Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCovid-19 and the madness of crowds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 73>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 13:33
I work on an island - yes, I cross a 900m bridge every day to work. Where we are is rather isolated compared to the more metropolitan areas, which tend to be the hot-spots. We have only had 2 cases here, one of which, a woman in her 70’s, returning from a cruise ship, sadly passed away in hospital. Most folks abide by the new measures, though you get the odd fool who thinks they’re immune.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 13:38
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 05:34
Image may contain: possible text that says The Toilet Paper &quot;crisis&quot; confirms that we have more a****les than we thought!
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 13:57
This evening, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been moved into intensive care, as his condition has worsened over the course of the day.

Whatever political or tactical arguments we have over Covid-19, I know that everyone will join me in wishing him and his family well.

Incredible times........
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 14:56
^ Very sad, hopefully he will pull through.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 15:55
One thing I’ve noticed - people aren’t taking this seriously enough. How is it the human race gets bored and complacent very quickly ?? Behaviour like this will likely ‘allow’ Covid19 to claim many more, otherwise, avoidable deaths. “ Silly human, silly human race “ - Jon Anderson
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 16:03
The guy goes around boasting how he shakes everyone's hand in the hospital including possible Corona virus victims. The man's a cretin on the same level as beach revelers during lockdown.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 16:19
It looks like there might be a possible sign of curve flattening for New York. Hopefully it's not a blip. Meanwhile, another drug, Ivermectin, seems to have had some success at killing Covid-19 in lab tests...

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 18:06
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

This evening, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been moved into intensive care, as his condition has worsened over the course of the day.

Whatever political or tactical arguments we have over Covid-19, I know that everyone will join me in wishing him and his family well.

Incredible times........

I was deeply sad to hear this, and I most definitely wish him and his family well. I'd be sad if it was most anyone, but I've had a soft spot for Boris Johnson for years.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 19:41

Incredible times........

I agree, I hope he pulls out of this....is his wife pregnant I heard?? Going to ICU is not good, man that would be terrible Unhappy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 19:50
All i can say is......

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2020 at 20:30

Incredible times........
So sorry to hear that, An emergency announcement has been done also in Japan, a bit too late for us to prevent such a terrible COVID19 infection ...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 00:02
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

One thing I’ve noticed - people aren’t taking this seriously enough. How is it the human race gets bored and complacent very quickly ?? Behaviour like this will likely ‘allow’ Covid19 to claim many more, otherwise, avoidable deaths. “ Silly human, silly human race “ - Jon Anderson

Too many people are making the mistake of looking at the data as it stands today, which is not very helpful when it comes to covid as you have to look at the likely trends in the coming days and weeks instead.  

This well educated, 'libertarian' dude on Quora has been committing this fallacy again and again.  Not gonna dox but will quote some of his gems:

"As of today:
  • Europe: 18,724 deaths
  • United States: 1,246 deaths

How bruised is the European ego that it can ignore their countrymen dying at a rate 1500% higher than the United States… yet still time find to be profess the superiority of their healthcare over the United States."

This was on Mar 28 and since then, US deaths have caught up rapidly with Spain. While Europe still accounts for more deaths, the gap is no longer as large as it was then and is likely to be closed further and further as US is on an accelerating trend as of now.  

And on the question of "how does it make you feel that US is no.1 in new coronavirus cases", he says:

"Fairly good. Compared to the alternative.

See how Iran and India have little activity? Do we think the laws of physics and chemistry are strangely different in those places?

It's not really a question of new cases. It's a question of knowledge about new cases.

And then, when you break it down to the new case rate, we're fairly middle of the pack. Look at the deaths in Europe? We have less than 10% what they do."

Again, this outlook rapidly grows outdated as the number of cases climb.  

A lot of people still seem to believe in a matter of weeks we would have seen the last of this.  Doesn't look to me as if it's going to be anywhere that easy and I fear a protracted battle that will further cripple the world economy.  The alternative is allowing a Spanish flu like blood bath.  Which with today's population could lead to millions of deaths. 

IF every person were infected with covid, you could either go with the 1% death rate reflected in Germany with high testing.  Assuming that the number of asymptomatic cases is still higher and we go for the best case scenario of a 0.1%.

At 0.1%, the number of worldwide deaths would be 7.8 million.  At 1%, it would be 78 million.  

What was that thing about influenza again?  

WHO estimates deaths from influenza between 290000 to 650000 annually. 

But I guess the WHO is bought over by China/Bill Gates/deep state/Brandenburg, as applicable.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 02:15

Incredible times........

Indeed, I do wish him a full recovery. It's a terrible time for him and his family. The whole thing is surreal, and the PM's condition goes to show how this virus can be a long drawn out affair for sufferers which can worsen over time, and take a bad turn. It's not necessarily just five days of a sore throat and temperature, then getting back on the horse. The close media coverage of his condition will hopefully underline the reality of this condition, as it can be for many patients.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 05:44
There aren’t a helluva lot of cases here in Australia, compared to U.S. and Europe, BUT, we haven’t hit ‘flu season’ yet. Will be interesting how this sh*t progresses here during the coming months. I fear the worst.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 07:15
https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2020/04/05/louisiana-pastor-opens-church-to-27-busloads-of-people-to-fight-the-antichrist/

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - April 07 2020 at 07:17
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 07:43
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2020/04/05/louisiana-pastor-opens-church-to-27-busloads-of-people-to-fight-the-antichrist/

Come to my church and pass the plate,
I own the toll booth to Heaven's gate.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 08:31
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Come to my church and pass the plate,
I own the toll booth to Heaven's gate.
Ha !! It’s an effing virus, not the Antichrist. Dude’s a delusional fool.......
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 14:24
Sweden's experiment not going great. 

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - April 07 2020 at 14:25
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 21:18
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Sweden's experiment not going great. 

Sweden's response has indeed been the most puzzling one for me.  Didn't take them for the sort who would experiment with Darwinism.  The data is most definitely not encouraging though, again, those who look at figures up to a point of time rather than gauging the trend will pat themselves on their back for some more time.  

Sweden's cases per million rate is low compared to US or the worst hit European countries of Spain, France and Italy but it's also much higher than Canada and Australia and only a whit short of UK.  Considering the pandemic is in a more advanced stage in the UK than Sweden, it's going to get much worse for Sweden from here before it gets better. 

Singapore had earlier experimented with keeping things running with extensive testing and employing Korea-like contact tracing.  But, like Sweden, they allowed normal activities in the pre-covid sense to carry on, including keeping discotheques open.  They were forced to impose a lockdown earlier this week due to an alarming spike in number of cases.  This is likely where Sweden will have to head to.  The worry is they may have left it for too late, the way Italy and Spain did. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 73>