Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AOR and why I don't like it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AOR and why I don't like it.
    Posted: March 19 2020 at 09:18
Album Oriented Rock (AOR) is one of the most commercialized forms of pop music, imo. Built on the premise that "independent" minded DJ's played whatever they wanted to on early 70s radio stations, until the record industry saw big money being thrown away and wanted to influence the FM playlists. Payola now went to studio executives who hired "program directors" to pick songs for the DJs to play. Songs that were now only part of record albums, as singles were now redundant. So, many of these so called "deep cuts" were played in daily rotation just like singles. The list of which is endless: Blinded By The Light, Come Sail Away, Born To Run, all of Fleetwood Mac's side one songs from the Rumors album, etc., etc. To be honest, some of these songs are quite good rock music, but their over saturated broadcasts and commercial origins tarnish them for me. What say you about AOR?

Edited by SteveG - March 19 2020 at 09:21
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 09:22
Well, if all AOR was like Born To Run I'd love it, but on the whole there are great songs and not so great.
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 10:04
Never as in never listen to radio, unless I drive a very short car-ride, so i dont care what they are playing.
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 10:05
I kind of grew up on it so I have a soft spot for ARO (Some of it at least) But your right,  the commercial & over saturation aspects of it are annoying.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 10:17
Reading reviews during my early days on this site lead me to believe that AOR was another term for MOR or Adult Contemporary. My conclusion nowadays is many that throw the acronym around in reviews to bash post-artistic-peak albums by prog bands don't even know what AOR is. They can be forgiven though because before we even get to tagging a genre, there are two variants by name of what AOR is anyway. SteveG has gone the "Album Oriented Rock" variant, which in my mind should be a separate thing from "Adult Oriented Rock", which is what AOR is as well. What is most annoying to me though is the term Adult Oriented Rock, which is a terrible and misguiding name for a genre that could hit closer to the mark by being called Arena Rock. 

Anyways I like some AOR, though it's not a thing I've explored too much of. Boston, Toto, and a particular favourite of mine The Outfield are cool. 
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 10:19
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

To be honest, some of these songs are quite good rock music, but their over saturated broadcasts and commercial origins tarnish them for me. What say you about AOR?

I don't give a rat's ass about categories or origins. If the song sounds good to my ears, I like it. 

I will agree that over saturation is a problem. There are many songs I used to like/love that frankly I never need to hear again. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 10:22
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

To be honest, some of these songs are quite good rock music, but their over saturated broadcasts and commercial origins tarnish them for me. What say you about AOR?

I don't give a rat's ass about categories or origins. If the song sounds good to my ears, I like it. 

I will agree that over saturation is a problem. There are many songs I used to like/love that frankly I never need to hear again. 
ah, the ever convenient "no and yes" answer. Wink

Edited by SteveG - March 19 2020 at 10:22
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 11:30

yeah but over saturation is not exclusive to AOR.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 11:43

yeah but over saturation is not exclusive to AOR.
true, but that's the fault of modern Classic Rock Radio. Dead  Another one on the top of my hit parade.

Edited by SteveG - March 19 2020 at 11:43
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 11:44
I agree with Steve about it being overplayed but some of the music itself is not bad at all. It's just sad that much of it has been played to death. Based on the initial post and my understanding of it it is more or less synonymous with arena rock. I'm a fan of Boston, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Styx, The Cars, Aerosmith, REO(to some degree), Kansas(although they are prog also), Def Leppard, Foreigner, etc but typically I no longer listen to the radio stations that play them(or not much if at all). 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 12:14
As mentioned, AOR can mean various things (album-oriented rock, album-oriented radio, adult oriented rock and radio, a sort of melodic rock, arena rock, Andalusian Oriental Raga....). I commonly value quirky, off-beat music expression, and I found it generally seemingly too conservative for my tastes. I also associate it with a certain kind of Americana that I don't like.

I love much American folk, psychedelic music, jazz, art pop, blues, soundtracks/ library music, academic/ art music, electronic, avant-garde/ experimental music and more, but I have negative associations with AOR. I don't care that much either about radio saturation as I'm not a big radio listener when it comes to music at least, but when I was listening to classic rock radio, certain AOR stuff just, well, it just didn't resonate with me at all.

As The Cars was mentioned, I like early The Cars, but I don't associate that so much with AOR as later stuff by the band ("Candy-O" in particular is for me a great track). There's a lot of music hits that did get played a lot on FM radio, such as Madness' "Our House", that I continued to like.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 12:52
I have a bit of a problem with AOR as a concept

It seems that the Album Oriented Rock actually meant in the early 70's about Prog bands and assimilated, and the North American FM radios often played big chunks of albums, sometimes a fill side. This wasn't financially viable for private radio stations, which didn't have many commercial spots to air between 9 or 15 minute tracks. 

