Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tendiwa's introduction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tendiwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tendiwa's introduction
    Posted: March 31 2020 at 11:21
Hi everyone, my name is Tendiwa. I became a member of PA a short while ago. I come from the latter part of the 80s and from the hilly part of the Netherlands.

My musical taste is mainly 1940s/50s/60/70s. Rhythm & blues, rock 'n roll, doo wop, swing, hard bop, avant garde jazz, soul, funk, folk, psychedelic rock, progressive rock and what ever rock. I also like southern sludge and stoner metal. And some modern classical too.

Some of my favourite bands/artists are Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, Soft Machine, Robert Wyatt, Etta James, Elvis Presley, James Brown, The Doors, Captain Beefheart, AC/DC and Eyehategod.

As for prog rock, I'm really into Canterbury Scene. (Soft Machine, Wyatt, Caravan, Egg, Gong, Hatfield And The North, Matching Mole, National Health, Supersister, Moving Gelatine Plates...) Also Gentle Giant, Van Der Graaf Generator, Magma, Eskaton, Yes, King Crimson, The Residents, Can, Eloy, Renaissance and many more.

My music collection is entirely digital. I always like to try to find the best version of every album. No excessive dynamic compression, noise reduction, low quality transfers and fake stereo.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 17:55
I often miss this forum. Welcome, Tendiwa. We share an awful lot in common when it comes to our musical tastes. I hope you enjoy your time here.

-Greg
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 23:38
Lots in common also to my taste, quite recently I have been interested also at least some 30/40s stuff, specially Delta-blues (my faves are Charley Patton, Skip James, Robert Johnson (of course), Son House, Fred McDovell & Bukka White).

Do you like punk-rock at all? Post-punk is also my big faves.

Have to say Hendrix & Beefheart are also one of my biggest musical passions, really love also the Doors, Elvis fifties stuff, Soft Machine first three albums, Zappas first Mothers-period & AC/DC:s Bon Scott-period. When you like James Brown, how about Funkadelic, Fishbone, RHCP & Sly and the Family Stones? Those are my biggest faves in Funk, I really need to listen more James.

Anyway, welcome!!
Tendiwa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tendiwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 15:47
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Lots in common also to my taste, quite recently I have been interested also at least some 30/40s stuff, specially Delta-blues (my faves are Charley Patton, Skip James, Robert Johnson (of course), Son House, Fred McDovell & Bukka White).

Have to say Hendrix & Beefheart are also one of my biggest musical passions, really love also the Doors, Elvis fifties stuff, Soft Machine first three albums, Zappas first Mothers-period & AC/DC:s Bon Scott-period. When you like James Brown, how about Funkadelic, Fishbone, RHCP & Sly and the Family Stones? Those are my biggest faves in Funk, I really need to listen more James.

Anyway, welcome!!
I'm familiar with all those blues men. Great music! I listen to jump blues/early rhythm & blues more regularly though. I really like various artist compilation albums. If they're well compiled, they are a great way to get into these kind of genres. Similarly with soul and funk.

I'm not really into punk. There are some proto-punk bands I like. And I really like the hardcore punk band Minor Threat! I have tried a couple other hardcore bands but I never liked the vocals. And of course there is quite some punk influence in sludge metal.

I don't really listen to those post-70s funk bands apart from a couple tracks on compilations albums. But Funkadelic and Sly & the Family Stone are fantastic. Parliament is another of my favourites. Also Etta James did some fine funky stuff in the 70s.

If you want to get into James Brown I recommend these sets from 1996:
  • Foundations Of Funk - A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969 (2 CDs)
  • Funk Power - 1970: A Brand New Thang (1 CD)
  • Make It Funky – The Big Payback: 1971–1975 (2 CDs)
And if you can't get enough I can same some more. JB's albums are generally not very good, but there are some very good compilations.

