Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Was Fragile an improvement on the Yes album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Was Fragile an improvement on TYA by Yes?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [41.98%]
21 [25.93%]
20 [24.69%]
6 [7.41%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was Fragile an improvement on the Yes album?
    Posted: March 14 2020 at 07:08
I was just thinking about how some people don't like Fragile because of the solo pieces but was wondering what the over all opinion on this is.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 14 2020 at 12:22
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 07:47
Fragile is an amazing sound---the solo pieces just showed how you combine all these guys sound and get this Yes sound. The sound and collaboration resulted in CTTE and never continued beyond that. But the thing I loved about classic Yes and always kept my interest-- is how much the addition of new powerful musician changed the sound. White and Moraz additions on Fragile Rick---and Steve on TYA showed the evolution of the band. Years later they would let mediocre guys in the band and the sound went way down. Voted first option.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 07:48
No, I find Fragile a bit inconsistent. I love the Yes album and CTTE is of course a classic but Fragile was never a favourite.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 08:22
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Fragile is an amazing sound---the solo pieces just showed how you combine all these guys sound and get this Yes sound. The sound and collaboration resulted in CTTE and never continued beyond that. But the thing I loved about classic Yes and always kept my interest-- is how much the addition of new powerful musician changed the sound. White and Moraz additions on Fragile Rick---and Steve on TYA showed the evolution of the band. Years later they would let mediocre guys in the band and the sound went way down. Voted first option.

Neither Alan White nor Moraz were on Fragile though. Alan came aboard for TFTO and Patrick for relayer. Only Steve on TYA not Rick. Or maybe you just worded things funny here and you know all that. Wink 

Possible mediocre Yes members:

Geoff Downes
Trevor Horne
Benoit David

Not mediocre imo:

Trevor Rabin (definitely not mediocre by any stretch of the imagination but just not what some were expecting for Yes)
Billy Sherwood
Igor Khoroshev (even though he was apparently an asshat)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 14 2020 at 08:28
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 08:26
No, I think The Yes album was better
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 08:34
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Neither Alan White nor Moraz were on Fragile though. Alan came aboard for TFTO and Patrick for relayer. Only Steve on TYA not Rick. Or maybe you just worded things funny here and you know all that. Wink 

Possible mediocre Yes members:

Geoff Downes
Trevor Horne
Benoit David

Not mediocre imo:

Trevor Rabin (definitely not mediocre by any stretch of the imagination but just not what some were expecting for Yes)
Billy Sherwood
Igor Khoroshev (even though he was apparently an asshat)

In answer to the question, I prefer TYA in many ways as it was groundbreaking. I always thought the band pieces on Fragile came alive in the live shows.

Your point about mediocre band members. Whilst I agree about David in the live context (he was dreadful), I really enjoyed his vocals on Fly From Here.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 09:07
I'm not necessarily saying they were mediocre. I was just trying to guess as to who he thought the later band members were that were mediocre.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 09:30
It what way? One could argue that it was an improvement due to it's sales and positive public reception.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 10:06
Both equally strong. I'd find it hard to decide which YES album I like best between the two. I'm also undecided about which is my favourite YES album overall, but I would probably opt for "Going for the One", because it includes my favourite YESSONG, "Awaken" Smile
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 10:46
Fragile has some great material on it, but some of the solo material is just filler.
The Yes Album is far more consistently excellent.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 10:50
I like the Yes album better but not by much ,and the solo short things is probably why I favor the earlier one.
I'm a big fan of the  Starship Trooper track.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 10:54
"Fragile" and "Close to the Edge" were my introduction to Yes, and are my two favourite Yes albums. I like that these two albums are quite different, and "Fragile" has "South Side Of The Sky", which is my second favourite Yes track after "Close to the Edge". Also, I think every track has a place on "Fragile", even the seemingly throwaway tracks.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 10:57
Definitely not. There’s a couple good songs surrounded by a lot of fluff, the yes album is great front to back.

I would choose drama over fragile if I’m being honest. I also think heart of the sunrise is boring and very “touch and go.”

Edited by dougmcauliffe - March 14 2020 at 11:00
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 10:58
Great question......I'll have to spin both and see. On first thought I will pick they are equal, same. I may slightly prefer Fragile.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 11:09
In my opinion The Yes Album is pretty but modest, Fragile is a big improvement.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 11:12
5 years ago I would have definitely said Fragile is an improvement, but I have since decided I think they are equally great.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 12:23
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

In my opinion The Yes Album is pretty but modest, Fragile is a big improvement.
Exactly my thoughts.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 13:21
The Yes Album for me.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 13:36
Pretty close, but Fragile is slightly in the lead (for me).
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2020 at 13:46
They are both very good.
Fragile is my favorite off all their albums so yes.   
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>