Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AOR and why I don't like it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 07:58
Made this list on RYM recently

While not even close to my favorite style of music, there are some artists and songs that i find irresistible.
One of the strongest aspects of this style of music are vocalists ability to be the focus of the music and of course the melody has to be strong. I've always considered neo-prog to be the AOR of prog whether that's a realistic comparison or not Big smile

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 08:08
^ Cool list. I just had a serious 80's flashback!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 08:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Unfortunately, this is the popular misconception of AOR as Adult Oriented Rock. It's not a business term that was ever used by either the record industry or FM radio stations in the 70s. This a concept that appeared in the late 80s and has no bearing on Album Oriented Rock, which is what my post is about, exclusively.

Hi,

I think it did ... in one sense, but with different words. AM Radio (or hit radio) was centered around SINGLES, whereas almost all the early FM Radio was stuff from Albums, and not singles ... massive and major difference because many of the things on the albums would have been cut to fit the AM radio model, that had been famous for the 3 to 4 minute versions of songs, of which the most famous of them is LIGHT MY FIRE ... and my roomie even made fun of it, by playing that single BACKWARDS, and then the original ... as it was meant to be!

(It was fun making fun of the hit radio) ... and the local station had a habit of having fun with the AM format's and on April Fool's would become a raging AM station and unload the biggest pile of crap on the air that you could think of ... my roomie did a satire on a famous LA personality called "The Real Don Steele" which was renamed ... "The Real Don Robot" ... bits and pieces of which Guy still plays on his show these days, and many folks love it!

The start of that show ... let's take a trip down Whittier Blvd .... and the dope was on!

Album "radio", or almost ALL FM radio was much mellower and more civilized, and although the commercials started being cool in the early days, by 1980, they were the same as those on the hit radio.

Edited by moshkito - March 20 2020 at 08:19
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 08:53
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

While not even close to my favorite style of music, there are some artists and songs that i find irresistible.
One of the strongest aspects of this style of music are vocalists ability to be the focus of the music and of course the melody has to be strong. I've always considered neo-prog to be the AOR of prog whether that's a realistic comparison or not Big smile

That's a nice list, I do not know all of them, but I enjoy quite a few in there. 
I listen to this kind of music if I enjoy the vocals and the musicians show some skill (which a lot of times they do). 

Edited by Cristi - March 20 2020 at 08:53
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 09:08

Well, I like one song form the list. Africa by Toto. It's kind of like prog lite.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 09:25
^ prog is king but sometimes simple catchy tunes are just fun! That's why i love all the pop shlop like bubblegum, euro-disco, new wave, synthpop etc :)

I hate the commercial aspect of much of that music but no denying that bands like Jethro Tull and Beatles were commercialized to death as well.

Site has gotten buggy AF today grrr

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 09:33
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Funny that no one posting (mostly from the US) mentioned the other A word that is used in this context - 'American' . For those from the UK this was music that was peculiarly a United States style of music and epitomised by Foreigner , Toto, Kansas , Boston and eventually by Styx and the utterly dreadful Reo Speedwagon. I'm not trying to be xenophobic about this ( I don't need to try lol) but it did seem like 1% inspiration and 99% drivel. Another explanation for its existence I've heard is that the massive stadium acts like ELP, Genesis , Floyd and Yes stopped touring and something had to take its place. It was radio driven but that was less obvious to us here as we didn't listen to US radio! That said I can list at least half a dozen so called AOR songs that I love. Perhaps the earliest might be Chicago 25 or 6 to 4. Of course its an incredibly cool track that's not really considered 'AOR' but I think of it as very early example of what was coming. Stuff like Carry On Wayward Song and More Than A Feeling is also great even though the formula is emerging and becoming more obvious. I will also admit I have a massive soft spot for Toto -Africa . That was such a deceptively delightful record if ever there was one.

