Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Gentle Giant and Van der Graaf Generator albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gentle Giant and Van der Graaf Generator albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these studio albums seems the most remarkable/ significant?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.65%]
1 [2.33%]
1 [2.33%]
1 [2.33%]
12 [27.91%]
2 [4.65%]
6 [13.95%]
2 [4.65%]
4 [9.30%]
1 [2.33%]
7 [16.28%]
2 [4.65%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.65%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gentle Giant and Van der Graaf Generator albums
    Posted: April 13 2020 at 06:31
Originally posted by Run Home Slow Run Home Slow wrote:

It's not going to be an easy listen for people who don't get more
adventurous than Kenny-G covering the Minipop Kids version of Justin
Bieber's "Baby", or at least I would think not.

Come on... How Many Kenny G lovers here??

Kenny G plays phenomenally well - but more in the soft jazz / New Age genre. He could be like Theo Travis and join a Prog band and put that talent to really special use. He’ll never be Jaxon though.

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 13 2020 at 06:32
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2020 at 06:27
Pawn Hearts 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 15:49
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I love that whole VdGG trilogy, and actually they are the only VdGG albums I love. There is more Peter Hammill solo that I love than VdGG, but those albums you mention are awesome Well, I love all the albums you mentioned by Buckley, Soft Machine, and Wyatt's Rock Bottom of course, which is totally a desert island disc for me. I now that VdGG is in Electic prog, but The Least We Can Do is I think a particularly eclectic album, which does mix easy-listening songs with more avant-garde, out there expression. H to He would also be an easier listening album than Pawn Hearts for most Proggers and rockers, but I would call Pawn Hearts more progressive because of its avant-garde qualities, but not more Prog possibly? Not sure as I have thought of Pawn Hearts as quintessential art rock Prog (earlier album having a more mainstream, popular music/ rock approach). Some would call it excessive __its a bit like they took some of the earlier music and put it in on steroids. It's more progressive in that it takes it farther, I'd say. Of course it depends upon how one defines progressive (I tend to use "progressive" as an adjective and Prog as a noun in a generic sense). It's the kind of album that would be more likely to appeal to those into our Avant Prog category than, say, our Neo-Prog or Symphonic Prog category.

I agree. Pawn Hearts is more progressive but not more Prog.

PS Have you read my answer to your question about the concept of "overrated" in Pink Floyd's thread?

I did, and Mortte's response to you a day after the fact. Sorry for failing to acknowledge it, which I had meant to do, but then forgot ('twas my birthday week). I should have at least remembered to at the time I responded to Kenneth. I had wanted to take the time, and put the thought into responding to both your response to me and Mortte's response to you, but such things take some time and brain power (which are two things which I sometimes sorely lack -- I'm not being modest, it's true, I really do lack time at times). ;) Sometimes it's hard to figure out one's approach in response, but it's easy to offer a simple thanks.

I get your perspective, and thanks for taking the time there to respond in such a comprehensive manner. Not many would be willing to put the time, examples, and thought into such explanations, and it sometimes pains me when people ask questions, others put time and effort into a response, and then the asker cannot even be bothered to acknowledge the response.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 14:23
Pawn Hearts for me.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 13:19

I love that whole VdGG trilogy, and actually they are the only VdGG albums I love. There is more Peter Hammill solo that I love than VdGG, but those albums you mention are awesome Well, I love all the albums you mentioned by Buckley, Soft Machine, and Wyatt's Rock Bottom of course, which is totally a desert island disc for me. I now that VdGG is in Electic prog, but The Least We Can Do is I think a particularly eclectic album, which does mix easy-listening songs with more avant-garde, out there expression. H to He would also be an easier listening album than Pawn Hearts for most Proggers and rockers, but I would call Pawn Hearts more progressive because of its avant-garde qualities, but not more Prog possibly? Not sure as I have thought of Pawn Hearts as quintessential art rock Prog (earlier album having a more mainstream, popular music/ rock approach). Some would call it excessive __its a bit like they took some of the earlier music and put it in on steroids. It's more progressive in that it takes it farther, I'd say. Of course it depends upon how one defines progressive (I tend to use "progressive" as an adjective and Prog as a noun in a generic sense). It's the kind of album that would be more likely to appeal to those into our Avant Prog category than, say, our Neo-Prog or Symphonic Prog category.

I agree. Pawn Hearts is more progressive but not more Prog.

PS Have you read my answer to your question about the concept of "overrated" in Pink Floyd's thread?

It's here http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122473&PN=2 

Edited by jamesbaldwin - March 27 2020 at 13:59
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 11:47

I'll not risk another frontal assault. This rabbit's dynamite.