However, the AOR concept changed in the mid-70's, when Adult Oriented Radios (FM stations, going to compete with AM stations) chose singles and commercial tracks lasting between 3 and five minutes from rock albums (and their singles) and thus being able to insert much more add slots

Thus, you'll understand that I generally like Album OR, but dislike Adult O Radio TongueLOL

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 16:11
Funny that no one posting (mostly from the US) mentioned the other A word that is used in this context - 'American' . For those from the UK this was music that was peculiarly a United States style of music and epitomised by Foreigner , Toto, Kansas , Boston and eventually by Styx and the utterly dreadful Reo Speedwagon. I'm not trying to be xenophobic about this ( I don't need to try lol) but it did seem like 1% inspiration and 99% drivel. Another explanation for its existence I've heard is that the massive stadium acts like ELP, Genesis , Floyd and Yes stopped touring and something had to take its place. It was radio driven but that was less obvious to us here as we didn't listen to US radio! That said I can list at least half a dozen so called AOR songs that I love. Perhaps the earliest might be Chicago 25 or 6 to 4. Of course its an incredibly cool track that's not really considered 'AOR' but I think of it as very early example of what was coming. Stuff like Carry On Wayward Song and More Than A Feeling is also great even though the formula is emerging and becoming more obvious. I will also admit I have a massive soft spot for Toto -Africa . That was such a deceptively delightful record if ever there was one.

Edited by richardh - March 19 2020 at 16:13
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 16:18
Well, I said that "I also associate it with a certain kind of Americana that I don't like" despite liking "American folk, psychedelic music, jazz, art pop, blues, soundtracks/ library music, academic/ art music, electronic, avant-garde/ experimental music and more...."
Just a fanboy passin' through.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 16:33
I think of “AOR” as more of a radio format than a style of music. If it is a style, what is it exactly? When you think about it, Boston and Fleetwood Mac have very little in common musically, yet they’re two of the first bands that come to mind with that term. The pejorative nature of the term today comes from over saturation and (possibly) some resentment at those bands’ continued popularity when most of them haven’t released anything new/decent in decades. Enough already, we cry. But ya know? I can remember a time when Foreigner sounded pretty damn cool, and those songs that were the coolest continue to get played today. So they serve a nostalgic purpose at least.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 16:57
I don’t care what people say, Boston’s debut and Pieces of Eight/Grand illusion kick ass!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 17:11
Bad Company's debut is a very solid album.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 18:45
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

It seems that the Album Oriented Rock actually meant in the early 70's about Prog bands and assimilated, and the North American FM radios often played big chunks of albums, sometimes a fill side. This wasn't financially viable for private radio stations, which didn't have many commercial spots to air between 9 or 15 minute tracks. 
Hi,

We can use the big local station in my town (then!!!), as an example, when in the early days, they did not exactly have a list of any kind and the playing of things was pretty random (sometimes) but you were going to get all the wives' favorite kitchen songs in the afternoon, all the dancing and hip stuff at the club for fun in the evenings, and the tasteless rock guy at midnight ... and in the middle of all that, you had a show that still lives today ... SPACE PIRATE RADIO ... 

And, yeah, only on Guy's show didn't long cuts and full albums not get the listen they deserved. Klaus Schulze was played, Tangerine Dream was played ... and the funny thing? No one complained although Guy often jokes about the stoned fan, calling from his house ... "play Led Zeppelin man... !"

What started as "private" was eventually sold for the big return ... and the same thing will happen to a lot of the dope dispensaries and stores in the next five years, until the whole thing is corporate, and you end up with a cartel ... wow ... the thought ... 

What hurt things the most, I think was that these stations were "local" which the FCC did away with when things became "corporate", and the most (at the time) they could get from a restaurant, or any store and such was $100/$200 dollars a week, and one day, just before the big companies showed up ... the Army and Navy brought in their commercials and offered the station $2500 a month ... and the day after Coke and Pepsi show up to add another $1500 each ... and over night you become a corporate station and you stop fighting ... you just got a raise, and now go play the 20 songs on the albums listed ... and read your bits and such ... and shut up ... and most did ... the music was not important to any of them anyway ... so there was no pain in the change, was there! Except that the station raised its price and the number of "locals" dropped ... today, there are no "locals" in almost all stations! It's a thing of the past ... but then, no finances either, without the bigger money!

AOR became Album Oriented Rot. The smell of used up, money!

AND honestly? The music sounded like it, too! And calling it "progressive" then is just a joke!

Edited by moshkito - March 19 2020 at 18:45
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 06:25
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I have a bit of a problem with AOR as a concept

However, the AOR concept changed in the mid-70's, when Adult Oriented Radios (FM stations, going to compete with AM stations) chose singles and commercial tracks lasting between 3 and five minutes from rock albums (and their singles) and thus being able to insert much more add slots

Thus, you'll understand that I generally like Album OR, but dislike Adult O Radio TongueLOL

Unfortunately, this is the popular misconception of AOR as Adult Oriented Rock. It's not a business term that was ever used by either the record industry or FM radio stations in the 70s. This a concept that appeared in the late 80s and has no bearing on Album Oriented Rock, which is what my post is about, exclusively.

As an aside, adult oriented rock listening also includes groups like the Carpenters and The Monkees. I didn't know that you were a fan. Wink

Edited by SteveG - March 20 2020 at 06:34
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 07:09
Hopefully, this will clear up some of this AOR confusion.

When the AOR radio stations returned to playing exclusively singles in the mid 80s, all of the new wave hits as well as rock hits by Journey, etc., the format was rebranded as Adult Oriented Rock, as calling it Singles Oriented Rock was akin to throwing back their formatting styles to something that rang out as old time AM formatting. The conflation of Adult Oriented Rock and Album Oriented Rock has now become a mainstay of popular culture but are distinct and different from one another, save for the business practices which are identical.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>