Out of the bands I mentioned Foreigner was half american and Def Leppard were from the UK. The others I admit were from the US. Wink 

Also, Genesis were not a stadium act in the 70's in the US. They were barely an arena band. ELP and Yes rarely played actual stadiums(when Yes did it was with other bands). Maybe arenas(there is a difference)and PF were just starting to by the time Animals came out but also mostly just played arenas. Genesis were doing smaller theaters and didn't even start to do arenas until right before SH left. They didn't do stadiums until the 80's.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 20 2020 at 09:36
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 09:33

^ prog is king but sometimes simple catchy tunes are just fun! That's why i love all the pop shlop like bubblegum, euro-disco, new wave, synthpop etc :)

I hate the commercial aspect of much of that music but no denying that bands like Jethro Tull and Beatles were commercialized to death as well.

Site has gotten buggy AF today grrr
Oh, I have a pop sweet tooth. I love older stuff like Odessey and Oracle from the Zombies and Pet Sounds form the BBs, so, to each his own. I even like Daydream Believer from the Monkees. Embarrassed

Edited by SteveG - March 20 2020 at 09:34
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 13:31

You might like this:

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 17:55
AOR, another nonsense genre that doesn't exist as far as musicians are concerned.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 19:05

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I have a bit of a problem with AOR as a concept

It seems that the Album Oriented Rock actually meant in the early 70's about Prog bands and assimilated, and the North American FM radios often played big chunks of albums, sometimes a fill side. This wasn't financially viable for private radio stations, which didn't have many commercial spots to air between 9 or 15 minute tracks. 

However, the AOR concept changed in the mid-70's, when Adult Oriented Radios (FM stations, going to compete with AM stations) chose singles and commercial tracks lasting between 3 and five minutes from rock albums (and their singles) and thus being able to insert much more add slots

Thus, you'll understand that I generally like Album OR, but dislike Adult O Radio TongueLOL

Unfortunately, this is the popular misconception of AOR as Adult Oriented Rock. It's not a business term that was ever used by either the record industry or FM radio stations in the 70s. This a concept that appeared in the late 80s and has no bearing on Album Oriented Rock, which is what my post is about, exclusively.

As an aside, adult oriented rock listening also includes groups like the Carpenters and The Monkees. I didn't know that you were a fan. Wink

The AOR I speak of also has been named FM rock (and even Coroporate Rock, and sometimes Yacvht Rock), but not MOR (Middle Of the Road, which more of an Easy-Listening wist)

But frontiers are blurry and arbitrary. Why has Aerosmith never been considered AOR (or BÖC with their Agents, Spectres and Mirrors trilogy, for that matter), while Boston and Kansas are cited as prime examples of it?

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 04:43

It seems that the Album Oriented Rock actually meant in the early 70's about Prog bands and assimilated, and the North American FM radios often played big chunks of albums, sometimes a fill side. This wasn't financially viable for private radio stations, which didn't have many commercial spots to air between 9 or 15 minute tracks. 

However, the AOR concept changed in the mid-70's, when Adult Oriented Radios (FM stations, going to compete with AM stations) chose singles and commercial tracks lasting between 3 and five minutes from rock albums (and their singles) and thus being able to insert much more add slots

Thus, you'll understand that I generally like Album OR, but dislike Adult O Radio TongueLOL

As an aside, adult oriented rock listening also includes groups like the Carpenters and The Monkees. I didn't know that you were a fan. Wink

The AOR I speak of also has been named FM rock (and even Coroporate Rock, and sometimes Yacvht Rock), but not MOR (Middle Of the Road, which more of an Easy-Listening wist)

But frontiers are blurry and arbitrary. Why has Aerosmith never been considered AOR (or BÖC with their Agents, Spectres and Mirrors trilogy, for that matter), while Boston and Kansas are cited as prime examples of it?

Areosmith are considered AOR. But that use of the initialism this time around is something cooked up sometime time in 90s, by the music press, as Arena Oriented Rock. A way to dodge the pop singles tag associated with AOR in the 80s. Crazy, isn't it? Tongue

Edited by SteveG - March 23 2020 at 05:09
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 06:22
I don't know why so many are against this style of music. The focus is on a strong vocalist as well as a really sick melody that's often accompanied by some really great musicianship. Sure there are plenty of awful examples like Celine Dion or but can anyone honestly say that the following examples which are considered AOR in the sense of Adult Oriented Rock doesn't have some excellent musicianship? I don't think so.

