to push into new territory and started to sound like a Yes knock-off band. 

I did used to enjoy 90125 and Drama quite a bit (and I'd still view them as a cut above GFTO and Turdnado) but it's been a long time since I listened to either.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 07:14
I dig bits and pieces from all their albums, but prefer their output up to and including Drama.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 07:55
All of it!!!
The Prog Corner
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 07:56
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I don't really have a lot of time for anything after Relayer. To me the rot had set in with GFTO, which was the first time that, to my ears, they stopped trying to push into new territory and started to sound like a Yes knock-off band. 

Wow, that's the first time I've heard "Awaken" as sounding like a Yes knock-off!
bender99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bender99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 08:15
I had to choose "other".  Ten years ago I probably would've classed myself as a fanboy. Yes were, and still are, my favorite band.. but nowadays I've learned that just because a group had the talent to make CTTE or Fragile etc, doesn't mean they can't turn out a few clunkers too.

So for me their golden period is from their first album up to Drama - I still enjoy everything in this period.

After that it's quite hit and miss.

I don't really like anything from the Rabin era, with the exception of a few tracks from Talk. Union I also find to be mostly unlistenable.
I enjoy both Keys to Ascension albums, the live tracks and the studio tracks.
Open your Eyes is, in my opinion, their worst release.
The Ladder has a few good tracks plus a few horrid ones.
Magnification I quite enjoy, and Fly From Here I like about the same.
Heaven And Earth I have not heard much of, but what I did hear didn't appeal to me - it just sounded tired.

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 08:21
Other - Various songs spread over their catalogue up til 90215. A couple Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe songs but that's about it. HOWEVER, full disclosure here, I haven't really listened to their output from the 90s and beyond. I suppose I should.

Edited by Jeffro - March 09 2020 at 08:25
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 08:29
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Wow, that's the first time I've heard "Awaken" as sounding like a Yes knock-off!
I think it's clearly the best part of the album, and to be fair the first six and a half minutes aren't bad (though marred for me by RW's choice of synth sounds that are pretty horrible...an issue throughout the record). Once we get to the tinkly chimes and pan-pipes bit it's all down hill though. Seven minutes of New Agey spiritual sentiments and shimmering keyboard gloop that leave me feeling like I just ate a wheelbarrow full of icing sugar.

Edited by Mascodagama - March 09 2020 at 08:31
Bandcamp Profile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 08:48

I think it's clearly the best part of the album, and to be fair the first six and a half minutes aren't bad (though marred for me by RW's choice of synth sounds that are pretty horrible...an issue throughout the record). Once we get to the tinkly chimes and pan-pipes bit it's all down hill though. Seven minutes of New Agey spiritual sentiments and shimmering keyboard gloop that leave me feeling like I just ate a wheelbarrow full of icing sugar.
I kind of get you with the tinkly chimes (although there aren't any pan pipes) but it's the bit after that which is the major part of the songs. I don't believe there's any other prog band who could have recorded something like that.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 08:49
Love most of the 70's stuff &  and ( to a lesser degree) some of the 80's , not too much beyond that. 
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 08:56

Voted 'Nothing after Drama', though I don't listen to Tormato at all..  and 'Going for the One' only recently (because of polls here) I'm starting to indulge a bit in..  so if not for Drama, it could have easily been 'Nothing after Relayer'.

***    Yes (1969)
         Time and a Word (1970)
***** The Yes Album (1971)
***** Fragile (1971)
***** Close to the Edge (1972)
****   Tales from Topographic Oceans (1973)
***** Relayer (1974)
*        Going for the One (1977)
          Tormato (1978)
***     Drama (1980)

Note: borrowed tamijo's notation Thumbs Up though in my case it means more of a relative ranking than listening frequency.

Time and a Word, haven't dig enough on it, but it doesn't come across as to my liking.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 09:03

I kind of get you with the tinkly chimes (although there aren't any pan pipes) but it's the bit after that which is the major part of the songs. I don't believe there's any other prog band who could have recorded something like that.
I guess they are..synth pipes? There's definitely some piping type of thing going on, in with the chimes there.

Bandcamp Profile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 09:06
Other. These days I'm more of a No kind of listetner.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 09:13
I'm a fan of YES, no doubt. I prefer the classic era, not much into the Trebor Rabin albums (They're good, but not my favorites), and I enjoy ther 90's and 2000's output a lot. Their latest albums don't do much for me though. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 09:27

I guess they are..synth pipes? There's definitely some piping type of thing going on, in with the chimes there.

I guess you're referring to a church organ which was recorded down a phone line from a local church?
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 09:48

I guess you're referring to a church organ which was recorded down a phone line from a local church?
Memory betrayed me a little...I thinks it's a treble pipe of a pipe organ (or synth equivalent) that starts around 6'47" and lasts until about 7'10":

Bandcamp Profile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 09:50
98% of my Yes listening is Relayer, Yessongs, and Going for the One. (The biggest chunk of the remaining 2% is probably giving TFTO a number of chances that the album all botched.)

Edited by Lewian - March 09 2020 at 09:52
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 13:01
Yes with Tales, and Close were.and still are the benchmark for sheer in your face over the top symphonic prog...who the fook would spin the sh*te of Tormato and 90125....how does that even cross the mind of a person? There's nowt so queer as folk...as my gran used to tell me...
Aroid View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 13:15
I like it all; I'm a bit of a fanboy, well not a bit, more like addicted... though I have a preference for the older stuff, could be age...

Aroid
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2020 at 22:38
I listened to the Yes west stuff when it came out--but don't listen to it at all now--sounds like that cheesy 80's sound---I have listened to all of Rabin stuff and it really doesn't do much to me--lots of great deep interesting music in the world and this isn't some of it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>