Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Riverside

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Riverside
    Posted: February 11 2023 at 15:35
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

So after upon getting several decent spins of I.D entity
I’m easily putting into my top 3 with Riverside rankings in my own mind.

I adore the instrumental tracks with “Age of Anger” and “Together Again”

Such a great complement to the album. I’ve also really enjoyed this album in the 5.1 mix codec. So much fun and very immersive.
I hope more people buy the media book edition with the blu ray. It is worth it in my humble opinion.

Those are easily two of my fav songs on the album......Currently it is spinning as I type Clap

Jose. I also got a new DAP over Christmas and I can’t stop with those tracks!!
Friend or foe is bloody addictive as well. Just hit repeat.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2023 at 15:30

Such a great complement to the album. I’ve also really enjoyed this album in the 5.1 mix codec. So much fun and very immersive.
I hope more people buy the media book edition with the blu ray. It is worth it in my humble opinion.

Those are easily two of my fav songs on the album......Currently it is spinning as I type Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2023 at 10:03
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Sums up my opinion and recent purchase history.  Listening to ID.Enity almost daily.  

Yeah I’ve been giving it a fair go. It is kind of addictive and grows on you. You can kind of start your day with it.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2023 at 09:23
I like their first thee albums--with 2005's Second Life Syndrome being, in my opinion, one of prog's great achievements of the 21st Century--but have been turned off by the odd divergences since. Are they a metal band or an off-shoot of Mariuz' atmospheric Lunatic Soul identity? Part of me thinks that after REM they were out of original ideas and could only be bothered to coopt others'. This latest album definitely seals this verdict for me: they're barley more than a tribute band now.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2023 at 09:00

Sums up my opinion and recent purchase history.  Listening to ID.Enity almost daily.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2023 at 07:35

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2023 at 02:34
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I'm fond of Out of Myself and Second Life Syndrome, but not the later albums.

Now, after a new listen to these two albums and a half of "Friend or Foe?", my view has become complicated even more.

Edited by David_D - February 11 2023 at 09:32
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2023 at 05:17

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Does anyone know what the story is with ID.Entity?  Amazon is only selling the CD for $50+.   InsideOut seems to indicate that they are out of stock on the CD but will re-stock and send out in a few weeks. 

Does anyone have a first impression on the new album?

Scott, my dear chap, if you ever want a first impression on the new album, just take yourself over to your old mate’s website for a cool and considered opinion.

It is a very good album and I had no regrets in shelling out for it.

Same. My dear friend. Spent about 80$ CAN on the hardcover blu ray media book edition. Surprisingly, it is worth it. I dig the artwork as well. A nice atmospheric bonus if I may say.

Have to agree totally although that is based on streaming it only. Artwork is fantastic Thumbs Up
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2023 at 19:33
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^I don't get the hype about Buckethead either. No need to crap on this thread, Mr. Silly Putty.

Not really a comparable artist really. This isn't a love Riverside thread. It says Riverside. I'm just expressing my opinion. Did i say they suck ass? Nope. I don't mind them. I just don't go gaga over them either. The first couple albums are very good but then with the third they blatantly rip off Steven Wilson in too many ways for my liking. That's not crapping. That's critiquing. If blatant copycatism is your thing, all power to ya Wink

BTW i reviewed every Buckethead album more as a public service than anything. Most of those albums are crap! But many gems as well. They needed specific tags for MMA so i took on the daunting task Dead

Edited by siLLy puPPy - February 07 2023 at 19:35

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2023 at 18:57
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Odd one out here...never listen to Riverside! can yous please point me the best album to start with?

2nd life Syndrome is a great place to start. It is their heaviest album.
Then do Love, Fear and The Time Machine which is their least heaviest album.

Lastly. Get the double CD Eye of the Soundscape. You’ll hear them exploring the electronic end of things.

Those 3 albums offer up amazing diversity from the band. You can’t lose out on difference.

Edited by progbethyname - February 07 2023 at 18:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2023 at 18:49
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Does anyone know what the story is with ID.Entity?  Amazon is only selling the CD for $50+.   InsideOut seems to indicate that they are out of stock on the CD but will re-stock and send out in a few weeks. 

Scott, my dear chap, if you ever want a first impression on the new album, just take yourself over to your old mate’s website for a cool and considered opinion.

Same. My dear friend. Spent about 80$ CAN on the hardcover blu ray media book edition. Surprisingly, it is worth it. I dig the artwork as well. A nice atmospheric bonus if I may say.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2023 at 03:18
I discovered this great band twenty years ago. I bought their first CD with the Polish artwork and I was really impressed. Now, I've got 11 of their albums: LPs, EPs, live.

And I often listen to post/alternative/progressive rock/metal bands from Poland: Collage, Quidam, Pinkroom, Yenisei, Sounds Like The End Of The World, Weedpecker, ...

Edited by PhideauxFan - February 07 2023 at 03:21
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2023 at 00:21
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^I don't get the hype about Buckethead either. No need to crap on this thread, Mr. Silly Putty.

LOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2023 at 00:20

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 23:41
As I said before newbie to the band. But I am huge fan now.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 16:55
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 16:50
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Same here. I don't get the hype about Riverside. Too much of a Porcupine Tree production ripoff going on for my tastes. I also don't like the aerie fairiness about them. They're OK but apparently hit a spot with a lot of folks out there :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 16:50
^If I could only choose one Riverside album, it would be ADHD. Gets better every time I hear it.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 16:40

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2023 at 13:08

LasersEdge has the CD, I just saw $13 I think........The album took me a couple spins, but I like it a lot. The first time I heard Friend or Foe it really sounded like A-Ha, that synth beat. But YouTube stinks for music, once I got the record it sounded much better.
New guitarist is on task!!!! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>