Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steven Wilson The Future Bites First Single

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 10:21
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Not surprising to see a majority who like it. SW could record an album of farts and his fans would hail it a masterpiece. Good for him.

It has a one star rating on PA. How can you rate before something is released?

They should be removed then. As far as I can tell only the one track has been released.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 15:29
Hi,

It's on the tube and it looks like SW posted it himself.

I maybe projecting some, but I hear older PT and then some Roger in here (Sheep), but it might be just the girls in the background ... I find it interesting, and "good", but not sure this is "great", but it is very listenable and I couldn't get out of it after the 3rd listen!!!! (... that's rare for me!!!)

PS: Admins : Thx for moving message ... had not seen this thread yet

Edited by moshkito - March 13 2020 at 16:39
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 15:35
Well it might not have been Steven Wilson himself who put it up but his publicist or promoter anyway. I'm not sure SW has enough extra time to bother with youtube(I could be wrong though). It sounds like he's moving in a more contemporary direction with some mild techno and ambient influences so good for him. 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 18:40
Love most of Steven Wilson's work - but unless it fits well into the whole album concept, I have to say it's 'Emperor's New Clothes' time. If I wanted Scissor Sisters/Heaven 17/Jimmy Somerville/New Order....I wouldn't be on a prog forum. Progressive for SW for sure, but this is retro electronica. I'll wait till he re-discovers Skiffle.

Edited by Squonk19 - March 13 2020 at 18:41
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2020 at 19:39
Never been one of those who worship every crumb that falls from SW's plate....However, when his stuff is good, I revel in it.  This is not. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 08:28
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Love most of Steven Wilson's work - but unless it fits well into the whole album concept, I have to say it's 'Emperor's New Clothes' time. If I wanted Scissor Sisters/Heaven 17/Jimmy Somerville/New Order....I wouldn't be on a prog forum. Progressive for SW for sure, but this is retro electronica. I'll wait till he re-discovers Skiffle.

Hi,

AND get Dave Cousins to master the material!

LOL

Tongue

Clown
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 10:53
I like the new single. 

Sounds like Nine Inch Nails only with more vocals and a good dose of psychedelic/space rock Thumbs Up

An improvement over his latest outings (the lacklustre Hand Cannot Erase and onwards).

Look forward to hearing the full album.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 11:03
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

I like the new single. 

Sounds like Nine Inch Nails only with more vocals and a good dose of psychedelic/space rock Thumbs Up

An improvement over his latest outings (the lacklustre Hand Cannot Erase and onwards).

Look forward to hearing the full album.

I think HCE is one of the best prog albums ever, however to the bone is a real stinker.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 11:24
HCE is a decent, but vastly overrated album. This track is not too bad, I won't call it The Future Sucks,, but it refers to early 80's stuff in a forcing way.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 13:25
I'm rather underwhelmed... it's good if I compare it to any random music, but not good enough to make me want to buy the album. The drums are terrible and actually not futuristic but retro.
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 13:52
First impression say skip it.
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 13:58
It's... I don't really know what to think about it. Indeed it's 10 min long, but I don't think it can be considered prog, really. As for electronic sounding music, I very much prefer "Perfect Life".
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 03:18
Oh I don't know . I like some electronica though. It reminds me a bit of Jean Michel Jarre's recent albums and isn't a million miles away from what Jem Godfrey does with Frost* (but Frost* is way more interesting) . Godfrey came from a pop background (producer of Atomic Kitten at one time) so its looks like Wilson is going the opposite route away from prog and with the same drummer!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 07:11
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I'm rather underwhelmed... it's good if I compare it to any random music, but not good enough to make me want to buy the album. The drums are terrible and actually not futuristic but retro.

Hi,

I was thinking ... that the drums are "conventional" ... and something that a much better tuned player would not do! But SW's probably played the drums enough to take the song further into a bigger studio, and I think that what stuck was what he already had!
www.pedrosena.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 08:51
I don't dislike it, but don't love it either. However, I think it's worth checking it out, unlike his previous album.
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 15:29

As was said above, this is New Order (with a dot of The Cure, Human League, Bronski Beat etc...)
All of that he's done wit No-Man already.

There are some sonic references to his 90s sound, and as usual a self-quote with the - i think Sky Moves Sideways - acoustic guitar chord during the spoken word.

Ninet Tayeb totally saves this song when she joins for the chorus and makes us forget Wilson's annoying falsetto for a couple of bars.
Seriously, what's his problem with his voice, it was fine up until In Absentia and then he decided he should try and be a rock, prog and since the last two albums a pop singer? None conviced me

Ok. It's catchy, sounds cool, it's already better then the entire snoozefest that was To The Bone.

Edited by Bonnek - March 15 2020 at 15:32
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 15:52
Lets be honest, Steven Wilson fans don't want to hear electronic disco pop. I can't see this album being too well received. Though I thought the track was decent, this track is 1/4th of the album and its looking kind of grim. Is SW on a self destructive path? Does SW also realize his music is not a necessity and this concept has been done plenty?

Edited by dougmcauliffe - March 15 2020 at 15:53
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 19:18
Giorgio Moroder having drunk sex with Alan Parsons in the early 80s is not futuristic. And neither is the swill Wilson is pedaling.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2020 at 19:26
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Giorgio Moroder having drunk sex with Alan Parsons in the early 80s is not futuristic. And neither is the swill Wilson is pedaling.

Hi,

I'm not convinced that SW is that great or that good ... there are a lot of nice things and all that, but in the end, I think he spends too much time listening to everything else to be able to find his own touch inside to make his own music even better, and special ... and now after all these years, I think he's mostly re-hashing the old stuff with today's stuff.

His lyrics, as usual, always pointed, have not shown that he has over come his anger to really be a serious writer and poet ... and all you and I can say about it ... he's just a song writer ... nothing else!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2020 at 01:30
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Lets be honest, Steven Wilson fans don't want to hear electronic disco pop. I can't see this album being too well received. Though I thought the track was decent, this track is 1/4th of the album and its looking kind of grim. Is SW on a self destructive path? Does SW also realize his music is not a necessity and this concept has been done plenty?

I think the weird thing is that SW has NEVER been cutting edge. When I first heard Porcupine Tree in the late 90's I just was completely underwhelmed by his both his music and snooty attitude. Now all these years later I am getting a definite feeling of Deja Vu. HOWEVER for a while he was definitely in the 'essential' category , although perhaps just the 10 years 2004-2015 (basically In Absentia to Raven with maybe one 'mistep' with the Incident ) , IMO anyway. I probably won't bother with this latest album. As you said , who really want's this?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>