Asia and Planet P are actually here on PA. Neo-prog has borrowed a lot of its slick production and vocal styles not only from 70s symphonic prog but from the AOR of the 80s as well.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 07:06
Don't get worked up. I don't think that anyone here is militantly against AOR as it's has a lot of crossover appeal with prog fans and is quite popular. I'm only stating why I don't care for it, while shedding some light on the AOR confusion.

Edited by SteveG - March 23 2020 at 07:12
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 08:24

The AOR I speak of also has been named FM rock (and even Corporate Rock, and sometimes Yacht Rock), but not MOR (Middle Of the Road, which more of an Easy-Listening wist)

Areosmith are considered AOR. But that use of the initialism this time around is something cooked up sometime time in 90s, by the music press, as Arena Oriented Rock. A way to dodge the pop singles tag associated with AOR in the 80s. Crazy, isn't it? Tongue

Back then, A'smith and early BÖC were probably not really addressing adults, but growing-up eens.
Just a guess
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 09:04
Have no problem with AOR,but I do have a problem with radio playing the same 3 songs, from each from AOR band.Pretty much stopped listening to radio because of that.Got plenty of it on my I-Pod,so I just shuffle through my AOR playlist.Hey presto, my own perfect AOR radio station without the repeats, ads,DJs yakking.
Same works for other genres I like.
Shake & bake.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 10:19

The AOR I speak of also has been named FM rock (and even Corporate Rock, and sometimes Yacht Rock), but not MOR (Middle Of the Road, which more of an Easy-Listening wist)

Back then, A'smith and early BÖC were probably not really addressing adults, but growing-up eens.
Just a guess
But they weren't sugary pop and also did appeal to late teens and early adults.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 10:20
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Have no problem with AOR,but I do have a problem with radio playing the same 3 songs, from each from AOR band.Pretty much stopped listening to radio because of that.Got plenty of it on my I-Pod,so I just shuffle through my AOR playlist.Hey presto, my own perfect AOR radio station without the repeats, ads,DJs yakking.
Same works for other genres I like.
That would work for me as well. If these songs weren't played to death on the radio then I could live a lot easier with AOR.

Edited by SteveG - March 23 2020 at 10:21
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 10:26

Don't get worked up. I don't think that anyone here is militantly against AOR as it's has a lot of crossover appeal with prog fans and is quite popular. I'm only stating why I don't care for it, while shedding some light on the AOR confusion.

Hi,

My biggest issue with it ... is the blatant and over abundant repetition of the same things over and over and over and over ... and my concern is that people get acclimated to those "sounds" and when they hear something new on a "progressive" board, it won't click and they won't like it ... and I've seen this way too many times ... and one example, was kinda sad and pathetic ... playing Ozric Tentacles and the guy really liking the music, but 2 minutes into it ... where's the lyrics? ... and he tuned out ... completely, I mean!

The conditioning hurts the ability to hear new things ... and I'm not sure that this is one of the issues with some new folks here looking for something "like this" or "like that" ... so they can hear something they are "familiar" with ... that is hurting their ability to other kinds of music ... rock music alone, has showed in 50 years that its flexibility is incredible and gone many places ... but in AoR places ... there is no "flexibility" .... 

SIDEBAR: IF you sit down and write 20 songs in a row, they all probably have the same distributor for the material ... guess what? You are being "programmed" into thinking that is all the music that is good so you will buy those records! And the length of the cuts is definitely limited, which automatically cuts out many bands!

Edited by moshkito - March 23 2020 at 10:27
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 10:35

Well, I like one song form the list. Africa by Toto. It's kind of like prog lite.

The only one I like too. AOR is slightly more bearable than mid 80s glam metal and between them, they pretty much killed off rock. If I wanted melodies with strong vocals, I would much rather listen to sophisto pop. ZZ Top had the one very blues rock based album, sort of their Back In Black. I forget the name but that one I like because it sounds nothing like Journey, Boston, Foreigner, Rainbow after Dio left. Dead

Edited by rogerthat - March 23 2020 at 23:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>