I hope you know I love you, man. I'd even be willing to share the comfy chair with you -- well, in actuality more of a comfy extra-plus supersized couch -- if it weren't for this darned pandemic, and my general rule to maintain at least a 100 yard distance between myself and others at all times (or roughly one furlong, as the foot flies, in these troubled days).

By the way, with how rough things are in Spain right now, the Spanish Inquisition would be particularly unwelcome.

Edited by Logan - March 27 2020 at 11:49
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 08:11

By the way, Doug, I know that your questioning could be interpreted as expressing an internal monologue, and those questions are not necessarily being addressed to me. I do that a lot myself as a sort of thinking aloud. It shows my thought process and can help me to choose my direction. But I know some people would generally get confused, frustrated and even upset when a question was posed that was open to interpretation, and say “You should have made it clearer. You needed to explain better.” I commonly like those questions that cause me to think through a few approaches, and then choose one to run with. Some people like it really simple and to be spoon-fed, so to speak.

Side-note: I do like the Socratic method of questions and answers, but that doesn’t tend to work well at forums, I find. Better in person.

It was internal for the most part.....but, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.....

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 07:08
I could easily have voted for VDGG for the best first four poll.

However, overall, I like GG best stuff more.
-John
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 00:38
By the way, Doug, I know that your questioning could be interpreted as expressing an internal monologue, and those questions are not necessarily being addressed to me. I do that a lot myself as a sort of thinking aloud. It shows my thought process and can help me to choose my direction. But I know some people would generally get confused, frustrated and even upset when a question was posed that was open to interpretation, and say “You should have made it clearer. You needed to explain better.” I commonly like those questions that cause me to think through a few approaches, and then choose one to run with. Some people like it really simple and to be spoon-fed, so to speak.

Side-note: I do like the Socratic method of questions and answers, but that doesn’t tend to work well at forums, I find. Better in person.

Edited by Logan - March 27 2020 at 00:43
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 18:49
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Most remarkable...significant...in what respect?

I like Acquiring The Taste  best from that list...though I like most of GG anyway. 
VDGG has always been an effort for me to really get into in any meaningful way....though I understand why many like them.
Interestingly....in college from 1969-1975...no one I knew had any VDGG lp's...but several people I hung out with had GG albums. Does that make them more significant?

That's for you to see decide. I don't think you should need my, or others, validation here to come up with your own approach or approaches. There is no right or wrong way. It seems many people don't really like liberty, like they don't want choice, to think things through for themselves, they seem to need or want others to hold their hands and guide them, and to live in a black and white world without nuance. You are all individuals. You are all different. You've all got to work it out for yourselves! That's the point!

There's a reason why I said "I thought about doing this as Gentle Giant/ Van der Graaf Generator album combos, but instead vote for the album of these that you find most significant or remarkable. Interpret that how you wish." I want people to think about the topic and come up with their own approaches. This is something I very often say (feel like a broken record), and is something I care about. I value creativity, I like open-ended questions, I like people thinking these things out for themselves and I like it when people share their approach, share their own reasoning to go with the choice.

I would say when one is really struggling, read the threads to get inspiration. See how others, including me in my opening post, if more in a silly fashion went about it. I see Pawn Hearts as the most significant and remarkable, and have gone into that (for me the answer is obvious), others will see it differently and take a different approach. The individual's approach is at least as interesting as the individual's answer to me. If you're thinking for yourself, then you're on the right path. Seems you are even if you desired clarification. At least you're questioning, but I'm hoping for more questioning of yourself and deciding for yourself.

Edited by Logan - March 26 2020 at 19:14
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 17:59
Most remarkable...significant...in what respect?

I like Acquiring The Taste  best from that list...though I like most of GG anyway. 
VDGG has always been an effort for me to really get into in any meaningful way....though I understand why many like them.
Interestingly....in college from 1969-1975...no one I knew had any VDGG lp's...but several people I hung out with had GG albums. Does that make them more significant?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 17:53
I don't know which would be the most significant, but even though I mostly like Van Der Graaf Generator better, my favourite album from either would be Gentle Giant's Debut (or the second one).
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 17:30
Octopus
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 17:15
Gentle Giant,  Freehand , In a Glass House or Three Friends !!!
But my vote is Freehand !!!
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 14:36
Gentle Giant, The Power and the Glory.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 13:52
Both bands I absolutely love, so this is uber hard. After quite a bit of thought the album that edges it for me is Octopus by Gentle Giant.There is some magic in that album.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 13:03
It's Pawn Hearts, in'nent it. Life changing.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 11:56
It's between Octopus and Three Friends for me.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 09:28
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Free Hand - the first time the GG philosophy gelled perfectly without over-complication.
Every track is first class, which wasn't true of any of those that went before.
VDGG do nothing for me.

same --well saidClap
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 07:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>