Also nice to see you really enjoy the first three Soft Machine albums as well. Their first is my all time favourite album, along with Electric Ladyland and maybe In The Court Of The Crimson King. And I'm also really into Bonn Scott-era AC/DC. Let There Be Rock and Powerage are my favourites.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 23:44
Originally posted by Tendiwa Tendiwa wrote:

Anyway, welcome!!
I'm familiar with all those blues men. Great music! I listen to jump blues/early rhythm & blues more regularly though. I really like various artist compilation albums. If they're well compiled, they are a great way to get into these kind of genres. Similarly with soul and funk.

I'm not really into punk. There are some proto-punk bands I like. And I really like the hardcore punk band Minor Threat! I have tried a couple other hardcore bands but I never liked the vocals. And of course there is quite some punk influence in sludge metal.

I don't really listen to those post-70s funk bands apart from a couple tracks on compilations albums. But Funkadelic and Sly & the Family Stone are fantastic. Parliament is another of my favourites. Also Etta James did some fine funky stuff in the 70s.

If you want to get into James Brown I recommend these sets from 1996:
  • Foundations Of Funk - A Brand New Bag: 1964-1969 (2 CDs)
  • Funk Power - 1970: A Brand New Thang (1 CD)
  • Make It Funky – The Big Payback: 1971–1975 (2 CDs)
And if you can't get enough I can same some more. JB's albums are generally not very good, but there are some very good compilations.

Also nice to see you really enjoy the first three Soft Machine albums as well. Their first is my all time favourite album, along with Electric Ladyland and maybe In The Court Of The Crimson King. And I'm also really into Bonn Scott-era AC/DC. Let There Be Rock and Powerage are my favourites.
When you like Beefheart, have you heard the Birthday Party (really love also Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds), the Pop Group, Minutemen? Those all are post-punk bands really influenced by Beefheart. Also when liking Captain, how about Dr. John & Tom Waits? My four greatest male artists are Beefheart, Dr. John, Tom Waits & Nick Cave. Also from post-punk have to mention Pere Ubu. And one great band that started already in 1967 is the Red Krayola, who has also been a big influence to many postpunkers and were also active in postpunk times (Pere Ubu members play in Red Crayola Soldier-Talk -album). And one great band, that is more influenced by Zappa than Beefheart is Nomeasno.

And when liking Minor Threat, how about Fugazi? Itīs not my biggest favorites (as Minor Threat is not too) but I think itīs better than Minor. About protopunkers I really love Stooges, MC5 & New York Dolls, also liked quite much Death that released their seventies album in 2000`s.

About funky ladies what you think Betty Davies? I really love her! And I like Parliament too, although those Clintonīs bands Funkadelic is more for me.

I am not compilation guy at all, also I am vinyl guy. But thanx about recommendations, I think I will listen Browns albums from those years (those years he seemed to release 2-4 albums a year)! And I think I will start today from "Live At the Apollo", I am not sure have I ever listened it.

Electric Ladyland and In the Court are also in my top10 all time albums list (so is Trout Mask Replica). To me Soft Machine Volume Two is the best. And from Ac/Dc I prefer TNT (I have listened Australian versions of their albums, their originally first "High Voltage" is really great too! And Australian "Dirty Deeds"). But canīt say direction getting weaker into "Let There Be Rock", "Powerage" & "Highway To Hell", love `em all!

Tendiwa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tendiwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 02:01

[***]
[***]
When you like Beefheart, have you heard the Birthday Party (really love also Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds), the Pop Group, Minutemen? Those all are post-punk bands really influenced by Beefheart. Also when liking Captain, how about Dr. John & Tom Waits? My four greatest male artists are Beefheart, Dr. John, Tom Waits & Nick Cave. Also from post-punk have to mention Pere Ubu. And one great band that started already in 1967 is the Red Krayola, who has also been a big influence to many postpunkers and were also active in postpunk times (Pere Ubu members play in Red Crayola Soldier-Talk -album). And one great band, that is more influenced by Zappa than Beefheart is Nomeasno.

