Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just four of my Progressive Electronic Faves

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Please choose a favourite or favourites of these.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
5 [83.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [16.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just four of my Progressive Electronic Faves
    Posted: March 31 2020 at 14:21
I think I tend to overdo it with options (and words), this time I'm just going to mention four. Multiple votes enabled in case you wish to vote for more than one.

Samples for those not familiar with all of these (or any of these):

Anna Sjalv Tredje - Tussilago Fanfara

Franco Leprino - Integrati ... Disintegrati

Igor Wakhévitch - Hathor

Zanov - Green Ray

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 16:27
Franco Leprino. I like must of his music.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 16:57
^ I'm not familiar with his work outside of Integrati... Disintegrati. There is that Franco Leprino 1977 - 1987 Original versions compilation album released in 2009, which I haven't heard. And he may have worked on Roberto Cacciapaglia's The Ann Steel album. I haven't found a lot of info about him out there. I find his music can be good to pair with another Franco, Franco Battiato. I also like Franco Falsini.

Anyway, I adore Integrati ... Disintegrati. I like this Mutant Sounds review:

Quote Music that moves like smoke and incapacitates your defenses as only the finest smoke can, Integrati...Disintegrati blows in on the same esoteric cosmic third stream of Italian 70's underground music that includes Franco Battiato, Pierrot Lunaire, Arturo Stalteri and Luciano Cilio (to cite four key examples) and which owes nothing to the sympho prog fixations of most of their Italian peers. Glazed systemic tides of watery acoustic guitar gently roil atop burbling pools of subtly modulating synth, occasionally graced by whispers of piano, flutes and crying infants. Leprino manages the rare feat of being simultaneously diaphanously delicate and eerily tense.

Currently I'm listening to Hydrus' Midnight in Space which has a similar feel in part. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTPseCAkTJs

EDIT: Think I did it before, but I might do a Franco poll. This won't please the Francophones, but hopefully it will appeal to certain Francophiles while scaring off the Francophobes.

Edited by Logan - March 31 2020 at 17:36
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 18:50
I only know Igor's. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 19:12
Never heard of those....it's amazing how much music is out there I have not heard...
Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 09:26
Sometimes I find it amazing, and just a little sad cause I don't have an exciting life where I can't find the time, how much I do know. ;) There are some big names at PA that I've hardly explored at all, such as Big Big Train. I spent over a year before I joined this site listening to as much music as I could so that I could join as many conversations as possible here, and that heavy listening to new-to-me music continued for some time (and I've received so many excellent recommendations per my tastes over the years from forum members).

For a number of years I discovered so much new-to-me music, but these days I don't discover that much that is new to me. I've always had high-speed broadband, and keep a youtube tab open at all times, so I do still familiarise myself somewhat with new-to-me music fairly regularly. I really slowed down a lot when it comes to listening to music (I have spent more time listening to podcasts and radio dramas/ comedies than music over the last few years, but now I;m back into listening to music again much more).   

I do wish more people would come out with polls and topics (especially, selfishly, on styles of music I like) with fairly obscure artists, because that has been one way that I discovered many.

I am kind of surprised to see just one vote in this multiple-choice poll despite knowing that there are few who know all of these at the site -- David (Guldbamsen -- not now around so much, sadly), Saperlipopette (haven't seen him in far too long -- hope he is okay), Philippe (what happened to him? I miss him), and Mellotron Storm (also sorely missed), I expect likely know all of these (some I know do), and a few others I'm sure. Two of these I discovered because they were recommended to me by a member by PM (Wakhévitch and Zanov), another, the Leprino because of an old poll by Mellotron Storm about eight years ago as I recall, and Anna Sjalv Tredje through googling years ago.

Such music doesn't have as many fans now, it seems, but then forums feel like they are dying out or we just seem get into a rut of just discussing the same 20 or so bands again and again.

Edited by Logan - April 01 2020 at 09:36
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 09:45
I know all of them but had to vote for Franco Leprino as well, it's a very special album. Then Zanov, Anna Sjalv Tredje and Igor Wakhévitch, in that order.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 09:57
Thanks Samuel. I did think of you and wanted to mention you in my list, but didn't want to put you on the spot in case I was wrong.

I've long wanted to do a topic, quiz, on just how well do we think we know our fellow posters (especially for those who have been around for a while and very involved).

Someone once asked what would be your six out of five star albums, and that Leprino album was my choice (it's one of my very favourite albums). Glad to see it getting recognition.

Edited by Logan - April 01 2020 at 10:04
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 10:09
It was actually David who introduced me to all of them (and many more in the wonderful PE world) so in a way I'm included there Big smile I'm more into the more uplifting side of the genre these days. I didn't get much from the AST sample as I used to.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 10:30
I can thank David for Anna Sjalv Tredje cause when I was googling I also came across his review which sold me on it -- he's introduced me to many great albums, including my most recent electronic prog fave, Lindstrøm, which I found very uplifting.

And you've introduced me to plenty of great music too, as well as getting me to revisit music. I'm very grateful to many here for introducing me to really great for my tastes music (tastes which have broadened greatly since joining here), films, TV shows, books and more. Really PA is quite a good one-stop art shop. And I can thank Rocktopus for introducing me to Zanov and Wakhevitch many years ago now (he almost always seemed to be one step ahead of me), and a Mellotron Storm poll for introducing me to Leprino. And Philippe is another who has had a big effect on me in these avenues (and I'm happy to have introduced him to music that he was very enthusiastic about -- It was always a joy to step into his team threads).

The best poll series for me was Pierre's (hellogoodbye) "Little Know Gems". I discovered and-re-discovered various music through that and saw a lot of my favourites to boot. That was an excellent series, I thought, and very successful in response despite focusing on the obscure (lots of people discovered music through that).

PA can be a pretty awesome place even if Captcha still drives me crazy sometimes.

Edited by Logan - April 01 2020 at 10:41
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 11:10
^ I heard it again when he mentioned it in the Synthwave thread, the lovechild between PE and Disco. I like it a lot.

Indeed, I think it's funny that a forum for such a specific genre can be a place to have interesting discussions about all kinds of art (gaming included). I never came across Philippe here although I read many of his posts when I joined the PSIKE team, to guide me in the evaluation process.

I loved Pierre's polls too. I was delving into Prog at the time and I skipped most mainstream names to listen to his recommendations, since it was much more fun to discover all those weird obscurities Big smile

Hmmm, I don't remember the last time I saw a captcha here...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 11:16
I've been returning to this album a lot lately, it has such pleasant vibes:

Funny how it starts with the shelves full of toilet paper, it seems like fiction now LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 12:29
I was going to vote Zanov, but maybe I'd best review the others again...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 12:40
^^ I get hit the most with Captcha on my phone (except when using mobile data) and iPad, but it also can be very bad on my laptops. I use rateyourmusic as a reference site quite often, and get it there too if I'm quickly going through pages, but I don't have to do it again and again as I do here, and then get denied messages. Ah well.

I've listened to Siinai before, and I'm enjoying that very much, thanks. I wish I could step into that video and grab the toilet paper -- some of us might already be down to using kitchen utensils such as a cheese cutter (for when one cuts the cheese), a dough scraper, a spatula, a scoop, tongs, a funnel, a pair of cooking chopsticks, a pastry brush, a lemon reamer, a nutcracker (just for the fun of it), and an oven mitt. And a rolling pin for when one want to roll that dough.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 12:47
My (french) vote for Zanov.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2020 at 13:19
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

My (french) vote for Zanov.

I'm very surprised that you are the first. I thought that would get a number of votes (especially as this poll was set up as multiple choice).

Edited by Logan - April 07 2020 at 13:21
 Post Reply Post Reply