And when liking Minor Threat, how about Fugazi? Itīs not my biggest favorites (as Minor Threat is not too) but I think itīs better than Minor. About protopunkers I really love Stooges, MC5 & New York Dolls, also liked quite much Death that released their seventies album in 2000`s.

About funky ladies what you think Betty Davies? I really love her! And I like Parliament too, although those Clintonīs bands Funkadelic is more for me.

I am not compilation guy at all, also I am vinyl guy. But thanx about recommendations, I think I will listen Browns albums from those years (those years he seemed to release 2-4 albums a year)! And I think I will start today from "Live At the Apollo", I am not sure have I ever listened it.

Electric Ladyland and In the Court are also in my top10 all time albums list (so is Trout Mask Replica). To me Soft Machine Volume Two is the best. And from Ac/Dc I prefer TNT (I have listened Australian versions of their albums, their originally first "High Voltage" is really great too! And Australian "Dirty Deeds"). But canīt say direction getting weaker into "Let There Be Rock", "Powerage" & "Highway To Hell", love `em all!

I haven't heard of many bands you mention! I will give them a try.

Betty Davis is great! I have all her albums.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 02:35

[***]
[***]

Hereīs some recommended albums:
the Pop Group: Y
the Birthday Party: Prayers On Fire
Pere Ubu: The Modern Dance
the Red Crayola: Soldier-Talk (if you like sixties psych their first album the Parable Of Arable Land is must!)
Minutemen: What Makes a Man Start Fires
Nomeansno: Wrong

There were also other really interesting bands in US Hc-punk scene in the eighties that really werenīt typical Hc-punk, for example Wipers and Meat Puppets (both were Nirvanaīs Kurt Cobains big favorites). Also have to mention one more Kurt favorite, itīs UK postpunk band the Raincoats and their "Odyshape"-album is absolutely fabulous!

Edited by Mortte - April 11 2020 at 02:36
Tendiwa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tendiwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 02:46

[***]
[***]
[***]

Hereīs some recommended albums:
the Pop Group: Y
the Birthday Party: Prayers On Fire
Pere Ubu: The Modern Dance
the Red Crayola: Soldier-Talk (if you like sixties psych their first album the Parable Of Arable Land is must!)
Minutemen: What Makes a Man Start Fires
Nomeansno: Wrong

There were also other really interesting bands in US Hc-punk scene in the eighties that really werenīt typical Hc-punk, for example Wipers and Meat Puppets (both were Nirvanaīs Kurt Cobains big favorites). Also have to mention one more Kurt favorite, itīs UK postpunk band the Raincoats and their "Odyshape"-album is absolutely fabulous!
Thanks for the recommendations!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 02:57
Youīre welcome Smile
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 14:59
Welcome! 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2020 at 23:19
Welcome to PA!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2020 at 03:05

Hi everyone, my name is Tendiwa. I became a member of PA a short while ago. I come from the latter part of the 80s and from the hilly part of the Netherlands.

My musical taste is mainly 1940s/50s/60/70s. Rhythm & blues, rock 'n roll, doo wop, swing, hard bop, avant garde jazz, soul, funk, folk, psychedelic rock, progressive rock and what ever rock. I also like southern sludge and stoner metal. And some modern classical too.

Some of my favourite bands/artists are Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, Soft Machine, Robert Wyatt, Etta James, Elvis Presley, James Brown, The Doors, Captain Beefheart, AC/DC and Eyehategod.

As for prog rock, I'm really into Canterbury Scene. (Soft Machine, Wyatt, Caravan, Egg, Gong, Hatfield And The North, Matching Mole, National Health, Supersister, Moving Gelatine Plates...) Also Gentle Giant, Van Der Graaf Generator, Magma, Eskaton, Yes, King Crimson, The Residents, Can, Eloy, Renaissance and many more.

My music collection is entirely digital. I always like to try to find the best version of every album. No excessive dynamic compression, noise reduction, low quality transfers and fake stereo.

you share many of my tastes. welcome!

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply